GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 27-05-2003, 02:09 PM   #1
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

Metal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the rough
Books...

ok, so i thought i'd start a thread for people to tell us what their favourite book is, or tell us of a book that is worth reading!

so i'll start off with a book i read last summer, it's called The Illuminatus Trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Robert Shea. A great book encompassing a global conspiracy and higher plains of being!! More than worth a read!!

so what yours??

My views, no one else's

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 7x400 @ 2.8Ghz // Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro // 4Gb Crucial Ballistix PC6400 1:1 5-5-5-18 // Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 // BFG GeForce 8800GT OC2 675/1950/1674 // 750Gb Total Storage // LG 194WT 19" Widescreen Monitor
Metal Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003, 02:20 PM   #2
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice
its been a while since i have read a whole book to be honest. i will have a think about it and try to remember what it was
Old 27-05-2003, 02:23 PM   #3
Jolt

Human Grunt

Jolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enough
There's an awesome card game based on Illuminatus that Ritz plays if he catches this on one of his rare browses. Had cards like "Hitlers Brain in a Jar".

I mainly read by genre or author and don't really have a favourite book, but generally, any of the TSR Forgotten Realms series or the fantasy stuff by David Gemmell or Raymond E Feist. The Forgotten Realms stuff is really swords and sorcery classic dungeons and dragons, the Gemmell stuff is dark fantasy roughly based around large scale warfare and the Feist stuff lies somewhere in between.

I don't like Gemmells post apocalytic stuff tho, but then, I don't like sci-fi books in general, altho I do rarely indulge in some Star Wars books like a good homegrown geek.

You just know every geeks at home in the Waterstones fantasy and sci-fi section.

Roose is to blame for most of it, he got me into the books as he did with Games Workshop stuff and later Lans. Roose is the great corrupter!
Jolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
Jolt

Human Grunt

Jolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enoughJolt will become famous soon enough
Oh crap, err one book you meant?

"Spellfire" by Ed Greenwood (one of the Forgotten Realms ones).
Old 27-05-2003, 02:32 PM   #5
Teddy

Combine Soldier

Teddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura aboutTeddy has a spectacular aura about
anything by Terry Pratchett is usually worth a good read (Mr Discworld) - just Finished "Good Omens" which he did with another guy (forgotten his name thoguh).

Douglas Adams is veyr good with the massive Hitchickers Guide To The Galaxy Seriess (5 in all) and the Dirtk Gently books.

Douglas Coupland is good for generation X books ie people aged around 25 to easly 30's. You can relate to them very well with titles such as Shampoo Planet an Microserfs If your not a Gen X kiddie dont worry cos they are still great books.
DJRobJones.Com - everything prog - email info@djrobjones.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own unless stated otherwise.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003, 02:35 PM   #6
Jolt

Human Grunt

Neil Gayman
Old 27-05-2003, 02:37 PM   #7
Daz

Headcrab

Daz is an unknown quantity at this point
I pretty much only read graphic novels these days, 2000AD, The Preacher and Sin City.

Books wise, I love Tolkiens stuff, the Silmarillion is hard work, but well worth a read.....

....One book I found impossible to put down once I'd started it was The Magic Cottage by James Herbert...fantastic story
Old 27-05-2003, 03:16 PM   #8
ShoX

Human Grunt

ShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura aboutShoX has a spectacular aura about
The only book I've read more than once is Gorbechev's memoirs, bloody facinating stuff.
Old 27-05-2003, 03:20 PM   #9
Boff

Bullsquid

Location: SKELLEFTEĊ, living in Sin with sambo and kid since dec'08 (and loving it)
Boff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to all
I read a great one alst year,
"A childhoods end," by Authur C Clarke"

pretty bland writing as usual by Clarke,
but the story is a constant source of inspiration,
and even more scary it was written in the 50/60's.

Synopsis,
The people of earth wake up one day, after WWII to find Large silver flying saucers have appeared over every major city.

They order mankind not to hurt animals nor comit acts of cruelty to one another. They then 'freeze, or pause' all people in africa, for their misshandling of animals, and their disregard for the new law.

Humans are p1ssed off at being told what to do, even when it is morally right.

50 years later, the overseers don't do much, but their ships remain, The earth in this time prospers.
The main overseer decides to reveal it'self.

It was larger than a human, and had red skin,
it's two horns sticking out of the head matched perfectly to the swaying spiked tail, and the batlike wings.

(in short, Satan had come home )

From here on in, things get 'very' post-modernistic, which would shame captain picard and the federation, and it is quite scary writing, and probably got branded a 'communist' book in that era of time.

It charts the shifting paterns of humanity in a world, where war, money and religion suddenly become erradicated, by the threat of overwhelming none violent force.
Old 27-05-2003, 04:02 PM   #10
Sallie

Human Grunt

Sallie will become famous soon enoughSallie will become famous soon enoughSallie will become famous soon enoughSallie will become famous soon enoughSallie will become famous soon enoughSallie will become famous soon enoughSallie will become famous soon enoughSallie will become famous soon enoughSallie will become famous soon enough
Can't remember who wrote it, but the book's called driver.

It's funny.
Very VERY good read, found it hard to put down.

It's about f1 drivers, and what the get up to off the tracks.
Sallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003, 04:13 PM   #11
windy

Manhack

windy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura about
only book i ever read was the red dwarf 1 called infinity coming or somehting like that.

then i discovered computers and beer

Game0n owns the sig world....
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003, 04:14 PM   #12
FusioN

Human Grunt

FusioN is an unknown quantity at this pointFusioN is an unknown quantity at this pointFusioN is an unknown quantity at this pointFusioN is an unknown quantity at this pointFusioN is an unknown quantity at this point
last book i read was when i was 9 i think... and that was a rarity even then.

never been a fan of books really, when you grew up in a gaming generation, books were seriously unentertaining for me.

problem probobly lies in that i was 5 when i got my first comp, and played arcades before then.. so around the time you start being pushed into books and stuff by school, i just wasnt interested, and was wanting to get home/the arcade for another round of pacland and double dragon.

when u compare a book, to pacland.. there truely is no competition... there is no springboards, or brightly coloured ghosts in a book... there is no score based on how well you own, complete with 3 letter initial entry..

so the result is, ive probobly read one book off my own accord in my lifetime... and maybe a handful of ones forced in class between junior and highschool.
FusioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003, 04:24 PM   #13
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute
dont read often but LOTR and Silmarillion are good. Even the Hobbit is good to get you started on Tolkiens stuff.

ATM i am reading Hunter S Thonpson - Fear and Loathing in America which is a collaboration of his letters from 69-74 i think. makes me feel dumb when you see how god damn clever and funny he is.
Old 27-05-2003, 05:20 PM   #14
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
I've started reading more books in the past couple of years,

one book I just positively couldnt put down was Rainbow Six by Tom Clancy.

I also read and enjoyed Tin Man by Dale Brown.

I recently hammered through LOTR, only due to the imminent release of the films.

But by far my favourite was Rainbow Six, its just pure class.

The only other Tom Clancy I read was Sum of All Fears and thats a good book also.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003, 05:52 PM   #15
NBK
Banned

Location: The center of the universe...more commonly known as Manchester
NBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these partsNBK is infamous around these parts
Terry pratchets discworld series is soooooo good/funny

isaac asimovs foundation series are some of teh best books ive read along with red mars/green mars/blue mars series (can i hell remember who wrote them?)
NBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003, 07:11 PM   #16
Losty

Human Grunt

Losty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the rough
Sigmund Freud's auto-biography.

Makes you rethink things, ya know?
Losty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003, 07:41 PM   #17
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice
to the best i can think, it was probably the Hobbit good read tbh
Old 27-05-2003, 08:13 PM   #18
Boff

Bullsquid

Location: SKELLEFTEĊ, living in Sin with sambo and kid since dec'08 (and loving it)
Boff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to allBoff is a name known to all
Kinda went through a Clive Cusslers 'Dirk Pitt' Novel phase, several years back.

Just read one book, called Treasure.
It's damned fine.

sadly ALL the books are are carbon copy of one another,
this was the first book I read concerning the james bond styled character "Dirk Pitt", but if you read three more books then you'll loose interest.

Another series of books people should read is (dare i say it)
Harry Potter, a little bit kiddy, but (naturally) more in depth and intricate than the films, and a lot more fun.

By the 3-4 book, suddenly the fluffy world of kiddy harry potter, has been shredded away to a mean dark nasty world of evil wizards.

by the end of the forth book, there is a moment where you stop and say to yourself, "woah the shit has truley hit the fan,"

but now, prissy lady who wrote them, has got her money, and now she's having a kid, and she's stalling on the fifth book (one book out every year my arse, she's let loads of people down now two years running)
Old 27-05-2003, 08:36 PM   #19
Minister Rik

Manhack

Minister Rik is on a distinguished roadMinister Rik is on a distinguished roadMinister Rik is on a distinguished roadMinister Rik is on a distinguished roadMinister Rik is on a distinguished roadMinister Rik is on a distinguished road
I've usually got loads of books on the go at once.
5 at the moment.

The Sharpe series are very good. (Fiction)
Sword of Truth series also very impressive. (Fantasy)
Aliens and Aliens vs Predator series. (Si-Fi)

My recommendations.
...The Minister...

Never employ a mentally challenged Gnome. Its not big, and its not clever.
Minister Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2003, 09:04 PM   #20
FusioN

Human Grunt

FusioN is an unknown quantity at this pointFusioN is an unknown quantity at this pointFusioN is an unknown quantity at this pointFusioN is an unknown quantity at this pointFusioN is an unknown quantity at this point
Sharpe owns, ive never read the books (as said above), but ive got the DVD Collectors box which has every episode from the TV version... it's like 14+ cds, and total leetness.

loved em when they were on tv, so when i spied the collectors box in HMV i couldnt resist..

100 quid tho :/
FusioN is offline   Reply With Quote