GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 03-07-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
TGK

Civil Protection

TGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond repute
HALP, Computer Fail

OK, just went to plug in my Guitar Hero tuning cable and my computer shuts off. Now, everytime I turn it on and touch the front ports, even with my fingers, it shuts off. I'm clueless.

-TGK
TGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
djdawsonuk

Bullsquid
Administrator

djdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: HALP, Computer Fail

Double check your connectors to the motherboard, sounds like they could be in wrongly/have disconnected, causing some sort of short. You definitely haven't got the USB header attached to the "PwrSw" jumper on the motherboard, yes?

The moisture in your fingers could be enough to close the circuit, you might not notice it with it being such a small amount of power output.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
GuNsLiNgEr

Vortigaunt

GuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of lightGuNsLiNgEr is a glorious beacon of light

Has anyone from GameOn actually had a look at the wiring of your PC TGK? Sounds like it really does need to be looked at.
GuNsLiNgEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
TGK

Civil Protection

TGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond repute

Wiring should be fine but I must have broke the circuit as it is working ace now. Just unplugged a couple from the motherboard, re-inserted and all is well.

I probably have one of the tidiest cable arrangements on GO.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGingerKid View Post
Wiring should be fine but I must have broke the circuit as it is working ace now. Just unplugged a couple from the motherboard, re-inserted and all is well.

you havent seen any of bettys builds then have you
Old 03-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
TGK

Civil Protection

No I has not lol
Old 03-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuNsLiNgEr View Post
Has anyone from GameOn actually had a look at the wiring of your PC TGK? Sounds like it really does need to be looked at.
I did when we lanned and cringed

Quote:

http://forums.gamegrin.com/album.php...pictureid=1527

Check the pics in that album, mine will be tidier, changed things since then and its even tidier now, will post mock pics later

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
iNTOXiCATiON

Vortigaunt

iNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to all

Quote:

Nah my cable management is by far the most tidy"ist"

Glad you sorted it and on another note that GH custom kit looks good !
iNTOXiCATiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #9
TGK

Civil Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNTOXiCATiON View Post
Nah my cable management is by far the most tidy"ist"

Glad you sorted it and on another note that GH custom kit looks good !
It may look good but I'm having some issues atm, won't go into it at the moment though.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
TGK

Civil Protection

For all that don't know:

My PCI-E port has indeed been funked and/or graphics card. Took everything out apart from the bare essentials, put things back in one by one and the problem lies there.

I will either have to replace the graphics card, motherboard or both - that is yet to be resolved.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
runeatic123

Snark

runeatic123 is an unknown quantity at this point

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No Mr Nipples for a while then _

Karlio
runeatic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
Nex

Assassin

Nex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond repute

Id start with borrowing another graphics card if u can or trying urs in another machine.
Nex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #13
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For all that don't know:

My PCI-E port has indeed been funked and/or graphics card. Took everything out apart from the bare essentials, put things back in one by one and the problem lies there.

I will either have to replace the graphics card, motherboard or both - that is yet to be resolved.
What do you mean the bear essentials? What issues where you having?
Old 05-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #14
TGK

Civil Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddAussie View Post
What do you mean the bear essentials? What issues where you having?
I look back on it now and it seems obvious that it was a graphics issue as there was nothing on screen but everything was still on.

I stripped it down to 1 HDD, 1 Stick of RAM, CPU, and just had the power switch plugged into the motherboard.

Added each component back in and it was the graphics card that was causing the problem even when I had the DVI cable plugged into the on-board graphics.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:08 PM   #15
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

No picture doenst mean the GPU is ******, got another one to try in there?

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 05-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #16
TGK

Civil Protection

Nope not at all. No picture is shown even when I plug the card in and have the DVI cable onto the on-board card.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #17
Nex

Assassin

Nex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nope not at all. No picture is shown even when I plug the card in and have the DVI cable onto the on-board card.
What make and model is your motherboard?
Nex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
TGK

Civil Protection

Gigabyte motherboard GA-MA78G-DS3H AM2 Phenom AMD 780G Integrated ATI graphics DDR2

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/37263
Old 05-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #19
Platinum
raggggggggge

Ahh k, so works fine on integrated graphics?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #20
TGK

Civil Protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Ahh k, so works fine on integrated graphics?
Indeed