GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > General Chat

General Chat General Chat Area

Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute
Childhood Cartoon Character (Facebook)

As some of you have noticed there is a theme going across FaceBook
The idea is to change your Avatar/icon/profile picture to your childhood cartoon character.

Any hows, these seems to be an unofficial but its to raise awareness of the NSPCC, which is a great cause.

I have also updated my form avatar (as have others on the forums)

Just wonder who you picked and why.

Mine was Tom, from Tom & & Jerry, the reason
I always felt sorry for him, Jerry did pick on him
Name:  Tom and Jerry.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  8.8 KB
Who did you pick and Why

(can we just leave the pedobear jokes out of this one as its for a good cause)

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Childhood Cartoon Character (Facebook)

Changed it myself on Facebook but wouldn't donating money be better?

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #3
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Changed it myself on Facebook but wouldn't donating money be better?
Totally agree, but this way its making people aware of NSPCC and remind people that they are still there and need public help.
What better way than getting thousands of people to do something which makes other ask "why have you done that" Its got us lot talking about in on here and facebook, so its doing some good for the NSPCC.

But what did you change your picture to and why?

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:46 PM   #4
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Stimpy from Ren and Stimpy, that show was ****** up, and besides I thought this wouldn't be appropriate...

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

Changed on Facebook and here to Jessica Rabbit. Simply because Who Framed Roger Rabbit is ******* awesome, and I used to watch it all the time as a kid, and may still watch it all the time now...

I agree donating money is better and more useful, but as a totally skint person who can't afford to donate any money, I figure it's better raising awareness (if this FB campaign will actually do anything at all for the cause) than doing nothing at all.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #6
TGK

Civil Protection

TGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond repute

I chose Tom as well Rash!

Reason being, just one of those shows in my childhood that really stood out to me!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #7
Re^per
Banned

Re^per is infamous around these parts

Enough said :P
Re^per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:52 PM   #8
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

Mine I have just set to Vinnie from Biker Mice from Mars.

Used to really love that show as a kid, made me want to ride a motorbike when I was older although my mum never wanted me to.
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:49 PM   #9
Flarty

Fast Headcrab

Flarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the rough

cuz super ted is the bomb yo
Flarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

I woulda taken part, but the irony of kids not being allowed on Facebook (13 and up) made it seem almost cold-hearted.
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #11
Re^per
Banned

I haven't taken part, I don't mind people that do but I see no point in it myself.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:56 AM   #12
Flarty

Fast Headcrab

Flarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the rough

the point is to raise awareness an maybe in the process get people to donate, apparently there are some right **** tards trying to make out this was set up by a paedophile ring so kids cnt see there profile pics, evil genius's
Why must some people have to shoot down other people when they try and do something constructive and decent with their time.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:15 AM   #13
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarty View Post
the point is to raise awareness an maybe in the process get people to donate, apparently there are some right **** tards trying to make out this was set up by a paedophile ring so kids cnt see there profile pics, evil genius's
Why must some people have to shoot down other people when they try and do something constructive and decent with their time.
Thing is, they've got a point - it gives that additional anonymity that a predator could well use. It's a pretty sad commentary on the world today that this is considered a possibility, but there we are.

The NSPCC is denying all connection to it as well.

I don't think it's for a cause, and I doubt it's for a pedophile ring - I reckon it was just to have fun, and the NSPCC was tacked on to it to help it go viral.
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 05:28 AM   #14
Flarty

Fast Headcrab

the nspcc has acknowledged and showed appreciation for the campaign. the problem isnt with this campaign. peadophiles changing their profile pics for more anonyminity which they can do at any point, or create countless profiles with the sole purpose of grooming is. why the **** would they create such a campaign to aid something they do anyway. its just thick ******s spouting ****e.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
TGK

Civil Protection

TGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond repute

My take on it is that if you change your picture to a cartoon character, you can't be singled out by predators over anyone else, therefore discouraging them.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #16
Namredips

Vortigaunt

Namredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to beholdNamredips is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarty View Post

cuz super ted is the bomb yo
Hell yeah, they should totally show this again, would make getting a TV lscam card worth it
Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #17
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

WIlly Fog.. Cos he was a Lion in a suit!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Willy_Fog.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	22343  
Old 11-12-2010, 11:20 AM   #18
windy

Manhack

windy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura aboutwindy has a spectacular aura about

I have bravestar as mine! all time best cartoon......

Game0n owns the sig world....
windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #19
Re^per
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGingerKid View Post
My take on it is that if you change your picture to a cartoon character, you can't be singled out by predators over anyone else, therefore discouraging them.
But seeing as you can't create a facebook page till 13, then it serves little point?

I personally find it a waste of time, other than the sheer enjoyment of revisiting cartoon pictures, the people I've talked to are largely unaware of WHY they are doing it, other than the fact others are.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #20
Jessica

Manhack

Jessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud ofJessica has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re^per View Post
But seeing as you can't create a facebook page till 13, then it serves little point?

I personally find it a waste of time, other than the sheer enjoyment of revisiting cartoon pictures, the people I've talked to are largely unaware of WHY they are doing it, other than the fact others are.
Just because they aren't supposed to have a Facebook page 'til they are 13, doesn't stop them. I know a 10 year old who has Facebook and he got it a while back. Not sure how much he uses it, but whether or not he still uses it, he is proof that some young children do get a Facebook page...without their parent's consent or knowledge.

I wasn't allowed Facebook until April this year but before then I had friends saying "Do you want me to make you a Facebook/Bebo page?" And my reply was no because I understood the fact that I wasn't allowed to have it and for a good cause. When I tried to explain that to my friends that would look at me as if I spoke in a totally different language.

And on another note; this is purely for raising awareness of the company. It is basically a callout saying 'You know, we are still here and we could really do with some funding.'
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote