GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Media > Books

Books From Classics to Bestsellers. What are you reading currently?

Old 22-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute
Harry Potter Spoilers Discussion [contains spoilers obviously]

So there we go, all 7 books

i will try not to say much on the first few lines due to the tooltip on the preceding page.

i was pretty happy with the ending. really assumed there would be an all out sad ending but then realistically that was never going to happen.

everything seemed to fit in pretty well. i guess thats what comes with writing the skeleton to all 7 books prior to writing the first one. cant fault its continuiety.

snape being good after all - assumed that
dumbledore actually dead - didnt assume that but i guess it was as good as euthinasia (sp) as he had already sentenced himself to death by trying to combine all 3 hallows.

the final chapter (19 years later) was more cheese than i could stomach however
Old 22-07-2007, 06:19 PM   #2
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road
Just finished it now.

I loved every minute of every book and felt that it tied every question that I had.

I really like the last chapter (not the 19years later one) and how all the wand stuff fitted into place.

I agree, the 19years later is obviously there to appeal as the children's book.

I'm just unhappy as there will be no more harry potter.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
FREEE THE WEEED

Scanner

FREEE THE WEEED is an unknown quantity at this point
life wont be the same without harry
FREEE THE WEEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 03:38 AM   #4
Jodo

Headcrab

Jodo will become famous soon enoughJodo will become famous soon enoughJodo will become famous soon enoughJodo will become famous soon enoughJodo will become famous soon enoughJodo will become famous soon enoughJodo will become famous soon enoughJodo will become famous soon enoughJodo will become famous soon enoughJodo will become famous soon enoughJodo will become famous soon enough
Loved it, I'd been waiting for this ever since I read the last book (within 6 hours of release) so this to me could have been anti-climatic with expectation this high. I loved the tone of the story, the beginning of the book is certainly bleak, reading about some of the characters dying as the book went on showed just how dark the series had gone and highlights the fact that this last book had a vein of coming of age.

The only slightly dodgy part was the last chapter, it did give me visions of cheese on toast, which, as someone above pointed out was probably for the younger readers benefit.

A cracking end to the series, I just hate to think how much will get cut from the film.
Old 24-07-2007, 06:52 AM   #5
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodo View Post
A cracking end to the series, I just hate to think how much will get cut from the film.
I can't see them cutting any.

I can see them making the last book a dual film...
Old 24-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #6
windy

Manhack

windy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura about
i cant be arsed to read the book. who died? thats all i want to know!

Game0n owns the sig world....
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Snoozer
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy View Post
i cant be arsed to read the book. who died? thats all i want to know!
Lupin
Tonks
Fred
Dobby
About 50 randoms
Voldypants
Mad Eye Moody

Some others as well.
Old 24-07-2007, 04:08 PM   #8
windy

Manhack

windy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura about
so harry and that lot didnt?

Game0n owns the sig world....
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
Boff

Bullsquid

Location: SKELLEFTEĊ, living in Sin with sambo and kid since dec'08 (and loving it)
Boff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to all
I liked it,
it hit target and expectations,
but as for the naming of the kidds in the "epilog" darn JK jowlings, *annoyed*
what about every OTHER name you could have used.

pretty darn bleak up to 306, until the doe in the forsest....I remember it well as camilla wanted to "talk"...grrr...
I really enjoyed the "lost" bit at the begining, very well done, that no-one knew what was happening.

And to my joy, as it gathered pace from this point, towards the end it seamed that it totally was going to miss my earlier guess work....the guess work was.

Snape was good as he was in love with Lilly potter, (occulemncy lessons, Lilly stands up for snape against potter).....Dumbledore's belief in love conquers all and Snape turning spy the night Voldemort goes after the Potters.

That there would be a david eddings stand-off for titt to tatt characters *(i thought you'd see lupin against greyback, but we did get Molly against Belatrix)
with a siege at hogwarts (as it *IS* a castle)
whilst harry hunts for the last horcrux withins the wall, as Voldemort had a passion for objects of historical note.

The last horcrux being harry was a given (voldemorts skills being passed to harry - chamber of secrets, and the reveal in the sixth book that horcruxes exists and that what voldemort intended to do to harry use his death to make a horcrux)

So it was sort of understood by the potter community that Potter had to die to kill off the last horcrux.

then bang, 60 pages left, "we're off to hogwarts" to get the last horcrux...."bollox" is muttered.....

So snapes final reveal was more or less.....a let down, as it had only proved a running theory of mine that i've had for years.

Twisting the death of Harry so he willing gave himself in, that made the horcrux vulnerable, yeah I was wondering how she would "write" potter out of death.

and I had to re-read the "why" as to how voldemort gets "finally" killed off in that duel. The whole wand ownership, this wandlore, seams very "taped on" solution at the end, that somehow voldemort "misunderstood" it all, was v-e-r-y tenuous. That somewho despite wands flipping in and out of ownership among wizards that this kind of thing wasn't common knowledge is shocking....and that somehow the Elder wand could was "tuned into" intent to kill and the motive behind, and not whom killed the last master, was ropey.

and I was annoyed that potter could waltz in shielding...partitioning off his mates, whilst not getting a "shot in" on voldemort.......darn poetic fighting....

aside from that,
I like it a-lot.
Typically in JK Rowlings fashions (and I might add....Stephen King) anyone whom is off help is pushed away, or killed off
Hedwig being decimated early one...kills all lines of communication.
Lupin being forced out.
Moody being whacked off.....(oops...wrong terminology)
Dobby could have been an invaluable help, just information-wise.

Last edited by Boff; 24-07-2007 at 04:29 PM.
Boff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2007, 07:13 PM   #10
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute
dobby proved to be more help than just information. shame kreacher didnt do much more, although he did lead the army of the elves in the final battle.

i really liked how harry gave his life so the others could live. which is why from that point onwards, none of them could actually be killed.

i like the wand story about who owns what wand but i agree that you would think something like that would be more common knowledge if it were the case.
Old 25-07-2007, 02:46 AM   #11
FoxyStoat

Human Grunt

FoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond repute
Loved every single word of it down to the last full stop. Couldnt put it down once I had a "real" chance to start reading it (moving a bedroom around whilst knowing u had HP7 sitting there is not fun!)

Tried not to go into the whole "theory" side of it, guessing who did what/whose gonna die/whose good etc, just wanted to let the story run through without trying to fortell the future.

I liked the whole Snape thing, thought that was a good way of secretly teaching kids the treasure of loyalty etc. Found the wand thing started getting a little confusing but after re-reading it, it made a hell of a lot more sense Was a bit disappointed with the fight between Harry and Voldemort though, it was like 6 books, 500 pages building up to it and 1 spell cast from both of them and he was dead, bit of a let down on that part but still awesome

The Nineteen years later was a bit ghay, but still enjoyed reading it, bar the names that was pretty pissy, IMO I doubt Rowling put that in and rather Bloomsbury added it for effect as if to go "there isnt a 8th thats it, finished..although, we could squeeze out a 1 about Albus Potter if we pay Rowling another million"

Overall though, throughly enjoyed it and cant wait for the film to be released cos the massive fight between the "good" and the "bad" wizards/giants/etc at the end is gonna be amasing on the big screen.
Old 25-07-2007, 01:10 PM   #12
Boff

Bullsquid

Location: SKELLEFTEĊ, living in Sin with sambo and kid since dec'08 (and loving it)
Boff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to all
it's taken over 6 books for the main characters to realise House Elves can dissaparate in places which wizards can't??? ffs, that's been a nagging question since you see Dobby doing it, and at every turn, Ron mentions, why can't they dissaparate into Hogwarts, Herminione, consistantly reminds Ron (in every book as well) that one can not dissaparate in and out of hogwarts (don't you people ever read Hogwarts:a history??) and then I've been screaming than how da f'ck can dobby do it!

Dobbies powers could have been way more help, tipping the balance of the battle, and he could of explained about dumbledores brothers (the eye in the mirror), much early on.

But nope, dobby was used soley to get out of a tight spot in a dues ex machina method(god like device to help out the protagonists) , and then when he could have been further help in a similar manner, he is "removed".
Kreacher could have been taken in and "used" magically in a similar method, performing magic outside the bounds of normal wizarding rules, but nope.
The pace is kept up with the break into gringots so that question isn't asked.

If JK was smart enough to write these books as cleverly as she did, with cute touches such as Neville weaponising the mandrakes, why didn't they use the house elves to just disapparate all the hogwarts students to a safe place, and lay traps i.e. the house elves teleport in and start snatching dark wizards one at a time, and teleport out into a secure location where they are overwhelmed and subdued.

It's only occured to me that Neville killed off Nargini with the Griffindor sword, which of course our intrepid trio lost a few scenes before. But then Neville did have the sorting hat, and must of pulled the sword out of that.
I was suprised Charlie didn't bring some dragons along,
nor that the merpeople were left out of the fight, (just for completion sake to be truly david eddings)
Old 30-08-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
Sami

Scanner

Sami is on a distinguished roadSami is on a distinguished roadSami is on a distinguished roadSami is on a distinguished roadSami is on a distinguished roadSami is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEE THE WEEED View Post
life wont be the same without harry
Life will be a lot BETTER without Harry!!
Sami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #14
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
indeed, can't be bothered with it tbh..
Old 31-12-2007, 01:58 AM   #15
olobley

Antlion

olobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond reputeolobley has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boff View Post
It's only occured to me that Neville killed off Nargini with the Griffindor sword, which of course our intrepid trio lost a few scenes before. But then Neville did have the sorting hat, and must of pulled the sword out of that.
I was suprised Charlie didn't bring some dragons along,
nor that the merpeople were left out of the fight, (just for completion sake to be truly david eddings)
So I only just had time to finish reading this book, and that exact same thing occurred to me...
Surely if the sorting hat could miracle things as needed, why didn't they just reach into it, grab the various horcruxes and be done with it?
olobley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 01:09 PM   #16
Blak

Human Grunt

Blak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond repute
Protective counter-spells against magical retrieval on the horcruxes I guess, the same things that mean they couldn't just say 'Accio Horcrux'.
Old 15-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #17
unrealgamer

Fast Headcrab

unrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this pointunrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this pointunrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this pointunrealgamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Then it would be a boring end if they just "magically" appeared after doing that spell.

Attempting to approach a person in the past without a disguise:
Arthur: "That's not how Halloween works, Gage. You have to put on a costume, THEN you go ask for candy."
unrealgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #18
Derek.Duncan001

Scanner

Derek.Duncan001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Harry Potter Spoilers Discussion [contains spoilers obviously]

Oh I totally loved the books although I was kinda dissapointed by the anti climatic ending Q.Q Of course I guess I beleived that the ending wouldnt be all that good.
Derek.Duncan001 is offline   Reply With Quote