GameGrin Gaming Forums

GameGrin Gaming Forums (https://forums.gamegrin.com/index.php)
-   GameGrin Website Content (https://forums.gamegrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   The Last of Us PS3 Review (https://forums.gamegrin.com/showthread.php?t=58865)

Roister Doister 13-06-2013 03:49 PM

The Last of Us PS3 Review

A new game review has just been added

The Last of Us PS3 Review

Visit here to read more

Snippet:
<p>The Last of UsĀ*is an epic tale of survival and friendship set 20 years in the future after our present day society has succumbed to a fungal outbreak, turning normal everyday human beings into psychotic murderous savages - or worse. It is truly a testament to just how far a current generation console can be pushed graphically, and as a result brings a tale with as much emotion, depth and realism as anything Hollywood can offer.</p>

......Read More

Emseypenguin 13-06-2013 03:58 PM

Re: The Last of Us PS3 Review

Damn this looks amazing. I must own this!!

Ewok 13-06-2013 04:05 PM

Awesome. I'll be getting this in a couple of weeks.

The Griddler 13-06-2013 04:57 PM

Really can't wait to play this.

benjimino 13-06-2013 07:35 PM

Arriving tomorrow morning. I am ready!

Roister Doister 13-06-2013 10:38 PM

I have no doubt you'll all enjoy it. It would have been a definite 10/10 if not for the AI.

VIKINGS 17-06-2013 12:16 PM

Refresh my memory, this is gonna be a ps3 exclusive, right?

Kaostic 17-06-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VIKINGS (Post 508980)
Refresh my memory, this is gonna be a ps3 exclusive, right?

This is a PS3 exclusive. It's already out.

SilentHeaven109 17-06-2013 02:50 PM

"and as a result brings a tale with as much emotion, depth and realism as anything Hollywood can offer."

I really dislike these kinds of comparisons. Mainly because videogames have been so much better than Hollywood movies, recently. I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema and saw anything with any kind of complexity or depth or even a likeable character.

Meanwhile, The Walking Dead, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and The Last of Us have all been astonishingly well written and beautifully crafted, far outstripping any of Hollywood's offerings, and these are the big AAA games selling millions of copies.

It probably wasn't your intention, but these kinds of statements carry an air of "It's good for a videogame" It suggests that games can only ever be beneath or on-par with movies, which simply is not true.

Jamz 17-06-2013 02:58 PM

Nice review, Sir. Might just have to purchase...

VIKINGS 17-06-2013 11:31 PM

Sigh, stupid consoles, wish they never existed, lost too many good games to them.:(

benjimino 23-06-2013 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentHeaven109 (Post 508992)
"and as a result brings a tale with as much emotion, depth and realism as anything Hollywood can offer."

I really dislike these kinds of comparisons. Mainly because videogames have been so much better than Hollywood movies, recently. I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema and saw anything with any kind of complexity or depth or even a likeable character.

Meanwhile, The Walking Dead, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and The Last of Us have all been astonishingly well written and beautifully crafted, far outstripping any of Hollywood's offerings, and these are the big AAA games selling millions of copies.

It probably wasn't your intention, but these kinds of statements carry an air of "It's good for a videogame" It suggests that games can only ever be beneath or on-par with movies, which simply is not true.

I agree.

Roister Doister 23-06-2013 07:24 AM

This comment was partly made to point out that studios like Hollywood have narrative storytelling as their primary, usually only, concern. Games in general don't need storytelling, as it's an industry where its games live or die by gameplay. If a game has a decent story then great! I certainly wasn't suggesting 'it's good for a videogame'; of course games have much better stories and narratives than most movies. But then again, games have a much longer timeframe in which to craft a compelling story, and a movie usually has to condense its message into a measly 90 minutes. They are just two different industries. The comparison made was to suggest that when you're playing the game you're in for a very filmic experience.

Emseypenguin 23-06-2013 10:42 AM

All I took from the comment is that the game is like a shit hot hollywood blockbuster!

Emseypenguin 23-06-2013 11:12 AM

Also I think it's easier to convey emotions in films, as whether they're live action or not they are still graphically ahead of games so faces etc and acting is much more adept at conveying emotion. So for a game to be on that par without the same advantages is really good.

benjimino 23-06-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emseypenguin (Post 509462)
Also I think it's easier to convey emotions in films, as whether they're live action or not they are still graphically ahead of games so faces etc and acting is much more adept at conveying emotion. So for a game to be on that par without the same advantages is really good.

I think games actually have an advantage with regards to emotion. There are games out there that contain a wealth of emotion through sheer game mechanics (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Journey etc.) The fact that the player is inputting anything at all is a huge deal, in my opinion. This is why it is difficult to appreciate a game when you've only watched somebody play it. It becomes another thing entirely when your hand is on the controller.

Books are another example where emotion is conveyed without technological advantages. Substance trumps all.

Last of Us was awesome, and it took the bull by the horns and tackled a lengthy narrative head on. I loved it! Better than any movie I've seen in a while, then again, had it been a movie, it wouldn't have been nearly as effective.

Emseypenguin 23-06-2013 01:29 PM

Yes but developers have to work a lot harder to provide a substantive narrative that tugs on the heartstrings in games, so obviously a lot of work has gone into the last of us to create this immersive experience making it stand out from everything else in the entertainment industry and not just the medium of games.

benjimino 23-06-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emseypenguin (Post 509465)
Yes but developers have to work a lot harder to provide a substantive narrative that tugs on the heartstrings in games, so obviously a lot of work has gone into the last of us to create this immersive experience making it stand out from everything else in the entertainment industry and not just the medium of games.

Maybe it's because I'm not a movie goer, but I find games tug on my heartstrings a lot harder than movies do. I think the fact that they are longer and my investment is both physical and mental is a major factor for me.

No matter the medium, hard work goes into creating something memorable like The Last of Us or any other piece of substantial entertainment.

For me personally, Last of Us shines in this category not because of mo-cap or facial animation, but more dialogue and pacing. I think Last of Us naaaiiillleeddd it. God, it's such a good game.

On my Suvivor run right now!

Emseypenguin 23-06-2013 01:54 PM

I'm not sure what mo-cap is lol! I def want to play this thooooooooough.

Kaostic 23-06-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emseypenguin (Post 509467)
I'm not sure what mo-cap is lol! I def want to play this thooooooooough.

Motion capture.

Traditionally, it's difficult for a game to be able to affect somebody as much as a film would. With a game, you are in putting what happens and ultimately have control over what happens. In a film, you're completely at the liberty of the direction etc.

People tend to just see video games as a fame whilst they see a film as a story. Because of this, I agree with what Roister said about Hollywood. Traditionally speaking, it's the median that tells the most stories. Note, traditionally.