GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Mobile/Cell Phones, PDA's, and Tablets

Mobile/Cell Phones, PDA's, and Tablets General chat about your latest phones, pads and other pocket buddies!

Old 25-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

Emseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to all
Help please!

Hi techies I need some advice please.

It's my mother-in-laws birthday and she has asked us to buy her a tablet. Whilst her request was for a Nexus 7 I am not made of money and am looking to get her a tablet for under 100.

It has to be skype compatible preferably with a front facing camera so she can chat with her grandson. An android os would be best as she is not the best with technology and her phone is droid so it would just be easier. Any recommendations would be amazing ta!

looking at
this this
at the mo.
Emseypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help please!

I am just look at some other models for you at the moment,
I need to dig out one my tablets (might have to be when the kids are home from school) to check on something for you.
give me a couple of hours and I will post some more links for you

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

Emseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to all

Why thank you
Old 25-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

Just hold off buying one for now, there is some Rubbish ones out there for under 100
I am just going to also triple check some 3rd party review of that tablet for you first.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 25-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
djd4ws0n

Bullsquid
Administrator

djd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond repute

If you've been looking at the 32Gb Nexus 7 at 200 quid - you can still get a hold of the 16GB Nexus 7 for 159 quid, directly from Google:

https://play.google.com/store/device...icrosite&hl=en

I'd massively reccomend getting one of these over the sub-100 pound ones if you can stretch the budget.

I know this wasn't really the advice you're looking for, but I thought I'd put the oar in the water, so to speak!
Old 25-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

Lol thanks DJ, if it was for myself I would spend the extra, but I refuse to cash out an extra 60 quid just so she can skype us. If I had my way we'd be buying her a webcam for her perfectly functioning laptop we got her last year...
Old 25-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #7
djd4ws0n

Bullsquid
Administrator

djd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond reputedjd4ws0n has a reputation beyond repute

Haha! Fair enough.

Is there not already a webcam on that laptop? :P Usually pretty standard to get one in the outer frame of the monitor.
Old 25-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

No it's a fairly old laptop we got second hand (ie not even DDR2 lol) but she just wanted something to go on the internet with. Yeah I know cheapskate right? Just can't afford these things, unless it's for meeeeeeeeeee!
Old 25-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

(Just jump to the last paragraph if you get board reading this)

Dawson is 100% correct, the Nexus 7 is a lot of tablet for the money, but I totally understand that you dont want to go over budget.

You have to be a bit careful with some of the cheaper tablets, I mean, you can get them for as low as 45, but there not great, there good, but not great.

Not found any problems with the tablet you have posted about apart from small complaints here and there about the screen not always being responsive.

There is two types of touch screens, capacitive & resistive, Its the capacitive you want (that's what your Amazon one has)

If it runs on Android you will be able to get Skype and all the other major apps you want (would recommend going for Android 4, which again yours has)

There is only a camera on the front of this one, its low quality, but tbh most of them are unless you are paying big money.
Its not often you find a camera on both sides for the lower priced ones, but to be honest again, I dont think you need it, front facing camera works fine, if you want the person to see something your looking at you just turn around the tablet, simple.
As 95% of the time you will be using the camera for Skype etc, its close up, so being a 0.3MP camera will be ok (bit pixelated at times, but very usable)

Battery life on this one is a 4100mah
That should give a minimum of 4 hours usage and up to 7 hours

A lot of this will depend on how much battery life the app you are using takes, things like Skype for 4 hours will kill a battery.
But the 4100mah is a good size capacity.

Looking around, there isn't much better for the same money or less, this one has come out pretty good on reviews.

I can find a 10" one (same size as iPad) for 99 but personally i think the 7" is better for carrying around and using as a Skype hand held.

8 gig is fine for the drive size, as you can add a memory card to it.
The only thing I would recommend, is when you buy a micro card for it, buy a "class 10" (its the speed of the memory card)
Lower cards are ok, but can cause a lot of slow down for some bigger apps if they are running off the memory card.
tbh, there pretty cheap these days as well, when you or you mother (in-law) want to buy one, just give me a poke and I will find cheapest deal for you.

The 1 gig of ram is very nice, I have used a lot of tablets with 512 and they run fine, but the older 256 ram ones really did have some issues.

So in short, Yes, that's a good Tablet for the money and will do what you want for your mother-in-law
(If there anything you didn't understand or didn't explain properly, just ask) (if anyone disagrees with what I said, fire away, I dont mind, this is all based on the research I have done on it)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 25-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

Wow thanks that's awesome!! I will be purchasing this aforementioned tablet! Thanks for putting in so much effort to check it out for me