GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Media > Music

Music Can't get that tune out of your head? Musical dicussion in here.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:39 AM   #1
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Killa-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud of
Starting to build a home studio in Dub

Background:
Since my first time playing a Piano in the late 1980's and and my Amiga days using Octamed in the mid 1990's I've enjoyed just jamming out beats to relax, motivate and inspire! Its always such a creative process which I enjoy so much...
I recall some of the most intense emotions and feelings being brought on my listening to and dancing to music. Of course it was always exciting to create something decent of my own too!

I really have been missing having a working studio setup since I've been living all over the place the last few years. I haven't had a proper decent creative music session since the early 21 century! <look of terror/>

In the 21st century much of my creative energy has been going in to programming and architecture... time to refactor this so its more evenly balanced with music creation!

With so much good material out there inspiring me whenever I put my iPod on, check YouTube or TheSixtyOne... I can't resist the urge any longer!

---

So, per subject, thought I'd share this in hope of tips and feedback from anyone else into this kind of thing. Might even help others starting up.

I'll keep this as up-to-date as I can Here goes!!

My basic last used setup from the early 21 century which I've rescued from the UK:What I have in Dublin already:
  • 2009 Mac Book Pro
  • PC with a decent sound card and some video editing hardware
  • Lots of decent amps, speakers and woofers
  • Lots of screens to... display and sequence stuff
Around Nov 20th I'm taking delivery of:
That lot set up correctly should be able to pummel my sub-woofers and neighbours into submission and give me a "bloody great big smile" as I create some funky beats for playing in the car and some chilled out ambiance for falling asleep to.
Might even share some on the interwebs if I'm ever happy enough with any of it!

On my wish-list, once I've proven to myself I'm worthy, in rough order of "can I afford this":
  • A duel adapter for my keyboard stand
    (so the Roland can live above the R3)
  • One or Two Korg Kaoss Pads
    for on the fly sample output tweaking, (re)sampling, mashups, mixing and maybe some beat box looping
  • A monome or two
    for advanced sequencing and structures to start with
  • Roland MV-8800
    because!
  • Korg Oasys
    This just takes keyboards to the next level
  • Roland GW-8
    It would be rude not to have one to compliment the Oasys

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Achtung Baby!

Xfire: gokyle

Last edited by Killa-Kyle; 02-11-2009 at 05:42 AM.
Killa-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
iNTOXiCATiON

Vortigaunt

iNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to all
Re: Starting to build a home studio in Dub

I am looking forward to see how you progress with this, I have been dabling with my synth for a couple of years now, I am not a musical creative person at heart but there is nothing better then having a go at creating some tracks which i have only recently started doing, as the past time with it has had me learning how to play basic piano and trying to understand the principals.

Shame i will not be able to go as far as i would like with myself with mine as everything at the moment in my life is being downgraded and getting less time to do the things i used to enjoy, due to moving shortly into an appartment.

All the best with this Kyle, I am sure you will create something brilliant

Last edited by iNTOXiCATiON; 02-11-2009 at 11:52 AM.
iNTOXiCATiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute

Kyle Jenkees
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Killa-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud of

its great, November is full of amazing things going on in my life! This is one of em.

I'll share as things progress

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Achtung Baby!

Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

Metal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the rough

all i can say is jealous! I'd love something like this to play with. Have been toying with the idea of getting a small midi/usb keyboard controller. However i know have a piano to play with... Needs tuning, but is an awesome sound. Might have a go at producing again at some point but need some decent speakers.

Looking forward to hearing more of this project kyle!
Metal Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me wanna grab my old Atari ST from my dads loft
Old 04-11-2009, 02:37 AM   #7
djdawsonuk

Bullsquid
Administrator

djdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa, didn't realise there were others on these boards interested in music production..

I'm an FLStudio user myself
CHEAP LAN#94 TICKETS? HERE'S HOW...

djdawsonuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #8
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

FL Studio? Please tell us more!

Achtung Baby!

Old 04-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

Metal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the rough

FL Studio used to be called Fruity Loops. I've always found it very good because it's easy to use straight out of the box. Come's with plenty of good instruments, and is reasonably affordable.

I've used it to make the only couple of tunes that ever got finished, but is what i'll go back to if i get round to having another go.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

I'd vouch for FL, much easier to use than Acid Pro.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

thing is though if kyle's using reason and cubase already there's very little reason to go 'back' to FL. They are much more comprehensive programs!
Old 04-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #12
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Ed View Post
thing is though if kyle's using reason and cubase already there's very little reason to go 'back' to FL. They are much more comprehensive programs!
That's true, cubase is as good as they come.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

you ever tried reason? So good, but so complex unless you have a good grounding in actual physical hardware.

Can make some fuckdaddy sounds with it though!
Old 04-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
djdawsonuk

Bullsquid
Administrator

djdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond repute

I've tried Reason, but found I liked VSTis more than what it came with. Is a very powerful piece of kit tho. I've also used Cubase (at college) and found I prefered the interface to FL more, mainly down to the time I spent with it.

FLStudio's ability to host Reason and VSTis makes for an epic studio. I'm sure the same can be done in Cubase as well

And as for Acid Pro - that can go live with the eJays :P It's more for arranging premade samples than it is for production.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #15
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

yeah rewiring in FL is awesome! You're right Cubase can do it too. I've always found FL easier to use, but like you i've spent more time with it. I understand though from people with more technical knowledge than me that it's compression isn't (or wasn't) very good.

As for acid for live ejaying, isn't ableton like a standard for that?

Oh and Kyle, pics plx!
Old 05-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #16
djdawsonuk

Bullsquid
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Ed View Post
As for acid for live ejaying, isn't ableton like a standard for that?

Oh and Kyle, pics plx!
Yeh, Ableton is the live sample mashing king - acid is more of a pre-production environment like the eJay series were.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Glad there are some other peeps interested in this stuff Thx for sharing!

I'll post pics of the setup late Nov when its all set'ed up!

Achtung Baby!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #18
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

my set up is nowhere near as hardcore, but once i've hmv it sat up in the new place i'll post pics...
Old 06-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #19
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

If I'm ever over in Oireland we gotta hook up and jam!

Lemme know if you ever want any beatbox samples and I'll send ya some shizzle

.EDIT

All I'll say is I'd be careful of the Kaos pads... they have a nasty habit of stealing the show. Case in point - Beardyman. He used to be able to do shows ranging from a few minutes right up to an hour using *just* his voice, but now every show he does uses the KPs. The problem is they don't require any of your original skill - once you've learned how to use them to manipulate your sounds that's it, there's simply no point putting any effort into the rest of your stuff. This is evident when Beardy uses just words to do entire songs. It's cool, but it's certainly not beatbox

Ergo I'd personally steer away from those and get a different loopstation. The Jamman is pretty good and very simple - it's what the missus uses.

I can't remember what the loopstation we were using in Belgium was but that was an absolute BEAST. It had loads of effects and a very large memory to store lots of beats. It also had two inputs, one XLR and one jack. Might've been an RC50...

Hope this post helps, I'm afraid I'm not actually a very musical or technical person, just going off experience and opinions here

Last edited by Fat Tony; 06-11-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #20
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

the kaoss pad thing really depends on what kyle wants it for. They are extraordinary fun to play with!

Depending again what you want it for kyle there are any number of touch sensitive control surfaces out there now. One i had a very brief play with is the Tenori On...crazy little visual synth!