GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > All Things GameGrin (GG) > Web Site: Updates & Problems

Web Site: Updates & Problems Noticed a problem with the GameGrin site or unsure how to use a feature? Post in here for more information.

Old 12-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #1
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
Announcement Overload + "new" blinkers

Rash,

browsing yesterday, noticed the mass of announcements when hitting the new posts button.

Thats a bit overkill isnt it?. Isnt there a way these bits can be siphoned off to a section on the side, or subforum.

I also take it those "new" + "updated" blinkers are not tied into cookies.....after a month or two, the "new" isnt quite so new and they blinking gets a bit tiresome....

Im just looking for a monkey to punch next...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	17319  

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #2
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

POBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Announcement Overload + "new" blinkers

I think the announcements are designed to go away after you've looked at them. No better way of advertising than forcing it upon people

I kinda agree with all the flashing things however. Looks like a Christmas tree, and hasn't blogs been new for about 3 months now?
POBmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

That image there your showing us is "new posts"
once you click them Colio, they go
if you dont click them, they stay till the days run out on them (which is 5 ish at the moment)
and only stay in the forum we requested them in at the top

So just click em, and they wont turn up on new posts again

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

the "blinking" again is part of getting them noticed
The fact we had the links up there and people didn't notice them for like 4 months

(see this post for example)

The update one is in fact a new update (5 days ago ish)
The other feature are still new to be fair, so no plains on having them taken down yet

The more they are used (which we gather from our hits) that's when they will come down

Your post only confirms this "blinking" works

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-05-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBmaestro View Post
No better way of advertising than forcing it upon people

no better way of annoying people either.

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

well its a proven way it works
we have even done tests over the last 3 weeks just removing them for one day to keep an eye on the stats
100% this system works for us and is working fine
unless you have a better idea for us, there isn't a lot we can do

i mean, if we was charging for using the site, yeah i can see it being a problem
at the moment we having to gear up for a lot of steep competition in the market place for gamers and getting ready to expand the way we have been planning for a long while now.

We are one of the very few sites that have managed to survive on the net over the last 10 years doing what we do.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
Blak

Human Grunt

Blak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colio View Post
no better way of annoying people either.
See, this is exactly what I told him.

I mostly shut up after he said it'd only be for a week or so to get the word out, and after that they'll be restricted to the review system forum. Whether he'll actually go for that or not remains to be seen...
Old 12-05-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

geees lets get lame
come on hes talking about New post views which he wont see once he clicks them
really dont see what the problem is

We are here to get views in on the sites, without that we have nothing

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-05-2008, 11:08 PM   #9
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

POBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of light

I don't really mind, so long as its whatever's best for Gameon. Heck because of this I even felt like checking out the Blog scene and creating one of my own
POBmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 12:20 AM   #10
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the problem. TBH I don't often look in blogs and never in Xboxlive so those are always flashing for me but I don't even notice them. Certainly doesn't annoy me.
Old 13-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #11
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colio View Post
Im just looking for a monkey to spank next...
Fixed
Old 13-05-2008, 09:36 AM   #12
Colio

Garg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks View Post
Fixed

Old 13-05-2008, 05:29 PM   #13
Trepkkos

Manhack

Trepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to all

is there going to be or is there an option to turn them off?
Trepkkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #14
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepkkos View Post
is there going to be or is there an option to turn them off?
this is the problem posted 2 issues/problems in one post

which one are you talking about m8?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 13-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #15
Trepkkos

Manhack

Trepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to allTrepkkos is a name known to all

sorry,

the announcement overload , as i dont regulary hit new posts too much it can get a bit crazy :P
Trepkkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #16
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

you havent been reading have you Trep

Ok recap
The announcement should only show a max of 4 (sometimes 5 for one day)
when you click new post links, they will ONLY stay there till one of the following 2 reasons
1. you click it
2. it reaches 5 days

which has been said before

Try it, and it worth straight away

Follow me on Twitter
Old 13-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #17
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute

wine anyone?
Old 13-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #18
Colio

Garg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
wine anyone?
the joke is "cheese" anyone.

to go with the whine.

lol