GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Off Topic Discussions

Off Topic Discussions For something that doesn't fit in any other category

Old 22-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
TGK

Civil Protection

TGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond repute
Sky+HD

I has it. With HD Sky Sports, but...

Would you pay 9 more a month for a better quality image on some channels?

Discuss.

-TGK
Old 22-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Si^

Vortigaunt

Si^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sky+HD

I have it on the TV in the front room to be honest I don't notice a difference at all.
Old 22-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

Metal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the rough

yes i do pay the extra, and i do watch a reasonable amount in hd. The main reason i wanted a sky+hd box though is after the years subscription is up i have a very good freeview hd reciever with pvr functionality, and the best epg there is!

Plus i got internet and phoneline slightly discounted so that's always a bonus!

Going back to the picture quality thing though, it only really makes a difference to me when watching films, sports, or documentary's. Your average tv shows look nicer, but it's not a massive deal.

[EDIT] Can you really not see the difference Si? Put something like futurama on and flick between sky1 and sky1hd. I thought the difference was quite staggering for things properly recorded in hd, makes less of a difference for older, non-hd shows...

Last edited by Metal Ed; 22-10-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 22-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Si^

Vortigaunt

Si^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond repute

TBH I haven't done a comparison across the channels i have sat down and watched a few films but not a great deal in the front room. i may have to watch a bit more maybe to notice the difference.
Old 22-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

I do plan on getting Sky+HD eventually I just don't have the funds for a box atm plus I barely watch TV anyway.
Old 22-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Metal Ed

Vortigaunt

Metal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the roughMetal Ed is a jewel in the rough

best thing to do Si is pick a hd channel and it's sd counterpart, remember the numbers (e.g. 106 and 170 for sky1 and hd), and flick between them.
Old 22-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

GuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of light

I used to notice quite a big difference on football games. You can easily see the individual blades of grass, and the fans can be made out more. It used to make my mates feel a little bit dizzy when they came over and weren't used to it.

On a tangent, can't remember what article it was, but most people sit too far way from the TVs to get the benefits of HD anyway. All those times mothers told us our eyes would go square if you sat too close to the TV has ruined HD viewing for quite a few people.
Old 22-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuNsLiNgEr View Post
I used to notice quite a big difference on football games. You can easily see the individual blades of grass, and the fans can be made out more. It used to make my mates feel a little bit dizzy when they came over and weren't used to it.
Does it make it any easier to spot beach balls on the pitch?
Old 22-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
fazer

Manhack

fazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud of

Dont have it, and at the moment wont get it, tried it on my system, but prefer to watch films so I sub to lovefilm and rent blu-rays, much better quality.