GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > GameGrin Website Content

GameGrin Website Content Any feedback questions, FAQs, Ideas

Old 13-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
Roister Doister

Barnacle

Roister Doister is an unknown quantity at this pointRoister Doister is an unknown quantity at this point
The Last of Us PS3 Review

A new game review has just been added

The Last of Us PS3 Review

Visit here to read more

Snippet:
<p>The Last of UsĀ*is an epic tale of survival and friendship set 20 years in the future after our present day society has succumbed to a fungal outbreak, turning normal everyday human beings into psychotic murderous savages - or worse. It is truly a testament to just how far a current generation console can be pushed graphically, and as a result brings a tale with as much emotion, depth and realism as anything Hollywood can offer.</p>

......Read More
Roister Doister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

Emseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to all
Re: The Last of Us PS3 Review

Damn this looks amazing. I must own this!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domdange
Don't give what you can't take.
Emseypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Ewok

Human Grunt

Ewok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to behold

Awesome. I'll be getting this in a couple of weeks.
Old 13-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
The Griddler

Poisonous Zombie

The Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura about

Really can't wait to play this.
The Griddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #5
benjimino

Houndeye

benjimino is an unknown quantity at this point

Arriving tomorrow morning. I am ready!
benjimino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
Roister Doister

Barnacle

Roister Doister is an unknown quantity at this pointRoister Doister is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no doubt you'll all enjoy it. It would have been a definite 10/10 if not for the AI.
Old 17-06-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
VIKINGS

Snark

VIKINGS is on a distinguished roadVIKINGS is on a distinguished roadVIKINGS is on a distinguished roadVIKINGS is on a distinguished roadVIKINGS is on a distinguished roadVIKINGS is on a distinguished roadVIKINGS is on a distinguished road

Refresh my memory, this is gonna be a ps3 exclusive, right?
VIKINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKINGS View Post
Refresh my memory, this is gonna be a ps3 exclusive, right?
This is a PS3 exclusive. It's already out.
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
SilentHeaven109

Zombie

SilentHeaven109 is infamous around these partsSilentHeaven109 is infamous around these partsSilentHeaven109 is infamous around these partsSilentHeaven109 is infamous around these partsSilentHeaven109 is infamous around these partsSilentHeaven109 is infamous around these partsSilentHeaven109 is infamous around these partsSilentHeaven109 is infamous around these partsSilentHeaven109 is infamous around these parts

"and as a result brings a tale with as much emotion, depth and realism as anything Hollywood can offer."

I really dislike these kinds of comparisons. Mainly because videogames have been so much better than Hollywood movies, recently. I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema and saw anything with any kind of complexity or depth or even a likeable character.

Meanwhile, The Walking Dead, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and The Last of Us have all been astonishingly well written and beautifully crafted, far outstripping any of Hollywood's offerings, and these are the big AAA games selling millions of copies.

It probably wasn't your intention, but these kinds of statements carry an air of "It's good for a videogame" It suggests that games can only ever be beneath or on-par with movies, which simply is not true.
Old 17-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
Jamz

Antlion

Jamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review, Sir. Might just have to purchase...
Old 17-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #11
VIKINGS

Snark

VIKINGS is on a distinguished roadVIKINGS is on a distinguished roadVIKINGS is on a distinguished roadVIKINGS is on a distinguished roadVIKINGS is on a distinguished roadVIKINGS is on a distinguished roadVIKINGS is on a distinguished road

Sigh, stupid consoles, wish they never existed, lost too many good games to them.
VIKINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #12
benjimino

Houndeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentHeaven109 View Post
"and as a result brings a tale with as much emotion, depth and realism as anything Hollywood can offer."

I really dislike these kinds of comparisons. Mainly because videogames have been so much better than Hollywood movies, recently. I can't remember the last time I went to the cinema and saw anything with any kind of complexity or depth or even a likeable character.

