GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 31-03-2004, 02:16 PM   #1
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

Metal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the rough
Nerds, Geeks, whatever...

What do you define as a nerd of a geek or whatever.

i see a nerd as being someone who is intelligent and technically minded, into computers/music/video, anything technical, may have a propensity towards the sadder end of the spectrum through liking science fiction and fantasy, but would generally steer clear of the old AD&D rule books.

a geek on the other hand is someone who isn't necessarily intelligent, nor do they necessarily like the technical side of computers/music/video, they like the side that will let them play a level 8 mage with necromancy abilities. geeks are the people who play every kind of tabletop-rpg and more.

i can't think of any other category of person at the moment, i'll post some more later when i can be arsed.

your thoughts?

My views, no one else's

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 7x400 @ 2.8Ghz // Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro // 4Gb Crucial Ballistix PC6400 1:1 5-5-5-18 // Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 // BFG GeForce 8800GT OC2 675/1950/1674 // 750Gb Total Storage // LG 194WT 19" Widescreen Monitor
Metal Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2004, 03:33 PM   #2
^SwITcH^

Combine Soldier

^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough^SwITcH^ is a jewel in the rough
Hmmm - this one requires some thought ....
Old 31-03-2004, 04:11 PM   #3
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
My classification -

Nerds - These are the people who play AD&D, Magic the Gathering, Yu-Gi-OH, activities that are generally thought of as SAD!

There usually semi-antisocial, preferring to communicate between tightly nitted groups. Classification - Hackers, train spotters

Geeks - To me geeks are people who take an above average interest in a particular subject. Typically associated with computers, they can range from cars, to planets to other things like that.

I fall into this ^ category

Propellerheads

These people tend to be quite anal on one particular subject. They know everything about one item and one item alone. But its one of those things that not many people do know. Such as astrophysics, or metabolic rates of carcinogenic atoms.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2004, 04:26 PM   #4
NBK
Banned

Location: The center of the universe...more commonly known as Manchester
NBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these parts
maz is a propellerhead

im none of those 3
NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
Weasy

Barnacle

Weasy is an unknown quantity at this pointWeasy is an unknown quantity at this pointWeasy is an unknown quantity at this pointWeasy is an unknown quantity at this pointWeasy is an unknown quantity at this point
Aren't you an Anime fan NBK? Told.

Very similar classification as Colios. I always considered the "Nerd" the sadder of the two anyway. I don't mind being called a Geek but draw the line at Nerd

I play Star Wars Galaxies to much, know a bit about sci-fi and generally am a fan of technology. However I gave up Warhammer when I was 13 (as everyone should), know nothing of D&D and have never sniffed my mothers underwear.

Weasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2004, 04:57 PM   #6
NBK
Banned

Location: The center of the universe...more commonly known as Manchester
NBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these parts
tbh
i only watch anime cuz i like violence :|
and most of the stuff i watch is violent...very very violent
NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2004, 04:58 PM   #7
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
hmm i used to play MtG (now trying to break into the artwork side of it)
and i know quite a bit about a few things
Old 31-03-2004, 05:00 PM   #8
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
and most of the stuff i watch is violent...very very violent

interesting....and yet...NOT

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Old 31-03-2004, 05:59 PM   #9
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute
im a geek. when im on the piss, if a certain few of my non-computer friends disappear, it takes roughly 2 minutes for the conversation between myselft, dayspring, dom and boris to turn to what guns they prefer on cod and the likes.

i can also name my a and b squads in my AS Roma champ game off the top of my head.

thus, im a geek. and proud. not an anti-social geek mind you. just know a lot about things that really dont actually matter. but hey, if you think about it, compared to your family and loved ones and general hapiness, nothing REALLY matters we're all geeks :P
Old 31-03-2004, 06:03 PM   #10
bleecher

Bullsquid

bleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura about
good point monger, with a couple of my mates, the only thing we have in common is chatting about games and thats it! but we see each other on a regular occasion the conversation starts off with the weather and then soon moves onto unreal2k3 and farcry tactics
Old 31-03-2004, 06:49 PM   #11
Teddy

Combine Soldier

Teddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura about
GEEK
noun [C] INFORMAL
a person, especially a man, who is boring and not fashionable:
He's such a geek.

NERD
noun [C] INFORMAL DISAPPROVING
a person, especially a man, who is unattractive and awkward or socially embarrassing:
He was a real nerd in high school - I can't believe he's so handsome now.

sums it up really

I am not one of these and take great offence if someone calls me one.
DJRobJones.Com - everything prog - email info@djrobjones.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own unless stated otherwise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2004, 06:58 PM   #12
MaZ

Human Grunt

MaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura aboutMaZ has a spectacular aura about
im not a propellerhead. I studied the subjects you're talking about for a legit reason so i could get a good mark in my coursework
MaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 06:57 AM   #13
ShoX

Human Grunt

ShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura about
I frequently get called a geek at work, but dont concider myself one, or even a nerd. The ability to spot, identify and give an indepth reason into what the foot long isa card is, and why it has an RS232 socket can get you into trouble sometimes.

I concider myself to be a social proffessional, in the respect that I learn stuff to better my career first, and for enjoyment second. I pass it all up for our regular 2/3/4 pints of a lunchtime anyway
Old 01-04-2004, 07:09 AM   #14
bleecher

Bullsquid

bleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura aboutbleecher has a spectacular aura about
i havnt seen an ISA card in ages

/me dreams back to the days of ISA 33kbs modems
Old 02-04-2004, 11:29 AM   #15
Colio

Garg

Im often called a geek, and quite happy with that..

But I like Shoxs respone "a social proffessional"

To me, though someone calling me a geek, its never in an offensive manner, and is always in respect of the job I do. It means to be that the people believe I can sort it out.

The more they believe the more I can stay in the job

As per my classification, not all geeks are antisocial. Im anything but.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:47 AM   #16
Vertigo

Manhack

Vertigo is on a distinguished roadVertigo is on a distinguished roadVertigo is on a distinguished roadVertigo is on a distinguished roadVertigo is on a distinguished roadVertigo is on a distinguished roadVertigo is on a distinguished road
SHERMANATOR
noun [C] INFORMAL, DISAPPROVING

To have the looks or gait of the "Sherman";
My god look at Ted - he looks like the Shermanator.

Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 08:01 PM   #17
Teddy

Combine Soldier

Teddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura about
wanker :P
DJRobJones.Com - everything prog - email info@djrobjones.com
The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own unless stated otherwise.
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:01 PM   #18
bleecher

Bullsquid

Quote:
Originally posted by Vertigo
SHERMANATOR

roflmao, evil
Old 02-04-2004, 09:02 PM   #19
HoBo

Zombie

HoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enoughHoBo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Vertigo
SHERMANATOR

ROFL .. I agree

... sorry Ted
Lesson #1

n00b player = newbie; player of limited experience and therefore lacking the corresponding skills.

crap player = someone who despite hundreds of hours experience has failed to develop the corresponding skills.
HoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 09:34 PM   #20
Vertigo

Manhack

Vertigo is on a distinguished roadVertigo is on a distinguished roadVertigo is on a distinguished roadVertigo is on a distinguished roadVertigo is on a distinguished roadVertigo is on a distinguished roadVertigo is on a distinguished road
Ted - yes I am and proud of it :P
Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote