GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself First time on our forums, introduce yourself & tell us a bit about you.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
TimmyShire

Fast Zombie

TimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura about
Come Poke Fun at the New Boy

Wazzup (do the kids still say that?)

Just thought I'd say hello. Obviously a newb (sorry, n00b) to the forums so 'hello', 'how do' and 'alright?' to everyone.

Naturally I play a lot of the video games. I'll enjoy anything really, but I'm pretty obsessed with the RPG genre. At the moment, however, I'm working my way through C&C Red Alert 3 (Ultimate Edition!!!) as well as a vast collection of downloaded games.

Other noteworthy points; I'm a trophy *****, I have brown hair and am currently sat askew.

Peace. (or is it 'word' now?)

EDIT: Okay, now I have no idea how to describe my obsession with trophies...
TimmyShire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Come Poke Fun at the New Boy

Timmy, I think your obsession with Trophies could be described as an illness. Welcome to the Forums.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Jazzmaverickjim

Houndeye

Jazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished roadJazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished roadJazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished roadJazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished roadJazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished roadJazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished roadJazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished road
18 + Re: Come Poke Fun at the New Boy

It depends on the kinds of trophies. i.e severed heads in freezers. not cool! but big shiny metal ones. Cool.
Jazzmaverickjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

POBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the forums, what RPG's in particular are you obsessed with?
POBmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
TimmyShire

Fast Zombie

TimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura aboutTimmyShire has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBmaestro View Post
Welcome to the forums, what RPG's in particular are you obsessed with?
Any and all, mostly. At the moment I'm currently playing Disgaea 3 but, considering the eternal nature of the game, I'm playing other games at the same time (not simultaneously, of course :P). Other than that, I had Eternal Sonata since February and still haven't played much of that.

If you mean obsessed with as in my favourite RPG, I'd have to say Baldur's Gate on the PC (1 and 2) as I must've played that game more times than any other game. Ever.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:24 PM   #6
TimmyShire

Fast Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmaverickjim View Post
It depends on the kinds of trophies. i.e severed heads in freezers. not cool! but big shiny metal ones. Cool.
How about shiny metal ones with thawing heads inside them? I can arrange that if that's better?
Old 12-04-2009, 06:29 PM   #7
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

POBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyShire View Post
Any and all, mostly. At the moment I'm currently playing Disgaea 3 but, considering the eternal nature of the game, I'm playing other games at the same time (not simultaneously, of course :P). Other than that, I had Eternal Sonata since February and still haven't played much of that.

If you mean obsessed with as in my favourite RPG, I'd have to say Baldur's Gate on the PC (1 and 2) as I must've played that game more times than any other game. Ever.
Hehe I see, those are games you can lose a lot of time in. I also love RPG's but not those type

Oblivion is my particular favourite and I've recently been enjoying Fable 2 and Mass Effect, if any of those take your fancy at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyShire
I lol'd, mainly because of the subtle pun
Old 12-04-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
JK Ferret

Human Grunt

JK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Mass Effect was a load of bol... not good as an RPG at all. Although, I do tend to much prefer the JRPGs.

Welcome to the forums Tiimmy, it's always good to have another RPG fan

If you haven't already, check this out: http://forums.gamegrin.com/showthread.php?t=40427 . It's all good
JK Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:12 PM   #9
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Ferret View Post
I thought Mass Effect was a load of bol... not good as an RPG at all. Although, I do tend to much prefer the JRPGs.

Welcome to the forums Tiimmy, it's always good to have another RPG fan

If you haven't already, check this out: http://forums.gamegrin.com/showthread.php?t=40427 . It's all good
I'm really enjoying Mass Effect, but then I can see why it's not to everyone's taste. It's a bit slow paced and sometimes repetitive (sounds like Baldurs Gate :P), but I've lost 30hrs of enjoyment to it so far, which is starting to enter Final Fantasy territory. Talking of Final Fantasy: I didn't mention it as a favourite RPG because it is in a genre of it's own
Old 12-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
JK Ferret

Human Grunt

JK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond repute

Only 30 hrs on FF? Is that it?

My longest game on X is over 200 hrs long, and I still have quite a bit to do to find EVERYTHING, including the bonus boss after the dark Aeons.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #11
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Ferret View Post
Only 30 hrs on FF? Is that it?