Meanwhile, The Walking Dead, Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and The Last of Us have all been astonishingly well written and beautifully crafted, far outstripping any of Hollywood's offerings, and these are the big AAA games selling millions of copies.

It probably wasn't your intention, but these kinds of statements carry an air of "It's good for a videogame" It suggests that games can only ever be beneath or on-par with movies, which simply is not true.
I agree.
Old 23-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
Roister Doister

Barnacle

This comment was partly made to point out that studios like Hollywood have narrative storytelling as their primary, usually only, concern. Games in general don't need storytelling, as it's an industry where its games live or die by gameplay. If a game has a decent story then great! I certainly wasn't suggesting 'it's good for a videogame'; of course games have much better stories and narratives than most movies. But then again, games have a much longer timeframe in which to craft a compelling story, and a movie usually has to condense its message into a measly 90 minutes. They are just two different industries. The comparison made was to suggest that when you're playing the game you're in for a very filmic experience.
Old 23-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

Emseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to allEmseypenguin is a name known to all

All I took from the comment is that the game is like a shit hot hollywood blockbuster!
Quote:
Old 23-06-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

Also I think it's easier to convey emotions in films, as whether they're live action or not they are still graphically ahead of games so faces etc and acting is much more adept at conveying emotion. So for a game to be on that par without the same advantages is really good.
Quote:
Old 23-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
benjimino

Houndeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emseypenguin View Post
Also I think it's easier to convey emotions in films, as whether they're live action or not they are still graphically ahead of games so faces etc and acting is much more adept at conveying emotion. So for a game to be on that par without the same advantages is really good.
I think games actually have an advantage with regards to emotion. There are games out there that contain a wealth of emotion through sheer game mechanics (Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Journey etc.) The fact that the player is inputting anything at all is a huge deal, in my opinion. This is why it is difficult to appreciate a game when you've only watched somebody play it. It becomes another thing entirely when your hand is on the controller.

Books are another example where emotion is conveyed without technological advantages. Substance trumps all.

Last of Us was awesome, and it took the bull by the horns and tackled a lengthy narrative head on. I loved it! Better than any movie I've seen in a while, then again, had it been a movie, it wouldn't have been nearly as effective.
Old 23-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

Yes but developers have to work a lot harder to provide a substantive narrative that tugs on the heartstrings in games, so obviously a lot of work has gone into the last of us to create this immersive experience making it stand out from everything else in the entertainment industry and not just the medium of games.
Quote:
Old 23-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
benjimino

Houndeye

Quote:
Yes but developers have to work a lot harder to provide a substantive narrative that tugs on the heartstrings in games, so obviously a lot of work has gone into the last of us to create this immersive experience making it stand out from everything else in the entertainment industry and not just the medium of games.
Maybe it's because I'm not a movie goer, but I find games tug on my heartstrings a lot harder than movies do. I think the fact that they are longer and my investment is both physical and mental is a major factor for me.

No matter the medium, hard work goes into creating something memorable like The Last of Us or any other piece of substantial entertainment.

For me personally, Last of Us shines in this category not because of mo-cap or facial animation, but more dialogue and pacing. I think Last of Us naaaiiillleeddd it. God, it's such a good game.

On my Suvivor run right now!
Old 23-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #19
Emseypenguin
FUZZBUTT MCSNOWBALLS

I'm not sure what mo-cap is lol! I def want to play this thooooooooough.
Quote:
Old 23-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #20
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I'm not sure what mo-cap is lol! I def want to play this thooooooooough.
Motion capture.

Traditionally, it's difficult for a game to be able to affect somebody as much as a film would. With a game, you are in putting what happens and ultimately have control over what happens. In a film, you're completely at the liberty of the direction etc.

People tend to just see video games as a fame whilst they see a film as a story. Because of this, I agree with what Roister said about Hollywood. Traditionally speaking, it's the median that tells the most stories. Note, traditionally.
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote