GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Console Chat > Playstation

Playstation Covers discussions on anything Playstation related.

Old 18-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
The Griddler

Poisonous Zombie

The Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura about
PS3 YLOD

So after 5ish years of valiant service, my trusty 80GB PS3 got the dreaded yellow light of death last night. Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do to fix it?

Obviously, the warranty ran out a long time ago so I can't get Sony to replace it. Is it worth getting a local repair shop to fix it? Or will it just break again in a couple of weeks?

I'm hoping that I won't have to spend 100+ on a new PS3, but it seems like I might have to
The Griddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PS3 YLOD

From what I understand, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the YLOD is usually the same issue as RLOD and that's overheating. Both Microsoft and Sony botched their first set of consoles to get them to market and because of this, the solder was shoddy meaning that when the console overheated, the solder melted and moved the components out of whack.

People do a few things to fix this including:
  • The Towel Technique - Wrap the console in a towel and turn it on for 20 minutes. It overheats and reseats the solders... sometimes. It also has a tendency to burn your house down.
  • Take that motherfucker apart - Harrie's dad's did this I believe and he took the thing apart, removed all the components, cleaned them all up, reset it all and used thermal paste for something to do with the graphics card. Put it all together and it's still working today.

Honestly, I'd say either get a new one or wait until the PS4 launches. It's not backwards compatible iirc? So really comes down to if you want to play PS3 games.
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Maggy

Bullsquid

Maggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond reputeMaggy has a reputation beyond repute

oooh the amount of xbox 360s ive repaired by using a heat gun to "re flow" the solder...

its literally just taking the equivalent of a hairdryer to the motherboard...
"the law of the universe is the whole thing will turn to ****"
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
The Griddler

Poisonous Zombie

The Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
The Towel Technique - Wrap the console in a towel and turn it on for 20 minutes. It overheats and reseats the solders... sometimes. It also has a tendency to burn your house down.
I don't think the towel fix will work in this case, the PS3 turns on for a few seconds, beeps three times, then turns itself off again.

I've seen the heat gun fix in a couple of places. But I don't trust myself to take the thing apart and put it back together again so I'll probably take it to a repair shop and see if they can do that for me.

If all else fails I'll probably get a new one on the cheap and put my old hard drive in the new console. Cheers
Old 18-06-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
HarrieSilver

Hopper Mine

HarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant future

My dad had a few issues with his ylod a few years ago, we did everything to try and fix it (and hes very good at that sort of stuff) but in the end it kept happening after a few days of fixing multiple times, so we decided to get a new one.
HarrieSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute
Well don't I look like an idiot. I thought he fixed it.
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
The Griddler

Poisonous Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrieSilver View Post
My dad had a few issues with his ylod a few years ago, we did everything to try and fix it (and hes very good at that sort of stuff) but in the end it kept happening after a few days of fixing multiple times, so we decided to get a new one.
Yeah I went to the repair shop earlier and they said pretty much the same thing. Time to start looking for deals I think
Old 18-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say so. I've fixed a couple of PS3s and a 360 with the heat gun. The 360 is still working to this day but the PS3s all failed again within a few weeks.
Old 18-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
HarrieSilver

Hopper Mine

HarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griddler View Post
Yeah I went to the repair shop earlier and they said pretty much the same thing. Time to start looking for deals I think
Yeah it's probably best to do that so you don't spend all your time fixing it up again, you can get older models pretty cheap these days
Old 18-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
HarrieSilver

Hopper Mine

And another tip - we took the blu ray drive out, sold it on ebay for 50
Old 18-06-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
The Griddler

Poisonous Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrieSilver View Post
And another tip - we took the blu ray drive out, sold it on ebay for 50
Cool, thanks for the tip That'll give me some extra money towards a new one.
Old 18-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

I got an original 60Gb one with backwards compatible goodness from Game. More expensive than buying one off Ebay but it had a years warranty and I can play Ratchet & Clank so worth it to me.