GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Console Chat > Playstation

Playstation Covers discussions on anything Playstation related.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
dayspring

Poisonous Zombie

dayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nice
My weekend with the PS3...

So I dumped (sold) my 360 on Friday to a good mate of mine, got 220 for the premium pack and my copy of GoW as well as a few other odds and sods that Id accumulated over the last 9 months or so. I also traded in Lost Planet and Ridge Racer against the PS3 and had a pad thrown in free as well. So for a total of ~470 (less 220 taking into account what i got for my 360 in cash) I got a PS3, two wireless pads, Virtua Fighter 5 and Motorstorm.

Before I go any further; the 360 is a damn fine machine and imo, on a point per point basis is a "better" system then the PS3 although that is a very sweeping statement. Anyway...

My first thought as I got it out of the box was "Jeez, this mother is pretty damn big!" but considering the power supply is built in it prolly does work out at roughly the same size as the 360. Looks are very subjective, but imo black is > then beige by a long old way. Iv always preferred the dual shock style controller over pretty much any other pad and bar a minor complaint about the new L&R triggers when pressed for long periods of time, the SIXAXIS is no different; still the best d-pad in the business, responsive sticks, simple and effective button layout, for me its a pleasure to use. The menu system (Cross Media Bar or summat) is lifted straight off the PSP, and I was immediately at home since I also have a PSP. It is also very quiet in comparison to the 360, I could sleep with it turned on whereas there was no chance of sleep with the 360 in the same room (unless I was very drunk ofc).

So powered it all on, did the latest system update and was ready to roll. The pads are very light and have a built in power cell straight out of the box compared to the 360's battery pack (which I swapped out for the play and charge kit anyway). The online store, while clearly immature and buggy at times, is pretty easy to use and for such a new system shows a lot of potential. Its obviously nowhere near as fleshed out as Xbox Live, but thats to be expected since this is the first time Sony have looked seriously at offering online content. I must say I do prefer the Cross Media Bar menu system to the 360/Live interface but both work very well.

Before I tell you how amazing Motorstorm is let me mention the loading times; unacceptable in this day as far as Im concerned. It takes the piss at every chance; choosing a vehicle, loading a track, initially starting up the game, loading times are long. However the wait is *well* worth it. Now this may sound totally ridiculous, but Motorstorm is the most fun I have had in ages either on a console or a PC. Even more fun then the Wii during its novelty period, even better then Gears of War and it even kept me off both C&C3 and STALKER for most of my weekend. The racing and sensation of speed and movement is nothing short of extraordinary, and even Sue, my housemate, was able to pick it up and jump straight in on the action and compete. Some of the course layouts are the work of God and Satan themselves at varying points; you get it right and it feels and looks oh so sweet, you get it wrong and boy does it go wrong. The game is amazing so far, either on or off line, I am *seriously* enjoying playing it. Oh as a side note, the SIXAXIS tilt control while useable, didnt do it for me on Motorstorm whatsoever, it felt tacked on and gimmicky, I wont be using it personally. The online play was great once you actually got started but wait times were a bit of a pain, either waiting for a good number of people or waiting for a race to finish so you could play. Once you were actually in and racing it was virtually lag free and a lot of fun. Graphically some sections are at least on par with Gears of War, although its tough to be objective at those kind of speeds (the impression of speed is awesome) and sound wise the music is perfect (ranging from Nirvana to Pendulum) and sound effects are also very good.

Anyway, thats my initial reaction to Motorstorm, best driving game out there atm imo.

Virtua Fighter 5 I didnt really get a chance to play with beyond a couple of hours just to have a look. Im a bit of a noob when it comes to the Virtua Fighter series so Im not qualified to comment really. Certainly more accessible then Tekken for the beginner though, I didnt do too badly.

Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection; great game, still.

Last night I decided I wanted to link my PSP to my PS3 via Remote Play. After updating to firmware 3.10 on the PSP it was connected and worked very well. Able to watch/stream any PS3 compatible movies (not sure about Blu-Ray yet) and play music on my PSP anywhere in the house as well as surfing the web via the PS3 browser. While its a tad limited, the cool factor is off the charts imo.

So, despite Sony's best attempts to totally **** up the release of the PS3, what we actually have is a very capable system and the potential to be *very* good. The Sony online experience will mature with age and its pretty good for their first attempt and the machine itself is capable of producing some of the best graphics we have seen this generation. It is expensive, but when you actually break down the costs its actually not that bad if you plan on getting an HD media player at some point anyway.

Xbox 360 Premium: 270
HD-DVD drive add on: 120
1x extra wireless pad: 35
1x play and charge kit: 15
1x pad power pack: 10

Total: 450

PS3: 425
1x extra wireless pad: 35
1x HDMI/Component: 15

Total: 475

25 more for the equivalent package. Not too bad considering the 360 is well over a year old now. I do like it, a lot, as with anything new different is good. I will still be getting a 360 Elite for sure and if the Mario games look promising, a Wii too. Imo there is room for all 3 systems in the marketplace today. Lets hope it stays that way for the sake of competition.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:35 PM   #2
L33

Manhack

L33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to all
What with me not being a brand-whore/fanboy, I picked up a PS3 too and I'm really enjoying it.
I'm going to have to say though, that in my opinion, the 360 is the better console. I'm not saying the PS3 does not have its advantages, but the 360's advantages outweigh them for me.
I dont regret the purchase at all, but I would be rather gutted if I could only have one console and picked the PS3.

I also added you on the Network/friends thing too

EDIT: I'm going to be the first person to strip the innards of a PS3 controller and fit them inside a 360 controller, the 'Sixaxis' controllers are shockingly low quality, the plastic feels like a 2 toy from the local market, which is really surprising as the PS3 itself is really nicely made. They weigh absolutely nothing due to lack of rumble motors, which adds to the cheap feeling. The R2/L2 triggers on my pad had untrimmed sharp plastic at the seems, evidence of a really low quality manufacturing/QA process

Last edited by L33; 02-04-2007 at 02:41 PM.
L33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
dayspring

Poisonous Zombie

dayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nicedayspring is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by L33 View Post
I'm going to have to say though, that in my opinion, the 360 is the better console by quite a long way. I'm not saying the PS3 does not have its advantages, but the 360's advantages outweigh them for me.
Please elaborate my man. Beyond the bigger library of games (to be expected) and the more mature online experience (again, to be expected) what does put the 360 ahead by such a long way in your view?
Old 02-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
L33

Manhack

L33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to allL33 is a name known to all
Maybe 'by quite a long way' was a bit harsh, should have left that bit out...

Main things that spring to mind though:

1. PS3 menu system (XMB?). I far prefer the 360's system. Personal preference thing, I'd imagine you feel different as you're a PSP user like you said

2. Online services. The PS store is OK I guess, its basically just a website but it 'does the job'. Its the whole integration thing that I miss.... being able to pull up your friends list in the middle of a game, whack them over an invite even though they're playing something else or the sheer amount of detail you can see by looking at peoples profiles all from the blade menu system. Everything is laid out really well and easily accessible on the 360 imo. The whole online experience is just that much more slick. I do like the PS3s web browser though, thumbs up for that.
There doesnt seem to be any site where PS3 online stuff can be viewed (like xbox.com where you can view your profile, your friends, their games, send messages etc etc)

3. Media playback: Playing your own playlist of MP3s in-game, in any game. I really like motorstorm but hate the music, would like to choose my own. Playing videos by streaming from your PC on the 360 is ace, I know the PS3 can play from USB/memory stick/SD etc, but for me its just not as convenient.

4. The control pads. I really really hate the sixaxis controller. Its awful. I'd have prefered standard PS2 pads This completely ruins the experience for me, as it just feels arkward. Its about time they changed design, even the existing design is a PS1 controller with botched-on analogue sticks. Prefer the 360 pad a million times over. Ah the battery life is fairly pants aswell when compared to a 360 pad with rumble?!

5. The graphics are not as good. This tech is ~18 months after the 360, more expensive therefore IMO it should look better. Its pretty noticeable to me? Texture quality and shadows in motorstorm stand out as being really bad, RFoM looks pretty pants. GT:HD is quite impressive I must admit.

6. (again, for my preferences) No 'must have' titles out/coming out any time soon. Motorstorm is pretty decent but its not groundbreaking really.

7. Loading times are a real PITA. Dude have you noticed how long it takes to load a model or a simple colour scheme when choosing cars/bikes in motorstorm? I did read months ago about the slow drive speed but this is bloody annoying

It does have its advantages though, definately, and I am enjoying the system in its own right.
(The main advantage being the nearly silent operation! lol)

Last edited by L33; 02-04-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
dayspring

Poisonous Zombie

Quote:
Maybe 'by quite a long way' was a bit harsh, should have left that bit out...

Main things that spring to mind though:

1. PS3 menu system (XMB?). I far prefer the 360's system. Personal preference thing, I'd imagine you feel different as you're a PSP user like you said
Personal preference as you say, both work very well so no complaints from me.

Quote:
2. Online services. The PS store is OK I guess, its basically just a website but it 'does the job'. Its the whole integration thing that I miss.... being able to pull up your friends list in the middle of a game, whack them over an invite even though they're playing something else or the sheer amount of detail you can see by looking at peoples profiles all from the blade menu system. Everything is laid out really well and easily accessible on the 360 imo. The whole online experience is just that much more slick. I do like the PS3s web browser though, thumbs up for that.
There doesnt seem to be any site where PS3 online stuff can be viewed (like xbox.com where you can view your profile, your friends, their games, send messages etc etc)
For sure, 100% agree, much more flexible and easy to use. I do have to say its an ambitious start for Sony and it should only get better with time, plus its free.

Quote:
3. Media playback: Playing your own playlist of MP3s in-game, in any game. I really like motorstorm but hate the music, would like to choose my own. Playing videos by streaming from your PC on the 360 is ace, I know the PS3 can play from USB/memory stick/SD etc, but for me its just not as convenient.
The MP3's in game is defo a valid point, but streaming media from my PC on my 360, I have like 6 videos in WMV so I really didnt use that part of it. As a media box the original (chipped) Xbox and XBMC is *still* untouchable for me.

Quote:
4. The control pads. I really really hate the sixaxis controller. Its awful. I'd have prefered standard PS2 pads This completely ruins the experience for me, as it just feels arkward. Its about time they changed design, even the existing design is a PS1 controller with botched-on analogue sticks. Prefer the 360 pad a million times over. Ah the battery life is fairly pants aswell when compared to a 360 pad with rumble?!
Personal preference again I guess. I actually like the lightweight feel to them and I really dont miss the rumble (which I thought i would playing GT HD).

Quote:
5. The graphics are not as good. This tech is ~18 months after the 360, more expensive therefore IMO it should look better. Its pretty noticeable to me? Texture quality and shadows in motorstorm stand out as being really bad, RFoM looks pretty pants. GT:HD is quite impressive I must admit.
Motorstorm stands out to me as being exceptionally good looking considering the speed its running at. :| Personal choice I guess, between the PS3 and 360 versions of a few games Iv compared I cant say Id call one or other outright better then the either one. The graphics hardware in the 360 is almost a generation ahead of the PS3 so I always expected 360 games to look better and was slightly surprised when I didnt see the difference. Different strokes.

Quote:
6. (again, for my preferences) No 'must have' titles out/coming out any time soon. Motorstorm is pretty decent but its not groundbreaking really.
As you say personal choice, Halo 3 will bring me back at some point no doubt, thats as must have as it gets for me pretty much. Motorstorm, even after playing the demo extensively, *still* impresses me. ATV on Rock Hopper; try it, love it.

Quote:
7. Loading times are a real PITA. Dude have you noticed how long it takes to load a model or a simple colour scheme when choosing cars/bikes in motorstorm? I did read months ago about the slow drive speed but this is bloody annoying
I must admit I expected the HDD to be made better use of in these situations (much like Halo on the original Xbox). Its a real shame and a PITA, no argument here.

