GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Software Discussion

Software Discussion Discuss Software and ask for unsupported help

Old 22-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
fazer

Manhack

fazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud of
Remote Access

Finally got my lappy for work, but I was wondering about remote access to my pc at home.
The pc runs vista home 64bit and the lappy has win7.
Would you attempt to use the built in remote access microsoft provide, which btw seems ****e cause I tried quickly at home to connect my other pc and it failed despite putting in pc name and ip, or is there a third party programme that might suit my needs better.
Ta.
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Remote Access

If you want to use the built-in one then you have too shut down the firewalls or allow the ports through.
I would suggest using LogMeIn (www.logmein.com). I use this on my Mac as well as my PC's. It's free and easy to use and the difference between this and the built-in one is that the built-in one makes you log off the computer whilst it is in remote access. LogMeIn lets two people control it at once & the person that is being controlled (if on a PC) can decide to cut the person who is controlling's controls so they can just view and not control the mouse or keyboard ..

Hope this helps.
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 11:15 AM   #3
Si^

Vortigaunt

Si^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond reputeSi^ has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

That is all... This bit of software rasher got me to install when i was having issues remoting from home to work. Goes through everything and simple to setup.
Si^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #4
fazer

Manhack

fazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud of

Thanks for replies, will give them both a try and see which I like best.
Old 22-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
iNTOXiCATiON

Vortigaunt

iNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to alliNTOXiCATiON is a name known to all

Cheers this, has been a help too.
iNTOXiCATiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
marky_mark

Poisonous Zombie

marky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the rough

i use inbuilt on windows and all you need to do is simply tick the box in the firewall to let it through and enable it (right click mycomp then properties, remote connection tick box. no drama it just works.
marky_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #7
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of

TeamViewer is the dogs danglies

With the Win7 restrictions between different versions the inbuilt is now useless
Ex0dUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #8
marky_mark

Poisonous Zombie

marky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the roughmarky_mark is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex0dUs View Post
TeamViewer is the dogs danglies

With the Win7 restrictions between different versions the inbuilt is now useless
Slaps exo with a wet kipper

i use win7 to control an XP machine without any problems
Old 22-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Ex0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud ofEx0dUs has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Slaps exo with a wet kipper

i use win7 to control an XP machine without any problems
XP sure, but try controlling any of the lighter editions of Win 7 and then cringe when you goto the MS webby to find out why you cant :P

"You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium."
Old 22-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #10
marky_mark

Poisonous Zombie

he he im still gonna slap u with that kipper

if thats the case when controlling Win7 then yes a 3rd party bit of software is needed
but fazer should be able to control his vista box or do you know of any issues mate ??
Old 22-04-2010, 12:31 PM   #11
Ex0dUs

Vortigaunt
Administrator

Vista should be fine lol

TeamViewer just turns me on with its awesomeness
Old 06-05-2010, 04:53 AM   #12
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

TeamViewer has been great for me
one of the big things i do use a lot is being able to pick which monitor you see (or both)

had loads of issues before with built in windows remote and dual monitors
other thing thats good about TeamViewer is you can just get someone to boot up the PC at home (or even if its just rebooted) and TeamViewer will find the PC for you (you have to register with an MSN type program but its nice and lite to run)

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #13
Blak

Human Grunt

Blak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer View Post
Finally got my lappy for work, but I was wondering about remote access to my pc at home.
The pc runs vista home 64bit and the lappy has win7.
Would you attempt to use the built in remote access microsoft provide, which btw seems ****e cause I tried quickly at home to connect my other pc and it failed despite putting in pc name and ip, or is there a third party programme that might suit my needs better.
Ta.
There's your problem.

The remote desktop server is only included in Pro / Ultimate. The Home versions just have the client.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #14
fazer

Manhack

Logmein works fine, yet to try teamviewer, but will give it a go when I get time.
I know with logmein my system just need to be booted up, and I can remotely enter my password to windows which is a cool feature.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:56 AM   #15
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak View Post
There's your problem.

The remote desktop server is only included in Pro / Ultimate. The Home versions just have the client.
Are you sure? If you can show me where to find it I'll be grateful. I didn't think you could use home edition as a client either. I'll be pleased to be proved wrong.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
Blak

Human Grunt

Blak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks View Post
Are you sure? If you can show me where to find it I'll be grateful. I didn't think you could use home edition as a client either. I'll be pleased to be proved wrong.
In Win 7 Home, "Remote Desktop Connection" is the first in the list when I do a start menu search for "remote". CBA to grab my laptop and check in Vista Home but I'd imagine it's the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex0dUs View Post
XP sure, but try controlling any of the lighter editions of Win 7 and then cringe when you goto the MS webby to find out why you cant :P

"You can't use Remote Desktop Connection to connect to computers running Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic, or Windows 7 Home Premium."
It's always been like this.

XP Home, Vista Home Basic / Premium and Win 7 Home have never had the server, only XP Pro, Vista Business / Enterprise / Ultimate and Win 7 Professional / Enterprise / Ultimate have the server.

Last edited by Blak; 09-05-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Blak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:39 PM   #17
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

For Windows Remote Access, you have allow certain ports etc. on both computers and it just gets confusing (depending on who you are trying to explain it too). As you're doing it on two of your computers, it may not be a problem but I would just suggest using LogMeIn. Works straight off the mark with no problems for me that I have found.
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak View Post
In Win 7 Home, "Remote Desktop Connection" is the first in the list when I do a start menu search for "remote". CBA to grab my laptop and check in Vista Home but I'd imagine it's the same.
D'oh! Why didn't I think of that. Thanks.