GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 27-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #1
maxm00se

Snark

maxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura about
diablo 3 and the Auction house

just saw this on reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...auction_house/

anyone care to explain how much money they actualy will make with this?

Last edited by maxm00se; 27-05-2012 at 05:19 PM. Reason: forgot the end bit because im slow
maxm00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Demonjock

Manhack

Demonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enough
Re: diablo 3 and the Auction house

Im going with a crapload. People will pay for shiny shiny
Demonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Blizzard get a cut so they're get more rich obviously.

But people are prone to purchasing in-game items rather than save up with in-game currency or find it themselves. It's why free-to-play games are so successful.

People will pay for that axe.
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say that a 15% cut when you take the money out seemed a bit of a rip off but then it occurred to me that if you're prepared to spend real money on an item that doesn't exist then you're probably the sort of person who deserves to be ripped off.
Old 29-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks View Post
it occurred to me that if you're prepared to spend real money on an item that doesn't exist then you're probably the sort of person who deserves to be ripped off.
And yet you're willing to spend money on entire worlds that do not exist. If it increases their enjoyment of that game, whats so bad about them purchasing things within or for that game? It's sort of the foundation of DLC.
Old 30-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Ewok

Human Grunt

Ewok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to behold
An entire non-existent world is arguably more substantial than a single non-existent item.

Then again, you could argue that both are equally insubstantial.

It's a real philosophical conumdrum.
Old 30-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #7
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
An entire non-existent world is arguably more substantial than a single non-existent item.

Then again, you could argue that both are equally insubstantial.

It's a real philosophical conumdrum.
That's like saying my entire imaginary world is better than your imaginary hippo. They're both irrelevant in terms of worth. They are only worth and have as much value as much as the person using them gives them.

Last edited by Kaostic; 30-05-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 30-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #8
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
They're both irrelevant in terms of worth. They are only worth and have as much value as much as the person using them gives them.
Pretty much this. I see no difference in paying x amount for an individual item than I do paying x amount for a full game. It's not like you're paying £30-£40 on a new weapon (if you do, then I'll call you an idiot).
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Alive View Post
Pretty much this. I see no difference in paying x amount for an individual item than I do paying x amount for a full game. It's not like you're paying £30-£40 on a new weapon (if you do, then I'll call you an idiot).
To be honest, if somebody thinks that by paying £30 - £40 on a weapon will increase the games worth to them, why not? Surely it's the same as paying £9 a month to play a MMO.
Old 30-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

To each his/her own, I wouldn't mind paying 80p or something for a new weapon that ever so slightly overpowers me in an RPG like Diablo, or maybe a couple quid for a set of something (think new armour set or something). Anything over that is a rip-off in my eyes.

I don't think it's a fair comparison to make between a £30-£40 weapon/item and £9 a month MMO, though. An MMO is technically always evolving even if it's in tiny ways you may not notice, whereas that item is never going to change and chances are heavy in an a-RPG, within an hour or two that £30-£40 weapon is going to be useless and then vendored.
Old 30-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #11
Ewok

Human Grunt

Ewok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
That's like saying my entire imaginary world is better than your imaginary hippo.
Yeah? But my imaginary Hippo can fly, so it's totally awesome.

I agree entirely to all points made, even the ones that contradict eachother.

An items worth ('real' or otherwise) is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. The market for these items will manage itself and really it's not that much different from other games that have micro transactions. Blizzard will make money sure, but at least the olayers are getting a cut.
Old 30-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #12
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
Blizzard will make money sure, but at least the olayers are getting a cut.
It's like YouTubers Partner Program. People make content. People upload. People then get views. YouTube gets the gross amount of the money and the people get a cut of the advertising profits.

Overall, Blizzard are getting money for doing nada. Fairs fair though.
Old 30-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #13
Maggy

Bullsquid

Maggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond repute

its interesting how people are presuming decent weapons are gunna cost 40 quid.

Even in diablo in the unofficail stores, you could get "end game" items for a few quid. granted not perfect stat ones. but decent ones non the less.

and with everyone and his mum selling items it will drive prices down further.
"the law of the universe is the whole thing will turn to ****"
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #14
Dead Alive

Antlion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
its interesting how people are presuming decent weapons are gunna cost 40 quid.

Even in diablo in the unofficail stores, you could get "end game" items for a few quid. granted not perfect stat ones. but decent ones non the less.

and with everyone and his mum selling items it will drive prices down further.
No one presumed items were going to cost £40, it was used as an (exaggerated) example.
Old 30-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Alive View Post
No one presumed items were going to cost £40, it was used as an (exaggerated) example.
This.

Although, when people talk about buying items for 80p or a couple of quid, it reminds me of when I use to buy Pokémon cards..
Old 13-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #16
Demonjock

Manhack

Demonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enough

Blizzard have pulled the real money AH from NA but from screen shots from this website (here)it looks like some items are going for a lot more than 30-40 with some reaching 200+ dollars. Why are blizzard pulling this ??? it must be making them a fortune.
Demonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #17
Dead Alive

Antlion

They're also banning thousands of accounts for hackers and cheaters (presumably relating to the AH). They deserve to be kicked off multi-player but now this means they have no access to the game they bought, even single player.

Well played, Blizz. Well played.

EDIT: "We're also hearing through the Diablo grapevine that one million gold is going for roughly $2.50 USD right now."

Looks like that 'always on for protection' thing is working out just great!