Good to see your points of view, always good to get another perspective on these things.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
L33

Manhack

Main thing is that I'm still really enjoying it Hopefully some more firmware updates etc may be able to cure some the above. I'm definately keeping an eye out for a 3rd party control pad though as I have real issues with the sixaxis
No matter how good one console/system is I always like a bit of change and I think anyone buying a new console is onto a winner with a PS3 or a 360 tbh, they're both very good.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #7
Colio

Garg

Colio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond reputeColio has a reputation beyond repute
nice constructive comments there guys.

It seems that the camps are still pretty much even. Couple of narks on either side here or there.

I think its fair to say, if you can afford only one, either of the devices will suit perfectly.

I guess in the end the differences are minimal and endless, the only question to pass your lips would be "Microsoft or Sony"

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Colio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
dayspring

Poisonous Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colio View Post
I guess in the end the differences are minimal and endless, the only question to pass your lips would be "Microsoft or Sony"
Dog **** or Cat ****; you decide! Thats no choice at all.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
L33

Manhack

Has anyone tried F1 on the PS3 yet? Gotta love the rain effects!
Quick snap I took while sitting on the grid, please excuse the flash reflection on the screen....

Old 02-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #10
Losty

Human Grunt

Losty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the rough
The main thing that has ever set consoles apart has been console exclusive games imo. I'm pretty bummed because without a PS3 I won't get to play Final Fantasy and GT but Fable, Forza and Halo should ease my suffering.
Losty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #11
Nex

Assassin

Nex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Has anyone tried F1 on the PS3 yet? Gotta love the rain effects!
Quick snap I took while sitting on the grid, please excuse the flash reflection on the screen....

Damm that does look good.

But to be honest the ps3 has only just come out and the xbox 360 has been out a while now and im sure the developers have had a bit of extra time to learn and get the best out of the system.

Give it time and im sure we will see the ps3 at its best.

Cant wait to see the next final fantasy on it tbh.
Nex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #12
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
looks teh sex, 1080p? for some reason the xbox on VGA cable just doenst look any where near as sharp :/

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #13
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road
Maybe move this to user reviews?

I think its a really well written point of view from both of you.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:11 PM   #14
Nex

Assassin

Nex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond reputeNex has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
Maybe move this to user reviews?

I think its a really well written point of view from both of you.
This is the console forum where stuff about consoles is talked about like now.

The user reviews is for games.

Personally I think its fine where it is.

And yes good points all round.

The only thing that annoys me about the ps3 is its price.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #15
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex View Post
The only thing that annoys me about the ps3 is its price.
Doesn't it annoy all..
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:31 PM   #16
Nex

Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
Doesn't it annoy all..
Depends if you got the cash to splash I guess.

And yes I know its the same with most things but 200 dearer then Japan takes the piss.

If you got a hdmi cable another pad and a killer game bundled with it and a blu ray film and the remote that would of been better.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:21 PM   #17
Losty

Human Grunt

Losty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the roughLosty is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
looks teh sex, 1080p? for some reason the xbox on VGA cable just doenst look any where near as sharp :/
I just bought a VGA cable for my 360 and it doesn't look half as sharp or colourful as component.
Losty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:22 PM   #18
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losty View Post
I just bought a VGA cable for my 360 and it doesn't look half as sharp or colourful as component.
Teh sux, oh well getting a new monitae soon with component inputs

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 11:25 PM   #19
Demonjock

Manhack

Demonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enoughDemonjock will become famous soon enough
Dont forget be able to play the same amount of ps2 games as the rest of teh world would help also, but alas no we get rimmed. If blu-ray takes of i`l get the consol from japan/USA not gonna give over another 200 quid for them to ass rape me without the lube.
Demonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 07:22 AM   #20
dayspring

Poisonous Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losty View Post
I do have to say after testing both I found the component lead to have better colours but the VGA lead to give a sharper image.