GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion > Graphics Cards

Graphics Cards Graphics Cards Discussion

Old 08-01-2014, 08:33 PM   #1
HarrieSilver

Hopper Mine

HarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant future
Radeon HD 4890 problemos

Basically I'm pretty sure I received this gfx card off someone at the LAN and upon launching a game it got about 2 mins in then restarted my PC, for some reason we decided that the PSU didn't support it and I bought another PSU. My sisters gfx card and PSU have recently fucked up and so I put my old PSU in there (will be getting a new one shortly) and the graphics card that I tried with that one before (the one that kept restarting the PC).

We thought it was a PSU issue but I read it only requires a 500W, the PSU she has in there is 570W, i've installed the latest drivers and all that jazz, basically I just need any sort of suggestion on what this problem might be, why it seems to just be rebooting whenever we get into a game with it, other than gaming it's fine to just run off of.

Thanks
HarrieSilver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 PM   #2
HarrieSilver

Hopper Mine

HarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant future
Re: Radeon HD 4890 problemos

Btw, I did get a 650W corsair power supply and this graphics card worked fine, but I've just found this thread which seems to be describing the same problem, and he fixed it by disabling something in the bios. Sound familiar at all ? http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...ausing-reboots
Old 08-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
HarrieSilver

Hopper Mine

This problem seems to be the power supply everywhere I look on the internet, why it requires only a 500W I don't know, does anybody have any good suggestions for one? she probably can't afford a brilliant corsair one, but something decent, over 600W will do, thanks
Old 08-01-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

Probably want to start a new thread if you're now asking for a new PSU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelister
It was this, or play with myself
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
HarrieSilver

Hopper Mine

Was thinking that but really can't be bothered, think shes found one now
Old 09-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #6
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

What PSU is it running on? that card will only pull 250w max so will be fine even on a 400w PSU.

The reason such a high rating is given as a recomendation is that there are shit PSU's out there that cannot sustain there rated wattage for a long period i.e cheap PSU's so its sort of covering them.

A good PSU will do 500w sustained, cheap ones will be 500w peak, i.e they can hit 500w every now and again but pull 500w 24/7 and it will cut out very quickly.

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
HarrieSilver

Hopper Mine

If I remember correctly the PSU was Kris' old one, it's really quite old now I think which would explain why it didn't work both times, planning on getting a new one now
Old 09-01-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, a decent 500w PSU will be fine, unless you want to overclock / crossfire there is little point in spending any more.

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #9
marky_mark

Poisonous Zombie

marky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the rough

think it was my 4890 you have got and the only issue I had found with certain psu's is that it didn't like the 2 GPU connectors coming from the same 12v rail on the psu I had at the time, that was a 1000w so don't think it was power related

PS think mine was a thermltake like the one in the thread

Last edited by marky_mark; 09-01-2014 at 06:01 PM.
marky_mark is offline   Reply With Quote