GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion

Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion Chat about all your gadgets, toys and all things geek!

Old 03-10-2015, 02:43 AM   #1
Acelister

Garg

Acelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to all
I need a new PC...

I've been putting it off and putting it off, but I can't put it off any longer.

I currently have a Dell XPS 630i, which I can't whack another CPU in, and as it uses DDR2 RAM, I will need pretty much everything. Apparently even a case.

I won't need: graphics card, hard drives.

So, what can I get with a small budget - maybe 500 or so, depending on how soon I want it? What should I avoid (other than Celeron)?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I need a new PC...

As you dont need a GFX card, that is a bonus as that would eat a large chunk of your 500.

I would say anything over an i3 with 8Gb RAM will run games well.

I had an i3 and could run anything i threw at it with the HD6950 taking the brunt of the work.

This base system, without CPU Comes to 267.07 at CCL.

Which gives you plenty of scope for your CPU of choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	system.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	24774  

AFA (From Facebook) :

Yay little boys are awesome...

azrael316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Acelister

Garg

Acelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to all

Looks good. I was thinking of an i5, as I don't mind running things on mid-to-low settings, I'm not a quality whore.

What should I look for in a case? I've had a brief look and seen they vary wildly in price.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
dominoid

Antlion

dominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the rough

main thing I look for is ease of access. sharp lips on the inside that will lacerate your wrist are sadly all too common. Work out what mobo you are getting before you pick the case so you know where you'll need to route cables and you can check out if they'd be easily accessible otherwise you'll curse the choose 2 years later when you're trying to upgrade something. Will you be air cooling? If so, worth working out what kind of flow you'll get by checking out where fan holes are located compared to the main components on your rig.
dominoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth looking at the AMD 8 core FX chips, older design but great value for money.

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #6
Acelister

Garg

Air cooling to keep costs down, at least at first.

I thought AMD had declined in quality over the years? Back in the late 90s, my first choice would have been AMD, but I thought I read that they are prone to overheating.
Old 03-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

put the Fractal R5 case in that lot because its in the Custom PC "best buys" section for cases under a Ton.

With an i5 chip, youre looking at this...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	system2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	24775  

AFA (From Facebook) :

Old 05-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #8
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 600W Corsair PSU
Old 05-10-2015, 07:26 AM   #9
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Optical drive, really?

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 05-10-2015, 10:50 AM   #10
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Optical drive, really?
Always nice to have for those old games mate. And for making DVDs etc.

I dont see Optical Drives going away anytime soon, as much as the industry tries to kill them off.

AFA (From Facebook) :

Old 05-10-2015, 04:07 PM   #11
Platinum
raggggggggge

Optical drives died ike 7 years ago

Old 05-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
Platinum
raggggggggge

SSD added because you need one, you just might not know it yet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	24776  

Old 05-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #13
dominoid

Antlion

dominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the roughdominoid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Optical drives died ike 7 years ago
I still buy any non indie games on disk and going by the amount on shelves, I can't see them dying out any time soon.
dominoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #14
Acelister

Garg

Some AAA games have a DVD with an 8MB install...

Would my current DVD drive fit any case? Also, I do have an SSD as my main drive.

Also, that's a very fair price compared to what I imagined.

Bobster, how much? And would it suit a build like Plat's latest suggestion?
Old 06-10-2015, 06:08 PM   #15
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: I need a new PC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelister View Post
Bobster, how much? And would it suit a build like Plat's latest suggestion?
yeah, same physical size

how much? erm, call it 40 - Corsair CP-9020077-UK Builder Series 650W CS650M ATX/EPS Semi-Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply Unit
Old 17-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #16
MikroTiken

Scanner

MikroTiken is an unknown quantity at this point
I need a ne

I need some new foods. I am getting tired of eating the same thing. You ladies have anything?
MikroTiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #17
Aaroncaf

Scanner

Aaroncaf is an unknown quantity at this point
I need a new PC

I could get in on this too. I posted in the other thread about my graphics card.

I think I need to upgrade my mobo and probably my CPU for that matter too.

Currently have a rather unbalanced Asus A8N-E, 2x1gb Balistics RAM, ATI Athlon 2x4800, Jeantech 650w PSU, and an ATI 4870 512mb DDR5.

I need to do an upgrade too so could find any information in this thread quite handy.
Aaroncaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 04:58 AM   #18
ChristopheLourd

Scanner

ChristopheLourd is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should upgrade your CP-9020077 should be reasonable.
ChristopheLourd is offline   Reply With Quote