GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Software Discussion

Software Discussion Discuss Software and ask for unsupported help

Old 06-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Vale

Vortigaunt

Vale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to behold
FTP service help please!!

elo..

I have loads of webspace and a number of people wanting access to some of it, so thought I would set up subdomains for each person, give them a user/login for the domain and lock them to it.....

What I'm wondering is: is there anyway to make it only FTP with no HTTP available? is it even possible?

ta
Old 06-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FTP service help please!!

yes, pretty simple to do and it will not give them a web site at that address to download (or view) the files

to be honest, you dont even need to add a sub-domain for each users, they can share the same domain and not see each other files

Are you running WIN32 or Linux server?

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Vale

Vortigaunt

Vale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to behold

my hosting is on an apache server
Old 06-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #4
Blak

Human Grunt

Blak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond repute

aaaaand that would be a HTTP server, not an FTP server or even an operating system which is what Rash asked.

I'm betting this is with some paid for web hosting using Cpanel bits and bobs to control it all rather than Vale having access to go and install an FTP server on a box.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Vale

Vortigaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak View Post
aaaaand that would be a HTTP server, not an FTP server or even an operating system which is what Rash asked.

I'm betting this is with some paid for web hosting using Cpanel bits and bobs to control it all rather than Vale having access to go and install an FTP server on a box.
correct... sorry should have explained in more detail... so my question should be simplified to say:

can I stop http requests? while allowing ftp access?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
djdawsonuk

Bullsquid
Administrator

djdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond repute

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be able to do this with .htaccess files?

You would essentially be disabling directory listing, which would stop the files from being plainly viewable for anyone to access, you'd also need to disable the ability to view pages from direct links based on the sub-directory they are in.

I'd love to be able to tell you this will definately work, however, it is dependant on your host allowing these .htaccess files. If so, either someone else here will be able to run you through it, or you may need to do some googling on them. I've not personally had a use for them previously, so I can't really offer any further advice than the idea that they may work.

Steve.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Blak

Human Grunt

Blak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC as long as you don't put files into the public_html (or www depending on how things are setup, it's been a while since I last logged into cPanel) folder then nobody can get at them using HTTP.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #8
Vale

Vortigaunt

Quote:
IIRC as long as you don't put files into the public_html (or www depending on how things are setup, it's been a while since I last logged into cPanel) folder then nobody can get at them using HTTP.
I'll test that Blak thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
djdawsonuk

Bullsquid
Administrator

djdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Looking thru the FTP accounts manager on my Cpanel, the prefix for a directory already has the public_html in it,meaning you probably won't be able to do it this way (unless you have a different version of Cpanel, where this has changed)

EDIT:

There is one way of doing this quite simply - if your using cpanel.

Create the FTP account as normal, which will setup their directory (lets say its /john/ ) then, head back to your cpanel home page and you should have a "Password Protect Directories" you create a user (yourself) to have access to /john/, but don't let on the details to anyone (use a password generator if you want a hard to guess password so no-one can guess their way in) then lock down each individual FTP account folder that was created.

This leaves you free for FTP access, and locked out for HTTP access, including direct links to files!

Steve.

Last edited by djdawsonuk; 09-01-2009 at 03:02 AM.
djdawsonuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
Blak

Human Grunt

Ah, in that case .htaccess to the rescue (as dawson initially thought):

Create a folder called /public_html/ftp/john (changing john for whatever user) so it be accessed over http at http://valesbits.com/ftp/john/ (we'll lock it down in a moment).

Then create a file called ".htaccess" in the /ftp folder and in it put the line

Code:
deny from all
This shall stop everything in the /ftp folder (and all it's subfolders) being accessible unless a user goes and creates a his own .htaccess (in /ftp/john/) containing

Code:
allow from all
In which case people could access john's files at http://valesbits.com/ftp/john/ and all the other users would be unaffected.

You are of course free to rename /ftp to whatever you want or even to stick it on as a subdomain like ftp.valesbits/john/ for simplicity's sake. Giving everybody a subdomain each wouldn't really work as you'd need to tell everybody to go create their own .htaccess file rather than you being able to specify some defaults.
Old 24-01-2009, 12:16 AM   #11
Vale

Vortigaunt

thanks for help guys.... this is paused until I get site concerned launched and ftp is a secondary requirement