GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion

Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion Chat about all your gadgets, toys and all things geek!

Old 03-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #1
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice
CEX suck Donkehs warrenty...

Ok, I had a voucher from something i returned to CEX bloody ages ago that i came across when going through old receipts and paper work last week.

I was looking though the website and found something i wanted, another 1TB drive to add to my windows server/nas.

1TB WD yellow, enterprise data centre drive.

Came home from spending the weekend geeking it at Dr.Who Cardiff to find it laying on my floor under the letter box in a shitty very thin (but still bubbled wrapped postal envelope).

I thought straight away oh god, were they that stupid to send it like that and post it though a letter box to fall and smash the 3foot or so onto a tiled floor ( yes they were).

Emailed them and got a reply saying that their products are packaged correctly and it would not be that that caused it.
( i knew they were going to start being tw@ts about it as the item i returned to them before simply did not work properly and they still refused to refund it and would only give me a voucher)

I have looked at the warranty info on WD website (image attached ) and figured instead of faffing around with these idiots I may as well just send it back to them...

The problem I have with the actual drive is that it is seen in the bios fine but upon powering up it just clunks and clunks and clunks ( kinda like the sound you get from a cars indicator being turned on, tick tock tick tock etc)

Anyone got any opinions on this, DO you think WD will replace it under warranty or will they be able to tell that it has been dropped ? ( i am guessing they probably will )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-04-03.png
Views:	27
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	24902  

Old 03-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice
Re: CEX suck Donkehs warrenty...

Here is a pic of the packing, it was just inside a static bag inside this... the padding on the bag is about 1-1.5mm think AT THE VERY MOST, and it was about twice as wide as the drive and about 50% longer so it just slide around in there like my winkie in my x-wifes......
anyway.. :/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0024[1].jpg
Views:	21
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	24903  
Old 03-04-2016, 09:08 PM   #3
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

Give WD a try mate, they will ask for proof of purchase for the drive though and I'm not sure if buying from CEX would invalidate the warranty.

Personally I would be getting CEX to replace it as they have a 12 month warranty on everything as I recall. If they refuse, time for trading standards to get involved.

AFA (From Facebook) :

Yay little boys are awesome...

azrael316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:16 PM   #4
snaggs

Manhack

Yea I have replied to them and am awaiting another reply before I go and send it to WD, Just thought i would think about it out loud here and get people opinions,

Cheers Azrael.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
snaggs

Manhack

Pretty ridiculous packing though wouldn't you say ?
if it was signed for courier it may have been ok, but not for being posted though a door.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #6
dominoid

Antlion

dominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the rough

Doesn't the distance selling act say that they HAVE to refund you in the case of a shipping issue?
dominoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:54 AM   #7
snaggs

Manhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominoid View Post
Doesn't the distance selling act say that they HAVE to refund you in the case of a shipping issue?
No idea, but go, go gadget google !
Old 04-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
djdawsonuk

Bullsquid
Administrator

djdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond repute

Distance Selling regs were replaced by Consumer Contracts regs in 2014, apparently.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...ts-regulations

But you'll be most interested in;

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...lations#link-7 stating they are responsible for the state of the goods until received.
And they are liable *not* the courier (in this case Royal Mail, I guess).

Also, since the device - as delivered - is dead on arrival, then the Consumer Rights Act comes into play in terms of a refund/exchange;

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...mer-rights-act

And, since the device is faulty, you have the right to a full refund - you don't *have* to accept a credit note for it. Though that might be difficult if you paid with a credit note anyway.

---

But, I'd advise not jumping straight down their throats and playing the 'be nice' card instead. My time in retail showed that I'd be more inclined to help out someone that's being nice rather than those that come in all hell blazing.

TLR - CEX should be exchanging this item for you, no doubt about it. As a company whose primary export is DVD/Games, then sticking things in jiffy bags is probably par for the course here, so I'd recommend requesting signed for delivery on a replacement, or having it delivered to a local branch and getting them to test it before you take it away.
CHEAP LAN#94 TICKETS? HERE'S HOW...

djdawsonuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
snaggs

Manhack

cheers, yea i asked them to send a replacement signed for and they said that isnt a problem so fingers crossed now