GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 14-12-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
Roger_Mellie
Banned

Roger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond repute
Getting a fancy new TV

In the January sales (or when a good deal comes along in the new year) I'm planning on investing in a fancy LCD TV.

I know Richer Sounds do good deals and that's probably where I'll end up buying from. However, I don't know which make/model to be looking at. They're probably all quite helpful in the shop but I don't like asking them because they'll just sell me whichever gives them most commission.

Is anyone on here able to give decent advice on which products to look out for? There aren't any brands I would prefer. I'm pretty much open to suggestion - as long as I can pronounce the name. All I do know is that I'm not buying any $ony products.

Here's the wishlist

26"
Hi-Def/res (whatever it's called on TVs)
Digital ready
HDMI
2+ Scart
Take PC and TV signal
Built-in Freeview would be a bonus, not essential
+ any other good features.

Thanks in advance.
Roger_Mellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Just make sure it has a hi def res and isnt just HD ready, HDMI and HDCP are importent things.

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 08:28 PM   #3
Demonjock

Manhack

Demonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enough
Have you got a costco card m8, casue they got some great TVs in atm and you cant beat them on customer service if anything goes wrong.
Demonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #4
L33

Manhack

L33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to all
Just dont forget m8 that John Lewis will pricematch anyone, and they'll also give a 5yr warranty for free as opposed to the typical 1-year manufacturer standard
L33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
Gunn (LA)

Combine Soldier

Gunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to beholdGunn (LA) is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Just make sure it has a hi def res and isnt just HD ready, HDMI and HDCP are importent things.
I agree with Plat, just try to get one that has a res of 1920 x 1080, thus having true 1080i HDTV capability.

Out of curiosity, why only a 23"?

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.
Gunn (LA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
Roger_Mellie
Banned

Roger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond reputeRoger_Mellie has a reputation beyond repute
I put 26"

It's not for a main TV. It's going to effectively be my monitor, TV and home cinema thing all in one. I'll be quite close so any bigger will burn my eyeballs out!

Might possibly consider 32" for the right price.
Old 14-12-2006, 09:49 PM   #7
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Im getting this in the new year :

http://www.benq.com/products/LCD/?product=839

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 14-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #8
DannyM

Manhack

DannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the roughDannyM is a jewel in the rough
From what i have heard, the samsungs are generally the best LCD's for that size range.

http://empiredirect.co.uk/content/pr...-LE26R72BX.htm

But i aint right upt to scratch on LCD/Plasmas to date, i stop taking interest after we purchased a 42" Panasonic Viera for the living room a few months back .
Old 14-12-2006, 10:41 PM   #9
cloud_ds

Bullsquid

cloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunn (LA) View Post
I agree with Plat, just try to get one that has a res of 1920 x 1080, thus having true 1080i HDTV capability.

Out of curiosity, why only a 23"?

1080i is 540 Horizontal lines IIRC.
1080p is the full whack.

Extra :VGA PC inputs won't do that res, you will need to go say from DVI-HDMI at least.

Or HDMI output - Hdmi if you got the card
Old 14-12-2006, 10:47 PM   #10
L33

Manhack

L33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_ds View Post
Extra :VGA PC inputs won't do that res
Yes it does
I output 1080p from my xbox 360 over VGA
Old 14-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #11
Platinum
raggggggggge

360 only does 1080i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbox.com
Xbox 360 redefines what games look like, sound like, feel like, and play like to engage you like never before. Vibrant characters display depth of emotion to evoke more dramatic responses, immersing you in the experience like never before. You’ll see all Xbox 360 titles at 720p and 1080i resolution in 16:9 widescreen, with anti-aliasing for smooth, movie-like graphics and multi-channel surround sound.

Last edited by Platinum; 14-12-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 14-12-2006, 10:54 PM   #12
L33

Manhack

The autumn update added 1080p support
Old 14-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #13
Roger_Mellie
Banned

I quite like these:

http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showpr...id=LG-RZ26LC2R
http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showpr...=PHIL-26PF5321
http://www.richersounds.co.uk/showpr...PANA-TX32LXD60

Is DVI important?
Old 15-12-2006, 12:36 AM   #14
cnutard

Barnacle

cnutard will become famous soon enoughcnutard will become famous soon enoughcnutard will become famous soon enoughcnutard will become famous soon enoughcnutard will become famous soon enoughcnutard will become famous soon enoughcnutard will become famous soon enoughcnutard will become famous soon enoughcnutard will become famous soon enoughcnutard will become famous soon enoughcnutard will become famous soon enough
How about this one...

Clicky

Its not 26" though

Available in 4 different animals
cnutard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2006, 01:07 AM   #15
Jamz

Antlion

Jamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond repute
gonna buy myself a tv in the new year too, around feb time, looking to spend between 600-700.

clueless on what one to get, but ill hopefully have my 360 by then too....

so all help is gratefully appreciated from this thread :P

roge, that last panasonic one looks quite tasty eh...

x
Old 15-12-2006, 01:39 AM   #16
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
PC in hey..
Sharp LC26SDT1E

26" LCD
16:9 Widescreen
1366x768
Digital Tuner
Contrast 1200:1
HDMI
SCART
PC in
S-Video
Old 16-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #17
cloud_ds

Bullsquid

cloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the roughcloud_ds is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by L33 View Post
Yes it does
I output 1080p from my xbox 360 over VGA

Okay maybe one of us is wrong but I cannot do that res on my tv, untill I moved over to DVI to HDMI to VGA>VGA.

Sharp 42XD1E.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:04 AM   #18
Ste (homz)

Bullsquid

Ste (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz (rupert) View Post
gonna buy myself a tv in the new year too, around feb time, looking to spend between 600-700.

clueless on what one to get, but ill hopefully have my 360 by then too....

so all help is gratefully appreciated from this thread :P

roge, that last panasonic one looks quite tasty eh...

x
haha i was just coming here to make that very post

Plat when u said earlier make sure its not just hd ready why is that ? i have my theory but i want to hear yours,

(mine)
Ive been told and read, some tv's that claim to be hd ready only support 720p, theres no 1080i, i also heard some dont have hdmi connectors which has made me think how are they hdtv's if they dont have these ? im well outa my league with all this new stuff.

could anyone explain ?

cheers

ps what panel are you using lee and how much was it ? i hear the 1080p's are remortage material.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Ste (homz) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 12:11 AM   #19
Ste (homz)

Bullsquid

Ste (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of lightSte (homz) is a glorious beacon of light

Loving that first one Rodge, i may just buy that

Ste (homz) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 03:00 PM   #20
cloud_ds

Bullsquid

1366 x 768 res won't give you full HD.
I don't know why anyone goes for that res, I guess when people don't know much that's what happens.

Do as you do for PC's, DO THE RESEARCH first and not waste your money!!!

"HD ready" is just a marketing gimmick. Once you get your bluray-hd-dvd players in god knows when, you'll be missing out on the full monty.

When I got my display I plugged it in via vga and only got 1366xres, I was like, whaaat!
I had to buy a DVI > HDMI Cable, worked a charm.

Using it to play videos off the pc/consoles and standard def tv atm, and SD TV on the sharp xd1e is pretty good.

However, they cost a fair bit.

I would never go for something with that res on a HDTV.