GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
maxm00se

Snark

maxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura aboutmaxm00se has a spectacular aura about
A funny insite or a scary eye opener?

I don't know how many of you have seen this site but its a collaboration of lewd and offensive messages sent to girl gamers. The site is called http://fatuglyorslutty.com/about/ . After having a good old laugh at how ridiculous some of these are I reached one of the posters personal story
Quote:
I jumped into my first free for all match on Ascension. I won by a landslide. In the end screen I heard people talking, so I piped in “Good game, guys!” My virgin ears were not ready for the barrage of insult I would receive. “Shut the **** up *****!” “Is that a girl? **** you, girls don’t play video games”. This would only continue. It used to make me so mad, I couldn’t keep the tears from welling up in my eyes.
After that it hit home how bad the problem was, AND that it wasn't a new one. But most of all it showed me that i had never thought to deep in to the problem before until now and that shows that there isn't much being done about the problem at all or at least anything done to make people aware of the problem in the first place. I'm hoping that by showing people this more awareness will be raised and something will finally be done about the harassment in gaming. rant over.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute
Re: A funny insite or a scary eye opener?

There isn't anything you CAN do about the problem. People are idiots. Can't change people, unfortunate though it may be.

To be honest, it's no different than someone getting made fun of if they suck arse at a game online. Only reason anybody takes any notice is because it's a female. They're just as good gamers as us for the most part (as your story above apparently shows), yet they get made fun of and people feel sorry for them. Yet if someone, say a guy who has a really crappy score in an online FPS gets tore into by everyone, it's hilarious.

Like I said, people are idiots. Ignore them, move on, female or not.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Maggy

Bullsquid

Maggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond repute

girls shouldnt administor websites.. thats just awful. blog site?
that site should be index'd better.

also.
they shud suck my dik init

"the law of the universe is the whole thing will turn to ****"
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
Cronos

Antlion

Cronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond repute

Meh, if you play public (especially on consoles) you're an idiot if you don't expect ****ters to spout crap constantly.

"The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept."

I have brave fight to wild bear
I have strong arm lift to wild bear
I am so fast more than train

Last edited by Cronos; 03-06-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Cronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Jessica

Manhack

Jessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud of

This is why I don't like playing online games with people I don't know. I just stay away. Partly because I'm shy, partly because I know I'm terrible at games so I don't really want to hear the onslaught of insults, and partly because I don't want to get harassed because of my gender. That's why I'm glad I do have GameGrin as a community. Without them I'd probably never play an online game, ever. I do empathise with other girl gamers who aren't as lucky as I and don't have an online buddies to play with.
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
djd4ws0n

Bullsquid
Administrator

djd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond repute

Male or female at the other end of that game, the point still remains that Penny Arcade said it best all the way back in 2004:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19
Old 04-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
Ewok

Human Grunt

Ewok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to behold
Firstly, I don't condone anyone sending abusive messages and some if the ones I read on at site are disgusting.

That said, there is an awful lot of examples on that website that start with such examples as "I skooled this guy 13-0 then sent him a message and this is what I got back..." or "this guy was obviously cheating so I called him on it and he said..."

What would you be saying to the guy that you just beat 13-0 other than being a douche? How could you possibly know someone was cheating? It honestly seems that some of these examples the poster may have been the instigator rather than an innocent victim. I notice their half of the conversation is never posted but the other side are named and shamed.

Again, I don't condone anything on there, but without seeing both sides to these exchanges I wouldn't want to make a judgement on innocence or guilt and would take all the examples on there with a pinch of salt.