GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion

Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion Chat about all your gadgets, toys and all things geek!

Old 13-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #1
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice
Virtual Machines

Ahoi hoi,

I have only really played with virtual box running on my main system or server. Thats well and good and fine for playing around with things and testing. But is there a way to run virtual machines on a dedicated computer that doesn't have a main operating system ?

I ask because it seems silly to install say windows 7 or 10 as an O.S only to have 3-4 virtual machines running on top of that O.S that is already there.

hope that makes sense and that someone knows what I am on about.

Old 13-03-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Maggy

Bullsquid

Maggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Virtual Machines

yeah they are called hypervisors.

and yes they are a thing, low level OS just to boot the virtual boxes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypervisor

you could check out microsofts Hyper-V server
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/eval...server-2012-r2

with that all you need to do is license the guests.
"the law of the universe is the whole thing will turn to ****"
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice

Thanks maggie, yea heard about type and type 2 hypervisers but wasnt really sure if it was a practical thing for home users. Just done some googling on hyper V, that seems to be a pretty good option. Cheers ( does each virtual machine on hyper V need to be licence separately of their own serial number licence ? as i have legal copies of everything I want to run. ( i had better do some goggling on that. ) Sorry for asking something i could have found out online but I always find it interesting to get your guys opinions rather some random webpage.

Cheers again
Old 14-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
Maggy

Bullsquid

Maggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond repute

hyper-v generally doesn't care about the licensing status of its guests. (remember hypervisors can host "other" operating systems as well.. we host a mix of nix and ms OS'es)

as with most things its up to you as the administrator to make sure you are licensed correctly.
"the law of the universe is the whole thing will turn to ****"
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #5
snaggs

Manhack

ok, just wasn't sure if there was some built in thing that only let it run a certain amount of v-machines or anything. cool cool.
cheers for the info.
Old 24-11-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
bobbyuasdy7252

Scanner

bobbyuasdy7252 is an unknown quantity at this point
Virtual Mac

there are a handful that get picky about it anymore, and they pick up any virtual drive. And you can easily hide the virtual drive but turning it off or using a few programs.
bobbyuasdy7252 is offline   Reply With Quote