GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > Gaming Forums - Chat about Video Games > Misc Games Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator
 
Ex0dUs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 3,591
Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of
Silent Hill: Downpour - Named and Detailed

Silent Hill: Downpour - Named and Detailed

Visit here to read more


Silent Hill: Downpour will be the title of the eighth installment in Konami's horror series - and promises to take the franchise is something of a new direction.

Downpour will take place in a South-Eastern area of Silent Hill seen on maps in previous games but never accessible.*

......Read More
Ex0dUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Angelfromabove

Antlion
 
Angelfromabove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 5,461
Blog Entries: 4
Angelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud of
Re: SIlent Hill: Downpour - Named and Detailed

Oh didnt realise there was more info for this now!
Cant say im too happy with the God of war/resi type quick time buttoned boss sequences :S Think having to push sequenced buttons really ruins any atmosphere as it reminds you that you are in fact playing a game. Silent Hills atmosphere is one that you need to be dragged into, immersed in to fully enjoy the game. Silent hill 2 and 3 were perfect examples of this, whilst not havign the best combat systems around you didnt need them it added to the feeling of the game, survival amongst the madness. I fear PRESS X NOW, PRESS Y NOW will somewhat ruin that. It was the biggest thing I hated about Saw.

I hope they change their mind on this

Thats if im reading reaction style boss fights right anywho lol
__________________
Angelfromabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator
 
Ex0dUs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 3,591
Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of
Re: SIlent Hill: Downpour - Named and Detailed

Thats the same way I took it as to, and agree that I dont think it will fit. I referenced God of War and Resident Evil myself as I presume its the same style, cant think of any other way it would be done, hoping to god that its not what they mean lol
Ex0dUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Angelfromabove

Antlion
 
Angelfromabove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 5,461
Blog Entries: 4
Angelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud of
Re: SIlent Hill: Downpour - Named and Detailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex0dUs View Post
Thats the same way I took it as to, and agree that I dont think it will fit. I referenced God of War and Resident Evil myself as I presume its the same style, cant think of any other way it would be done, hoping to god that its not what they mean lol
It just fills me with dread after playing Saw 2, which was a **** game but the combat made it even worse. It just removes any real kind of atmospehere, picture Silent Hill 2, Walking down the empty corridors of the appartment building, noises rattle ominously around you, the building is decrepid and unwelcoming then along comes your first sighting of pyramid head, whichg is meant top be a subtle yet **** your pants introduction... with a giant flashing PRESS X NOW button....ruins it entirely imo.

Silent Hill fangirl here btw lol
__________________
Angelfromabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #5
Ice Maiden

Zombie
 
Ice Maiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Horwich
Posts: 239
Ice Maiden has a spectacular aura aboutIce Maiden has a spectacular aura aboutIce Maiden has a spectacular aura aboutIce Maiden has a spectacular aura aboutIce Maiden has a spectacular aura aboutIce Maiden has a spectacular aura aboutIce Maiden has a spectacular aura aboutIce Maiden has a spectacular aura aboutIce Maiden has a spectacular aura aboutIce Maiden has a spectacular aura aboutIce Maiden has a spectacular aura about
Re: Silent Hill: Downpour - Named and Detailed

I agree with Sarah
Ice Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
evilgiraffeman

Manhack
 
evilgiraffeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North East
Posts: 1,155
evilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really nice
Re: Silent Hill: Downpour - Named and Detailed

As a terrifyingly obsessive Silent Hill fan, I've got extremely mixed feelings about this game. I still maintain that the series just hasn't been right since Silent Hill 3 (although Silent Hill 4: The Room at least tried something different, which I respect it for). The decline brought on with Origins was disappointing and Homecoming was hugely frustrating as a fan of the series. While I gave it a fairly decvent review, on its own merits as a decent-enough horror game, it was a bad Silent Hill game.

I hated how the complex mythos created around the town itself had been dumbed down to movie-esque environments which ignored the detailed backstory that wove between the first three installments nicely. There was too much combat, dull enemies and a complete lack of an emotional and seething plot that was disturbing. It was just far too Americanised and toned-down from the true psychological horror of the first ones.

