GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Console Chat > Playstation

Playstation Covers discussions on anything Playstation related.

Old 24-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #1
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud of
PS3 lights problems?

Just been looking on ebay to buy a ps3 (want it for 3d movie support) and noticed theres 1000's of faulty ps3's.

So one thing i have to ask how come ps3 owners rip the pee out of xbox owners about the 3 red rings? As sony does not repair theses for free and microsoft does (even after the 3 year mark)

Just thought i would ask
Old 24-09-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PS3 lights problems?

Well the main reason being the failure rate of PS3's is reportedly less than 1%.

"YLOD" is touted as the equivalent but it really isn't that common, iirc the most common fault in launch PS3's was the blu-ray drive. Some people reckon that the main cause of YLOD is actually heavy dust intake to the point where the motherboard is literally caked and you can't see it.

The only real reason to get Sony to repair a YLOD console is for the system transfer utility, as some save games are copy protected so merely taking the hard drive out of the dead system and placing it in a new one will prevent the use of the same as it is not tied to the consoles serial. With the transfer utility it will allow you to send these to a different console though.

As with Xbox 360, ideally it is best to go for the newer slim console as the manufacturing process improves over time and as does the power rating (iirc launch models used 200W while the slim only uses 80W).
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud of

I've seen quite a couple of yellow and drive failures on ebay and also allot of red lights. My mate even had the red light.

If i buy the ps3 slim i won't get the same issues as above will i? As i'll be using it as a bluray player and i've never sent a dvd player back as they never break
Old 24-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #4
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

It is highly unlikely to see the PS3 slim fail as long as you are sensible with it and don't do something like put it in a cabinet without a little space at the back for exhaust.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

I've asked my friend to bring is ps3 round first to see how good it is before buying one. As it's only the bluray 3d bit i'm really intrested in.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

I think you'll be happy with it, as long as you can get surround sound audio through either optical or HDMI. I can only get simulated 5.1 through my PS3 as my receiver is analogue.
Old 23-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
inmark

Scanner

inmark is an unknown quantity at this point

When I turn on my PS3 I get a quick flash of green, then yellow, then red. The red light continues to flash until you touch the power button again, and then it turns off. What could be causing this?
inmark is offline   Reply With Quote