GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion

Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion Chat about all your gadgets, toys and all things geek!

Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 AM   #1
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Moving to a ITX, Plats long running build log

So this one will take months, I have a plan but dont fancy coughing up the cash in one go, and my current GPU wont fit the ITX case I plan to use but hopefully when the 1080 Ti / Vega is out there will be a model available that will as thats a planned upgrade of mine.

In the meantime I plan to buy the hardware a piece at a time and test fit / play with as I go.
This will also help the bank balance as when I replace a piece of kit I can sell the old kit, the 5930k CPU itself should get me almost enough for the new CPU.

Should also be a small mod in there as well as I plan to cut a small 60mm blowhole in the case for exhaust, it wont push much air especially at 7v but I hope it will be enough to pull enough hot air from the case (you will see why)

So ill start with what I have, a nice power hungry X99 / R9 Fury setup in a MATX case.
Runs great gets good FPS and overall I am happy with it but I have the itch for something new and different and I have wanted a ITX system for a while after playing with many as my media PC's.
I also want to cut the power consumption if possible, the HEDT chips are great but they dont half consume power, a 4 core i7 would be faster for gaming and use a lot less power.

So the spec I am looking at is (could change as a lot of the products have not been announced yet)

Core i7 7700k CPU
Fractal Design Kelvin T12 AIO cooler
Z270 mobo, would like Asus ROG but they dont have M.2 they use U2 now for the PCI-E SSD and I need M.2 for the proposed build.
2x 16gb DDR4 Dimms
1x Samsung SM961 PCI-E M.2 SSD
1x 1tb Crucial SATA SSD (Allready have this)
Corsair AX860 PSU (already have this, might be to big, test fitting later)
Silverstone SG13 case (already have this)
Schitt stack for Audio (USB Dac and AMP)

So it will be going from something this size :

To this :

Should be a lot easier to take to LAN's as well (Rash whens the next one???)

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 13-08-2016, 01:31 AM   #2
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Moving to a ITX, Plats long running build log

Couple of pics of the case I have for this :

From the rear

Sneak peak of the test fit I am doing tomorrow (The SSD is dead btw, using it for sizing)

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 20-08-2016, 10:37 PM   #3
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of

That looks real frickin nice m8, good luck with the build look forward to seeing it come together! <3
Ex0dUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
Platinum
raggggggggge

Thanks, I have changed my mind on the mobo, looking at heeping my 5930k now and getting this :

That said I plan to do that last, the DAC + AMP and the new SSD will be first, by then KAby lake should be out and I can make a final choice

Old 12-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #5
Platinum
raggggggggge

So bit of a update, well not much, changed my mind again, case wise I think I am now going to get the Ncase M1, its sexy as hell!

https://www.ncases.com/

And I think I will flog my 5930k in favour of a 7700k, ill lose 2 cores but ill gain a lot in clockspeed and it will consume a lot less power.
Only downside is only 16x PCI-E lanes on the CPU, the chipset will have 24 but they connect to the CPU via DMI which is essentially 4x PCI-E, it wont be as quick but I dont think ill notice the difference

Old 13-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #6
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of

That is bang tidy little case very nice! Good choice
Ex0dUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
Platinum
raggggggggge

Yea really like the look of it, jsut hope I can do the build I want with decent temps

Old 19-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #8
dominoid

Antlion

dominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the rough

That's a really nice looking case, but what made you want to go ITX? I've always been averse to smaller cases because of the lack of space to fiddle around inside later. Also, you've seen my attitude towards cable management
dominoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #9
bobbyuasdy7252

Scanner

bobbyuasdy7252 is an unknown quantity at this point
Moving to a ITX Plats long running buil

Im going to ask an utterly stupid question here, but are you using wireless in your apartment?
bobbyuasdy7252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 03:28 PM   #10
Aaroncaf

Scanner

Aaroncaf is an unknown quantity at this point
Moving to a ITX Plats long running build log

I want to buy a laptop but i need long battery life at least 8 to hours lol

so please suggest me is there any company which is offering such kind of long battery life laptop?
Aaroncaf is offline   Reply With Quote