This looks a bit more promising, but there is a lot I am not liking the sound of. Degradable weapons? Because that worked really well in Silent Hill 4 (with the golf clubs) and Origins (where it was downright irritating at times). And quick-time events? Really? Does anyone actually think they enhance a game? Even worse if the boss fights are reduced down to them. For me some of the scariest bosses I ever fought were in Silent Hill games, like the hanged men in the possessed hospital in SH2 and the unforgettable Leonard in SH3's hospital. Now that was scary.

Why can't the developers maybe avoid going to the classic Silent Hill locations (ie hospital) and avoid traditinal enemies (I am fed up of zombie dogs, no matter what textures you change them to have). I genuinely want this game to do well and return to real scary horror. But currently, the way I see it, horror games are divided into shocker titles like Dead Space (which are good in their own right) and psychological (Amnesia). It would be great if somehow the developers could avoid all the negative expectations from the fans of the series and prove us all wrong by delivering on a true, back-to-the-roots story. Fingers crossed they'll have something to show soon at E3 or another convention.

I'm going to try and put my feelings aside, and remain cautiously hopeful that this can deliver. I do like that from the trailer that the rain seems to have maybe replaced the fog to some extent and the title is certainly intriguing. I also like the new music used, which I was expecting to be a bit average since Akira left, but it really sounds great and keeps in the feeling of the series. There's some promise here at least and it's nice to give a relatively unknown developer a chance as they might take some risks which could pay off. What do you guys think?
evilgiraffeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Angelfromabove

Antlion
 
Angelfromabove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 5,461
Blog Entries: 4
Angelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud ofAngelfromabove has much to be proud of
Re: Silent Hill: Downpour - Named and Detailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgiraffeman View Post
As a terrifyingly obsessive Silent Hill fan, I've got extremely mixed feelings about this game. I still maintain that the series just hasn't been right since Silent Hill 3 (although Silent Hill 4: The Room at least tried something different, which I respect it for). The decline brought on with Origins was disappointing and Homecoming was hugely frustrating as a fan of the series. While I gave it a fairly decvent review, on its own merits as a decent-enough horror game, it was a bad Silent Hill game.

I hated how the complex mythos created around the town itself had been dumbed down to movie-esque environments which ignored the detailed backstory that wove between the first three installments nicely. There was too much combat, dull enemies and a complete lack of an emotional and seething plot that was disturbing. It was just far too Americanised and toned-down from the true psychological horror of the first ones.

This looks a bit more promising, but there is a lot I am not liking the sound of. Degradable weapons? Because that worked really well in Silent Hill 4 (with the golf clubs) and Origins (where it was downright irritating at times). And quick-time events? Really? Does anyone actually think they enhance a game? Even worse if the boss fights are reduced down to them. For me some of the scariest bosses I ever fought were in Silent Hill games, like the hanged men in the possessed hospital in SH2 and the unforgettable Leonard in SH3's hospital. Now that was scary.

Why can't the developers maybe avoid going to the classic Silent Hill locations (ie hospital) and avoid traditinal enemies (I am fed up of zombie dogs, no matter what textures you change them to have). I genuinely want this game to do well and return to real scary horror. But currently, the way I see it, horror games are divided into shocker titles like Dead Space (which are good in their own right) and psychological (Amnesia). It would be great if somehow the developers could avoid all the negative expectations from the fans of the series and prove us all wrong by delivering on a true, back-to-the-roots story. Fingers crossed they'll have something to show soon at E3 or another convention.

I'm going to try and put my feelings aside, and remain cautiously hopeful that this can deliver. I do like that from the trailer that the rain seems to have maybe replaced the fog to some extent and the title is certainly intriguing. I also like the new music used, which I was expecting to be a bit average since Akira left, but it really sounds great and keeps in the feeling of the series. There's some promise here at least and it's nice to give a relatively unknown developer a chance as they might take some risks which could pay off. What do you guys think?
As always, youve managed to take what im trying to say and nailed it!
I comepletely agree with every point here. Since 4 things just havnt been right, Silent Hill has lost its individual feel and has become more of an Americanised, western horror with each installment since 4. Relying more on combat and jumpy BOOOO scare's is where the series seems to be headed and if I wanted that I would go and play the other hundred games like that.

