GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion

Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion Chat about all your gadgets, toys and all things geek!

Old 21-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #1
Hamiltonious

Manhack

Hamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enough
CPU Heatsink Advice?

Hi all,

I recently noticed that my not-too-long-ago installed CPU fan was whirring pretty loudly during gameplay.

Checking the temperatures everything seemed normal, if a little high under load (~70-75 at times).

Opened her up to find that my heatsink is jiggling inside its frame (see video - apologies for it being vertical)

I've self-diagnosed it as there not being enough thermal paste to hold the heatsink in place but I thought I'd get a second opinion. I'm heading out to buy paste tomorrow but I'd appreciate any other advice, especially as LAN is around the corner!

EDIT: After opening her up and jiggling it suprisingly it's got worse - it registered ~85-90 whilst playing intensive games.
Hamiltonious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 21-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: CPU Heatsink Advice?

WTF dude?

First off thermal paste does not hold it in place, thermal paste is just there to trasnfer the heat to from the CPU to the heatsink efficiently.

What CPU is that? the heatsink should be clipped / screwed into place?

Can you take some better pictures / provide spec?

"unless it's inside his mouth... yes?" - Acelister 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Also do not apply thermal paste, if you think its holding the heatsink on im sure you will use to much, you only need a pea sized amount.

Get me pics and ill let you know what to do, you will need more paste though as this will need reseating.

Old 21-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
Hamiltonious

Manhack

Hamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enoughHamiltonious will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Also do not apply thermal paste, if you think its holding the heatsink on im sure you will use to much, you only need a pea sized amount.
I only use a pea-sized amount as standard - I did when I installed this one.

The cooler is a Zalman CNPS5X I bought to replace the stock one (which was reporting HUGE temps).

CPU is an i7 4790k.

It's installed in an Intel frame.

Is it perhaps the attachments on the side that link to the frame that are loose?

TBH I'm not adverse to buying a whole new cooler.

I'll brb with pics from inside.

EDIT: For reference it idles at around 35-39, under medium load it goes up to 69-72 and under heavy load ~85

Last edited by Hamiltonious; 21-10-2015 at 09:05 PM.
Old 21-10-2015, 09:17 PM   #5
Hamiltonious

Manhack

Pics!

Old 21-10-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
Hamiltonious

Manhack

Update #3: Tested the screws on the heastsink's connections to mounting bracket - they don't need tightening. The bracket is secured to the motherboard tightly, the clips are attached to the bracket, yet the heatsink still moves.
Old 22-10-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Platinum
raggggggggge

Can you see why its moving around? some part of the mounting mechanism must not be on right? it should push down hard, you can probably twist it but not move it back and forth?

If all else fails ill have a look at it tomorrow.

Old 22-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Platinum
raggggggggge

Looking at the video it seems to me that the screw on top of each clip needs tightning? if the plastic bracket is solidly in place and both clips are attached to the plastic then it must be that the screws are not tight?

Old 22-10-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
Platinum
raggggggggge

TRy unscrewing them and screwing them in again, tighten each a bit at a time,tighten one to much and it will pull it more to that side.

Old 22-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
Hamiltonious

Manhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum
Looking at the video it seems to me that the screw on top of each clip needs tightning? if the plastic bracket is solidly in place and both clips are attached to the plastic then it must be that the screws are not tight?
That's what I thought. I had a go at screwing them in tighter but it seems like they're as tightly in place as possible.

Quote:
TRy unscrewing them and screwing them in again, tighten each a bit at a time,tighten one to much and it will pull it more to that side.
I'll have a go at this. Though after a trip to get thermal paste I'm actually just considering getting some Corsair water cooling... Just in time for LAN...
Old 22-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #11
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

If needs be, we can fix shit at LAN if you've still got the problem tomorrow.

Word to the wise though, I try not to touch anything on my PC at least three weeks before a LAN, especially not at a LAN. Nothing worse than having a Potato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelister
It was this, or play with myself
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #12
Platinum
raggggggggge

If the screws are in right either the heatsinks broken (the bits that stick out) or the plastics not in far enough, either way we can look at it tomorrow, if its proper fucked we bodge it with cable ties until Sat when you can grab a new one from Overclockers

Old 22-10-2015, 02:35 PM   #13
Hamiltonious

Manhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
Word to the wise though, I try not to touch anything on my PC at least three weeks before a LAN, especially not at a LAN. Nothing worse than having a Potato.
Issue is, if I don't touch it it's registering temps of 90+ while gaming and the fan is spinning up loudly when I open web pages. Can't be having that.

Quote:
If the screws are in right either the heatsinks broken (the bits that stick out) or the plastics not in far enough, either way we can look at it tomorrow, if its proper fucked we bodge it with cable ties until Sat when you can grab a new one from Overclockers.
I'll re-apply the paste and reseat the heatsink tonight and see what that does. I blame Intel's mounting brackets if you ask me :P.
Old 22-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #14
Platinum
raggggggggge

Temps are high because there is no preasure between the heatsink and the CPU, the CPU will be throttling like mad as well affecting performance, we can at least bodge this tomorrow probably fix it, if not get a new heatsink on sat

Old 22-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #15
Hamiltonious

Manhack

SUCCESS!

I removed the heatsink, inspected all the parts and test-installed it a few more times to figure out why it was wiggling. As it turned out the metal clips were too wide for the bracket to fit snugly and tightly onto it.

Going all or nothing I used some pliers to make the clip slightly thinner, slipped it onto the bracket and it now fits!

Reapplied the paste, booted up the computer and greeted to this after 15 minutes of testing it on Rocket League:

We're back to regular service, everyone. Cheers for helping.

Doesn't mean I won't keep lookingly longingly at water-cooling though... :P

Last edited by Hamiltonious; 22-10-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 22-10-2015, 11:50 PM   #16
Platinum
raggggggggge

Winrar

Old 01-03-2017, 01:12 AM   #17
AnitaImmer

Scanner

AnitaImmer is an unknown quantity at this point
CPU Heatsink Advice

ok got my stuff. Fitting a front fan, do i want it pulling cool air into the system like the heatsink does, or do i need it pulling all the hot air out?
AnitaImmer is offline   Reply With Quote