GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Software Discussion

Software Discussion Discuss Software and ask for unsupported help

Old 25-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
alsenior

Roller Mine

alsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond repute
Windows 8 - First day impressions (not safe for plats internet)

Windows 8 Ė The first day
Set-up
The set-up installer is simply a reskinned version of the windows 7 installer. I installed windows 8 from my flash drive set-up was quicker than windows 7 but not by a great deal
Installed size wise itís not much bigger ~20GB

Driver wise it grabbed everything if i didnít need the performance the included AMD driver is rather recent and it even installed my network printer without any sort of prompting
First start

First start you have to do the usual tasks create a user account, connect to a network.

When it asks you to create an account you have two options, you can create a local account or you can logon via Microsoft account. This free service allows you to sync setting and files across many computers. I went for a local account then upgraded it to a Microsoft account. You can downgrade the account later.

The metro interface
Itís not very good. But then you probably already knew that. However it you donít treat it as a interface and more of a start menu replacement it starts to get better. What i did was put a few widgets such as weather and facebook feed and my most used apps and it starts to function quite nicely

The good features that make windows 8 worth it.
Explorer upgrade
Microsoft added the ribbon interface to explorer. And it is niiiicceee. Quick access to the common tasks

And the new copy dialog is nice to as it now gives you the ability to pause transfers and it keeps up the speed of transfers balancing them well

Task manager
Upgrades afoot here the new task manager has had a very significant upgrade. It presents the same info as before but it does it in a much better way. You can see what apps are consuming what and it allows to clearly see what is holding up your system.

Also it gives you much nicer graphs showing how much the system is using over time

Storage spaces

Huzzah windows gets pooled storage. Its also rather good apparently i havenít set it up yet but i intend to shortly

Old 26-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Windows 8 - First day impressions (not safe for plats internet)

I heard that Live is now fully integrated, whats that like? looking forward to cross platform play with windows and Xbox on FPS games

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
marky_mark

Poisonous Zombie

marky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the rough
Re: Windows 8 - First day impressions (not safe for plats internet)

nice insight Al cheers
marky_mark is offline   Reply With Quote