My longest game on X is over 200 hrs long, and I still have quite a bit to do to find EVERYTHING, including the bonus boss after the dark Aeons.
I was merely speculating at the time it is perhaps possible to complete a FF in 30hrs. Ok, well actually playing Mass Effect for 30 hrs feels more like 100

Having said that, I remember the back of the FF7 manual had an advert for the PS1 memory card with the message: "Could you complete this game without one?" to which I simply muttered "No".

I don't know what my record is on FF. I always do everying possible and get to lvl 100 and thus played well over 99.99hrs on FF7, but the timer stops then so I don't know the exact amount! Thinking about it now I, and you too for that matter, must have played over 1000hrs of FF in total, thats scary really, though I know for sure it's time well spent
Old 12-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #12
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thinking about it now I, and you too for that matter, must have played over 1000hrs of FF in total, thats scary really, though I know for sure it's time well spent
+ Another.

Damn games take over my life. FFX still takes away quite alot of my time!
Old 12-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #13
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's a bit slow paced and sometimes repetitive (sounds like Baldurs Gate :P)
Don't go there... It's the only 'fanboy series' I have.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:41 PM   #14
JK Ferret

Human Grunt

1000 hrs on the FF series easy...

On X alone I have almost 500hrs total of game saves.

So take that, plus 8, 9, X-2, 12, and all the ones I have done and deleted...

I must be close to at least 2500+ hrs on FF, if not beyond. But time well well spent, as you said.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Jazzmaverickjim

Houndeye

Jazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished roadJazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished roadJazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished roadJazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished roadJazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished roadJazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished roadJazzmaverickjim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hehe I see, those are games you can lose a lot of time in. I also love RPG's but not those type

Oblivion is my particular favourite and I've recently been enjoying Fable 2 and Mass Effect, if any of those take your fancy at all?
I lost alot of my life to fable 2, and im not usually into RPG's, i bought fallout 3 and just could not get into it, and i did try! but fable was just brilliant fun
Jazzmaverickjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
TimmyShire

Fast Zombie

[QUOTE=POBmaestro;404118] It's a bit slow paced and sometimes repetitive (sounds like Baldurs Gate :P)[QUOTE]

How dare you! Baldur's Gate is God's gift to man! Thank you Snoozer for displaying such loyalty!

Funny that you should make that comparison since young BioWare made Baldur's Gate and went on to make Mass Effect. Which, I do love also. I was adamant because I tend not to like sci-fi too much, but the game is great fun. BioWare being one of my favourite developers its no surprise. I haven't actually finished ME though, so I should probably crack on with that...

As for FF hours, I've probably spent up to a 1000 hours on just FFVII the amount of times I've played and replayed that game. If not, 7-9 I've definitely had a 1,000 on. I'd agree about FF being a whole genre of it's own though!
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #17
TimmyShire

Fast Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmaverickjim View Post
I lost alot of my life to fable 2, and im not usually into RPG's, i bought fallout 3 and just could not get into it, and i did try! but fable was just brilliant fun
Yet to play Fable 2, and I know I'll love it. I have no idea what it is that's stopping me getting it. Everyone says how great it is, but I think I'm put off because even people who don't like RPGs like it (as kindly demonstrated by Jazz) and I think that worries me that it may be a bit too simple.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #18
Dead Alive

Antlion

FF7 on PSN is going to destroy my life. Just like it did when it first came out. Then once I've completed it to death, I'm going to have to replay FF8, 9 and 10 just for the hell of it.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #19
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyShire View Post
Funny that you should make that comparison since young BioWare made Baldur's Gate and went on to make Mass Effect.
Technically they were helped by Black Isle, they're my extinct love affair, not BioWare. BioWare make cracking games, but you don't appreciate developers until they've died 'too young'.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #20
TimmyShire

Fast Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Alive View Post
FF7 on PSN is going to destroy my life. Just like it did when it first came out. Then once I've completed it to death, I'm going to have to replay FF8, 9 and 10 just for the hell of it.
Do you ever think 'I'll play FFVIII' but have to complete FFVII again first? Me and my friend (another FF-fanatic) do this all the time. It's stupid, I know, but for some reason it's like we need the totally separate story retelling to us before we play VIII (and IX, and X and so on...)

Yeah... probably just me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
Technically they were helped by Black Isle, they're my extinct love affair, not BioWare. BioWare make cracking games, but you don't appreciate developers until they've died 'too young'.
Yeah, I know. I'll never forgive Interplay for buying out Black Isle then losing all their money. I mean how inconsiderate can you be?

I still pray there is TeamBG still out there, waiting for the signal so that they can reunite again! It'd be like Power Rangers but far more nerdy.