View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #1
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute
Possible new build

Looking at finally retiring my C2D, so I've been having a look around at what's available in my price range.

Anything i7 related is off the table. From what I've seen, i5-4570 is the one to go for price-performance wise, however I see Plat has been on a bit of a "threads uber alles!" rant recently. As Intel's HT options are out of my price range, there's the option of AMD FX-8350 which is close enough to the i5 in terms of price and performance (albeit with a higher power consumption).

Going the AMD route does throw another spanner in the works - I had been planning on going for mATX again, but it appears no-one has bother making an mATX AM3+ board with anything newer than the 760G chipset. I could switch to an A10 as there are plenty of mATX FM2+ boards, but then I'm back to quad core and might as well stick with the i5.

Any thoughts? Anything looming on the horizon for mid-range buyers? Or should I just try and find space for a full ATX build?
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote