GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > Gaming Forums - Chat about Video Games > Rhythm

Old 13-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
Video Games CV

Scanner

Video Games CV is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Guitar Hero 6???

Rumour has it that Guitar Hero 6 is on its way....
Do we need another Guitar Hero?
Some people feel that its lost its way a bit, too much main stream music and needs to go back to its roots of good old Rock & Roll.
What do you think, be interesting to hear other views?
I know my daughter will be happy, can't get her off of the thing on both the DS and Playstation!

Sharon from Video Games CV
Video Games CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Guitar Hero 6???

Guitar Hero lost its way as soon as Harmonix moved on, if they release a guitar hero 6 itll be another ebay when it's 10-15 for me. Now Rock Band 3 on the other hand, i can't wait till thats out later this year.
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
TGK

Civil Protection

TGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond repute

I still think the Guitar Hero series are the best of the music bunch. Fair enough there has been a sh*t load of them and the quality hasn't been consistent but I believe the best tracks come from such series. Here's a link to look at regarding GH6:

http://www.incgamers.com/News/21455/...o-6-confirmed-

I don't you can call them money stealers just for making lots of games. There is a difference between each numbered game (1 to 5) so they are working to make good games, not just re-processing the same stuff.

//EDIT

Lawl, the article shows an IGN Game On interview...
Old 13-03-2010, 11:00 PM   #4
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

as an "older" gamer they have never really appealed to me

we have it for our kids, but we wont buy more for them as they don't hardly play what they have already.

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Games CV View Post
Rumour has it that Guitar Hero 6 is on its way....
Do we need another Guitar Hero?
Some people feel that its lost its way a bit, too much main stream music and needs to go back to its roots of good old Rock & Roll.
What do you think, be interesting to hear other views?
I know my daughter will be happy, can't get her off of the thing on both the DS and Playstation!

Sharon from Video Games CV
It's amusing that people criticised GH:WT and GH5 for being too mainstream whilst then criticising GH:VH for the soundtrack too, despite the fact VH was crammed with classic rock songs.

At the end of the day if it's a fun song to play then who the hell cares whether it's mainstream or not?

Anyway.

I prefer GH to Rock Band purely because I find the songs in GH more enjoyable and entertaining to play. Out of the few hours I've spent playing RB none of the charts struck me as being particularly fun. I also prefer the graphical presentation of GH. I'll probably end up picking up the Rock Band games just because I like the gaming genre, but GH will always be my number 1 choice.
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute

i dont see any major difference between gh or rb. and also i dont understand why people cant help 'fan boy' up to one of them

GH seem to bring more new stuff to their games and besides the 'new stuff' its just down to the soundtrack.
Old 17-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monger View Post
i dont see any major difference between gh or rb. and also i dont understand why people cant help 'fan boy' up to one of them

GH seem to bring more new stuff to their games and besides the 'new stuff' its just down to the soundtrack.
Maybe it's more down to a fact that I am a fan of Harmonix. Neversoft lost my interest after they churned out more Tony Hawk games than I have fingers and toes.

Guitar Hero 1, 2, rock the 80's.
Developed by Harmonix, brilliant games.

Guitar Hero 3.
Developed by Neversoft, timing window you could fit a double decker bus through, ridiculously overcharted songs (for difficulty rather than authenticity)

Guitar Hero WT.
Playing catchup to Harmonix's new venture Rock Band, still a fudged up timing window, the retarded solo's that you can tap reducing difficulty of the genuinely hard guitar solo's it's physically impossible to stretch out 30 seconds of vibrations being dampened by your fingers. Still some arguable overcharting, guitar hero tunes a place where retards can make tha hardest song ever. Weak soundtrack.

Guitar Hero Metallica.
Inherits the weaknesses of previous titles. Adds expert+ which is one of the only things that interests me about the Guitar Hero series, fairly decent soundtrack although some retarded choices. Some retarded charting - See Toxicity Expert Drums.

Guitar Hero Smash Hits.
Inherits the weaknesses of previous titles, adds expert+. Fairly decent soundtrack, only really one or 2 songs that make me question what they were smoking. Some very retarded charting: goodness gracious great chords of thunder the 5 button chord at the end of raining blood.

Guitar Hero 5
Cleans up some of the interface although still does not mend the problem of circle's being placed very close together from the perspective. Fairly decent soundtrack. I've not played it on drums so I wont comment on the charting though I'm sure there will be some retarded sections.

The funny thing I note is the only decent innovation since Guitar Hero World Tour that Activision can boast to it's own series is expert plus. Oh and the logical shift from vocals being measured on a word by word basis to phrases like in Rock Band. The rest of the features they added are meh, I don't want to sit next to 3 friends playing the same guitar/drum/bass chart as they are.

Bearing in mind since Guitar Hero World Tour Harmonix haven't released a single game intended to replace Rock Band 2. There have ofcourse been releases: Rock Band Unplugged for portable, The Beatles: Rock Band, and Lego Rock Band which wasn't developed by Harmonix and was exportable into Rock Band 2. So Activision released: World Tour, Metallica, Smash Hits, 5 and Van Halen in the time between Rock Band 2 releasing and Harmonix announcing the development of Rock Band 3 scheduled for release this holiday season.

TLDR: R.I.P. Guitar Hero 1, 2 and rock the 80's, enjoy gaming heaven with the original Tony Hawk's.
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
monger

Alien Controller

monger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond reputemonger has a reputation beyond repute

i couldnt care less about who makes a game, but more how much i enjoy the game. rockband 2 was just more songs for rockband. i love them both but it was just like buying a bulk trackpack. at least guitar hero games seem to develop slightly with features. that aside, i really have no preference to either. ill play the one that has the songs i fancy playing on. can find myself switching 4 or 5 different discs in a single guitar session
Old 17-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #10
evilgiraffeman

Manhack

evilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really nice

I think Neo hits the nail on the head there.

I got into the serries with Guitar Hero II. Loved it. Great song selection for a rock and metal fan like myself, great difficulty curve which wasn't too hard for beginners and wasn't too difficult for the pros. I still liked Guitar Hero III, felt that it had a bit more polish, perhaps too much, but it was entertaining.

From Guitar Hero: World Tour onwards, I've been put off. Didn't like the song choices, maybe 14 tracks out of 80+ I actually liked. Smash Hits was really pushing it with rehashes of earlier stuff.

I really liked Metallica, because I like the band and felt the other songs were well chosen and suitably heavy. From then on in though, the music taste has just gone off the scale. Might as well call Guitar Hero 5 Band Hero, for the lack of rock and metal on the soundtrack.

I've not played much Rock Band, but the DLC and song selection on the games is far more diverse. There's a lot of rock and far less mainstream pop, indie, alternative stuff, which is not my cup of tea. Even if I liked the songs, I don't think strumming away to repeated chords can really be classed as "Guitar Hero" material.

I mean some of the tracks from Guitar Hero 5 or World Tour couldn't ever be classed as being oustanding Guitar tracks. Ever.

I think the whole music peripheral genre is dying anyway, it's been around for a while and the novelty seems to have worn off for a lot of people, which might explain the lacklustre sales for the latest few music games. Who knows though.
evilgiraffeman is offline   Reply With Quote