GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Media > Books

Books From Classics to Bestsellers. What are you reading currently?

Old 27-05-2009, 04:23 PM   #1
DBBuzzkiller94

Scanner

DBBuzzkiller94 is an unknown quantity at this point
The Da Vinci Code

I have never really been into reading, and when i have read something, it has usually has something to do with games. But when i saw The Da Vinci Code on my shelf, i thought i would give it a go, and since then i havn't put it down !!

It just seems to grab you, and pull you inas if you in the book trying to solve the clues left for them.
And now i look forward to reading some other of Dan Brown's books

Any recommendations?
DBBuzzkiller94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Da Vinci Code

I haven't read Digital Fortress yet (really must pick it up one day), but I much prefer Deception Point over the two Langdon novels.

If you like Langdon's character though, the next book The Lost Symbol (?) should be out in September. Also, you may want to give Angels and Demons a go, it's set before da Vinci.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
DBBuzzkiller94

Scanner

I have read the start of Angels and Demons at the back of The Da Vinci Code book, at the first few pages are really good, so i may give that one a try !!
Old 02-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
djburty

Houndeye

djburty is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Dead Alive that Deception Point is probably the best. Digital Fortress is pretty good - but a little formulaic (it is his debut novel so can be forgiven!) and Angels and Demons is also good.

I look forward to The Lost Symbol - but will wait for paperback version!
djburty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Quimbolina

Houndeye

Quimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura about

Angels & Demons is by far my favourite. Da Vinci Code a close second. I didn't really like Digital Fortress and I've yet to read Deception Point. I highly recommend Angels & Demons although the end was a bit over the top, I won't ruin it for you but go buy it this instant lol

Quimbolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
DBBuzzkiller94

Scanner

Lol, i will have to give it a go
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
unrealgamer

Fast Headcrab

unrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this pointunrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this pointunrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this pointunrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this point

The Da Vinci book is awesome. Much better than the film.
The other books are really good as well.
Digital Fortress I must admit is one of the best alongside The Da Vinci Code.

Attempting to approach a person in the past without a disguise:
Arthur: "That's not how Halloween works, Gage. You have to put on a costume, THEN you go ask for candy."
unrealgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
Quimbolina

Houndeye

Quimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura aboutQuimbolina has a spectacular aura about

I just borrowed Deception Point from a friend, hope it's as good as the others. I read Da Vinci Code before I saw the film and I thought the film was terrible. That's why I won't watch the Angels & Demons film either, don't want to be disappointed again.

Quimbolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
unrealgamer

Fast Headcrab

unrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this pointunrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this pointunrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this pointunrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this point

The film isn't too bad, nor is it too good.
Just good for those too lazy or just too useless to read.
Plus, it's very good for those who watch a film to fall asleep in, for example, my Dad.

Attempting to approach a person in the past without a disguise:
Arthur: "That's not how Halloween works, Gage. You have to put on a costume, THEN you go ask for candy."
unrealgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #10
Professor

Scanner

Professor is an unknown quantity at this point

Great book, terrible Movie. If you like the Da Vinci Code i reccomend you read The Lost Symbol.
Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #11
dirtysocks

Snark

dirtysocks is an unknown quantity at this point

The Da Vinci Code is a very interesting book. And, yes, the movie is horrible.
Is The Lost Symbol also by Dan Brown?
dirtysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #12
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

The Lost SYmbol is also Dan Brown, yes. It's another Langdon story, I quite enjoyed it, though it seems Brown is running out of things to add to Langdon's character, there's not much else added to his back story, other than his histories with the new characters, so this one plays out at a much faster pace than the other two books.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
dirtysocks

Snark

dirtysocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Hummm... What else could happen to Langdon? I thought everything had been told and there was no more material for a new adventure. But well... I'm getting curious.
dirtysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
kanachan

Snark

kanachan is an unknown quantity at this point

the da vinci code was a pretty addicting read. o.o i finished it in about 2 and a half days. read it through class, on the bus, before i slept. barely put the book down. but the ending... ^^;;;
kanachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
forumer147

Scanner

forumer147 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read da vinci code and it was really controversial. But it seems like they have some point too although those points cause an uproar in the faith of catholics
forumer147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #16
karamoon

Scanner

karamoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Superb book, the film didn't do it justice.
karamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #17
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute

as posted in other thread, i just finished Deception Point

I had just read Angels and Demons a few months ago and thought it was great. Better than Da Vinci code.
In between Angels and Demons I read "Them" by Jon Ronson. Great read - all about the New World Order / Illuminati and all the other random conspiricy crap everyone goes on about. Amazing to see how pretty much fanatic in the world from the KKK to the Taliban seems to beleive in the same thing - The Jewish 'New World Order' is to blame!!
Same author as The Men Who Stare at Goats - not seen that film yet but man i want to

Jeez look how far I have derailed from the da vinci code

edit - just ordered
The Men Who Stare at Goats film tie-in: Amazon.co.uk: Jon Ronson: Books The Men Who Stare at Goats film tie-in: Amazon.co.uk: Jon Ronson: Books
:P

Last edited by monger; 11-03-2010 at 05:23 PM.
monger is offline   Reply With Quote