GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Media > Books

Books From Classics to Bestsellers. What are you reading currently?

Old 01-08-2008, 05:15 PM   #21
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Author asking for some feedback

I don't know if it's just me but the two figures in the middle of the cover look like a Star Trek landing party. The badger is probably going to turn round any moment and savage the security man to death.
Old 29-09-2008, 03:21 PM   #22
MH6

Scanner

MH6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just thought that I would post this in the spirit of balance, but Iíve just had my first really negative review on Amazon USA! After three five star reviews I got a one (count them!!) star review from someone who thought the book was not good at all. Oh well, you canít win Ďem all
MH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 03:53 PM   #23
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH6 View Post
Just thought that I would post this in the spirit of balance, but Iíve just had my first really negative review on Amazon USA! After three five star reviews I got a one (count them!!) star review from someone who thought the book was not good at all. Oh well, you canít win Ďem all
If its constructive, then contemplate it, see if the reviewer has a point, then reflect on this with your future work.

If its just negative then meh, some people are never happy unless they moan about something.

From the cover and synopsis, I doubt your book would be something I would be interested in, but to get me to read your book takes a whole lot of effort so frankly Im not worth spending any amount of marketing on.

But good luck with the rest of your projects. Its nice to see you pop back every so often and gauge reaction.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #24
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoy reading a good book, many different styles/genres, but I will admit, that my reason for purchasing a book, will in most cases be based on author.

For example, I am right now into the craze of buying every book by Robert Lidlum as I can get my hands on. I think his writing style is superb.

What I'm trying to say in a swings and roundabouts way is, if those 5 star reviwers liked your book, chances are they'll tell family, and friends about it, possibly more customers. And if they liked it enough, they will look out for any future work by you and be loyal customers/fans.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #25
MH6

Scanner

MH6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope you don't mind me sharing this new review from Amazon

'This book is the story of two fourteen year old boys who find themselves transported into a realm of magic and nightmare.
Reminiscent of the Chronicles of Narnia, the story quickly turns into a dark tale of nightmare, lust and cruelty as the two boys find themselves locked in a contest against the ultimate evil, with the stakes being not only their lives, but their souls as well.
Joining Tom Lewis and Jack Barton as they journey through the contantly changing dreamscape of The Magic Lands is like sitting down with Alice In Wonderland and Rob Zombie to drop some acid.
Loaded with iconic imagery, The Magic Lands is a tour de force into a surreal realm dominated by evil and insidious temptation.'
MH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #26
Demonjock

Manhack

Demonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH6 View Post
Hope you don't mind me sharing this new review from Amazon

'This book is the story of two fourteen year old boys who find themselves transported into a realm of magic and nightmare.
Reminiscent of the Chronicles of Narnia, the story quickly turns into a dark tale of nightmare, lust and cruelty as the two boys find themselves locked in a contest against the ultimate evil, with the stakes being not only their lives, but their souls as well.
Joining Tom Lewis and Jack Barton as they journey through the contantly changing dreamscape of The Magic Lands is like sitting down with Alice In Wonderland and Rob Zombie to drop some acid.
Loaded with iconic imagery, The Magic Lands is a tour de force into a surreal realm dominated by evil and insidious temptation.'
Sounds like my two younger sons fighting with thier older brother over that last bit of pizza
Demonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #27
TimmyShire

Fast Zombie

TimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura about

I'd like to say the synopsis is the most important bit upon judging a book, but let's be honest, you see a cool cover and you're going to buy it. Well... maybe that's just me... :P

That said, I quite often read a page or two of the book first as well. I often find myself in Waterstones wasting hours whilst my girlfriend looks at shoes or dresses or whatever it is they sell in Topshop, so I find a book I might like the look of (or one I've already been interested in) and read it. I usually end up leaving with aforementioned book, purely because I have no restraint when it comes to shopping. I can generally tell, though, within a few pages if it's going to be a book I'll enjoy or a book I'll mildly dislike.
TimmyShire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #28
djburty

Houndeye

djburty is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a compulsive buyer of fantasy books and so I have to try and find reasons to convince myself not to buy a book rather than to buy one. One thing I like about a book is thickness - a strange sense of value for money - I'd often choose a 1000 page brick of a book over a thin 250 page one if they are the same price (unless it is a Pratchett book - only books I have on pre order). This is why I have not bought Neil Gaimon's books (except Good Omens obviously LOL) as they are short with big type, despite the fact they are probably excellent books. However, it is often the case that I found that I've bought all the big books in a shop and will then go with cover or blurb or just randomly grabbing one!
djburty is offline   Reply With Quote