GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > All Things GameGrin (GG) > GameGrin Distributed Computing

GameGrin Distributed Computing
  • GameGrin Folding@Home
  • GameGrin Seti@Home
  • Milkyway@Home

Old 21-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Folding @ Home a General guide

Thought I would put together a bit of a Folding quick reference so that people can easily get information on the project / clients available, without having to trawl through the forums / Google ect.

First of what is folding?, well rather than me try to explain here is a quick copy and paste from the main folding website :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folding @ Home
Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world.

Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.

Folding@Home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems thousands to millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.
So in a nutshell you can put your spare CPU cycles to good use and in the long run may help to find cures for diseases and help out others in need

The F@H guys have recently put a promotional video up, I think this sums it up better than I could ever do :

Clients

This is what you will need to install on your machine to participate, there are a number of clients available to use making the project accessible to a lot of different people, when installing use team number 76455 to fold for GameGrin

The clients can be downloaded here :

http://folding.stanford.edu/

The Windows client at least is now a unified client, once installed it should detect the hardware capable of folding and ask you what you want to use.

Don't forget to use the teams number of 76455 when signing up!

With any client you install I would always recommend inputting your passkey when promoted, this will then help further to tie the WU to your account so that the credit isn't accidentally given to someone else, you can find details of your passkey here.

Bigadv units

***To be updated***

If you have over 16 CPU cores available in one machine (8 cores + HT heavily overclocked may be ok) and want to get epic points PM me for details.
I will get the details up here at some point.

How to run the client

***To be updated***

The client (Windows at least) is pretty easy, again in the meantime if you get stuck you can PM me.

----------

Hopefully the above information is of use to some of you, I know its far from a complete guide but ill try and update it when I can

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017

Last edited by Platinum; 23-05-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
olobley

Antlion

olobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond repute
Nice guide.

May I also add:
Windows SMP Client - Use when you have more than one CPU, want it running as a service, or frankly don't really care about the pretty display
It'll also crunch bigger work-units worth more points if your system is man enough to keep up
It'll work on i386 & x64 flavours of windows. If you've got more than 4 processors (real or HT cores), you'll need to run another instance, as this only spawns four processes. Just remember to give each instance of it a separate CPU ID.
olobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute
eother im think or you dont say anything about what goes in
Quote:
Start the Console client manually or reboot. It should ask you simple configuration questions and download a few things before it starts work. You can revise these settings later if necessary.
i assume this is something that tells it that i'm 'folding for gameon'
Old 27-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
To tell it you fold for GameOn just put in 76455 when it asks for the team number

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 27-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute
k, maybe that ought to have been in the otherwise smashing sticky ?
Old 27-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
Platinum
raggggggggge

Quote:
Originally Posted by monger View Post
k, maybe that ought to have been in the otherwise smashing sticky ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
This is what you will need to install on your machine to participate, there are a number of clients avalaible to use making the project accessable to alot of different people, when installing use team number 76455 to fold for GameOn

Old 27-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
monger

Alien Controller

Last edited by Platinum : 27-08-2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: monger was right
Old 15-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Platinum
raggggggggge

Just read on another forum that when setting up the client if you select yes for advanced options and select yes for accept Scientific cores when avalaible apparently they give higher scores so its worth everyone enabling this.
Just changed my main box now to enable this so we will see how it goes

To change the config on your client without a reinstall just use -config when running.

Old 15-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute
How does this affect your normal use of the machine. i.e. gaming and working?
I know it's only supposed to do the folding when the machine is idle but when I tried it before (admittedly a couple or years ago, and I think it was the SETI one rather than folding at home) there was definitely a performance overhead to it which I found unacceptable. I had to shut the client down whenever I wanted to play a game which I couldn't be arsed to do so I uninstalled it.
What do you guys find when you start a game up? Do you have to kill the folding client first?
Old 15-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #10
Platinum
raggggggggge

I game with it running in the background and dont have any kind of issues , not done proper benchmarking with it running but I have never noticed any slowdown.
All I can say is give it a go and see how you get on

Old 15-09-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute
Bloody hell, this is going to take some time. It says "Completed 0 out of 4000000 steps" and it's been running for about 40 minutes on 100% CPU utilisation
How long do these work units take?
Old 15-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #12
Platinum
raggggggggge

What CPU?

Old 15-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #13
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Athlon 64 3500

It's been running for just over 3 1/2 hours now and it took almost an hour for the first 40,000 steps. Since then it's been taking about 30 minutes for 40k.
It's up to 240,000 steps now.
At that rate it's going to take about a week for one work unit given that I don't leave my PC on all night.
Old 15-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #14
Platinum
raggggggggge

Ahh no wonder then, Should take a few days

Old 15-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #15
Namer

Manhack

Namer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura aboutNamer has a spectacular aura about
How do you check how far along a wu you are when you have the console client installed? Mine is running as a service now in the background

C2D 4400 @2.8Ghz, 6gb corsair xms ram, 160Gb h/d and 240Gb h/d, 1x XFX 4850 and, of course, water cooled. Currently dual booting XP and windows7 RC.
Namer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #16
Platinum
raggggggggge

unitinfo.txt in the folding folder

Old 10-10-2007, 12:31 AM   #17
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
lost my server 2nite - looks like HDD failure
Old 10-10-2007, 12:33 AM   #18
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namer View Post
How do you check how far along a wu you are when you have the console client installed? Mine is running as a service now in the background
i use FaHMon to keep tabs on my systems (thx to MaddAussie for the recomendation)
Old 10-10-2007, 06:49 AM   #19
Listy

Bullsquid

Listy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to allListy is a name known to all
sure i posted about fahmon ages ago but no matter
Old 23-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #20
Platinum
raggggggggge

Re: Folding @ Home a General guide

Added the SMP client to the clients list, I will have a proper tidy up of this guide tonight as it looks like a lot of the links are out of date.