GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion

Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion Chat about all your gadgets, toys and all things geek!

Old 07-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #1
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice
Wireless Repeaters

Hi guys, I wanted to get a wireless repeater for where I am staying as the wifi is terrible. There is a nice spot to put one in-between me and the router so the coverage should be fine. but my question is how to they work exactly ?

Do they just find any signal in range and boost it out again ? or do they have to be specificially linked into the router like you would with any other device that connects to a wifi signal ?

also is it possible to "daisy Chain" them ? i.e have the wifi signal run through several of them in a chain back to the router ?

Old 07-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wireless Repeaters

They need to be set to the specific WiFi your trying to extend.

You can (afaik) daisy chain them.

Also, they are rubbish...

Buy a better router.

AFA (From Facebook) :

Yay little boys are awesome...

azrael316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice

cheers for the info but it is not my router it is a company one on a network that i only have simple wifi access to...

Might be a case of drunken night time ninja network cable installation.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
cheers for the info but it is not my router it is a company one on a network that i only have simple wifi access to...

Might be a case of drunken night time ninja network cable installation.
Or Homeplugs, they work pretty well.

Other than that the repeater is your best be then.

AFA (From Facebook) :

Old 07-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
snaggs

Manhack

With the home plugs do they not need to be on the same ring main or circuit though ? Never used them before. I guess ill do some research into that one.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggs View Post
With the home plugs do they not need to be on the same ring main or circuit though ? Never used them before. I guess ill do some research into that one.
Yeah, they do. So, thats out then. lol.

AFA (From Facebook) :