Siloent Hill was always different, It was petrifying whilst being incredibly subtle in places. Sometimes the scariest moments are the ones where nothing is actually happening, but the atmosphere that is slowly built up is enough to terrify you.

1 2 3 and even 4 all made you think, you came away from them looking and searching for answers beyond the surface of what the game gave you, its story was deep and thought provoking. Countless times I have scoured the net just to see how others have interpreted the themes and storys dealt with.

I believe Silent Hill needs to try and go back to its roots a little and go back to making a fantastic story with combat that is just enough not the western approach of guns, kung fu and explosions.

But still, Id be interested to see how this turns out, the musical score is sounding good so far at least, something of which Ive been hugely sceptical of as I love Akira's work.

I really hope they reconsider the QTE bosses though, its just gonna ruin it.
__________________
Angelfromabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 PM   #8
evilgiraffeman

Manhack
 
evilgiraffeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: North East
Posts: 1,155
evilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really niceevilgiraffeman is just really nice
Re: Silent Hill: Downpour - Named and Detailed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfromabove View Post
As always, youve managed to take what im trying to say and nailed it!
I comepletely agree with every point here. Since 4 things just havnt been right, Silent Hill has lost its individual feel and has become more of an Americanised, western horror with each installment since 4. Relying more on combat and jumpy BOOOO scare's is where the series seems to be headed and if I wanted that I would go and play the other hundred games like that.

Siloent Hill was always different, It was petrifying whilst being incredibly subtle in places. Sometimes the scariest moments are the ones where nothing is actually happening, but the atmosphere that is slowly built up is enough to terrify you.

1 2 3 and even 4 all made you think, you came away from them looking and searching for answers beyond the surface of what the game gave you, its story was deep and thought provoking. Countless times I have scoured the net just to see how others have interpreted the themes and storys dealt with.

I believe Silent Hill needs to try and go back to its roots a little and go back to making a fantastic story with combat that is just enough not the western approach of guns, kung fu and explosions.

But still, Id be interested to see how this turns out, the musical score is sounding good so far at least, something of which Ive been hugely sceptical of as I love Akira's work.

I really hope they reconsider the QTE bosses though, its just gonna ruin it.
I understand exactly what you're saying here, but the more I read about the new title the more I'm a bit unsure. I know that the combat was pretty awful in the first few games in the series, especially the melee weapon stuff but I find myself actually quite liking that. This sounds bizarre and pretty much goes against everything that gameplay should be, but having very clunky and, at times, cumbersome combat made the game unbelievably scary for me. It made you genuinely want to avoid combat as you weren't guaranteed to come out of it alive, especially against multiple enemies.

Now, ideally, you should have an adequate combat system, but since they were installed, I felt the games got less scary. I liked the fact that Harry Mason was just a normal guy in the first game. His aim with guns was intentionally average and I like to think the combat weapons were too. If I were somehow unlucky enough to end up in a foggy town populated by horrific flesh-bag monsters from my worst nightmares, no matter what training I had, I think I'd be bricking it. As a result my weapons proficiency and combat might suffer and dropping some monstrous meat-faced multi-limbed nightmare with a few bullets would probably be pretty tricky when you're requiring a new pair of underpants.

Anyhow, what I'm saying is, the developers really need to hit that fine line between making combat do-able, but trying to discourage it so the enemies are scarier. I think I saw it mentioned somewhere that enemies can't be defeated (like SH:SM), which would be interesting. Although I don't like the sound of invincible foes much, as I liked the reward of coming out of an encounter with several creatures with only a sliver of health and blood-stained sledgehammer. I wish they'd bring the emergency hammer back, that was one of the best survival horror weapons ever.

As I say, hope to get a look at this in detail in the future, even though I'm hesitant my massive soft-spot for Silent Hill will definately keep me interested in this.
evilgiraffeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
detailed, downpour, hill, named, silent

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:29 AM.


More on gaming

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2016 GameOn Networking Ltd, T/A GameGrin