GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion

Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion Chat about all your gadgets, toys and all things geek!

Old 16-10-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud of
My new media setup

It's all up and running now (bloody settings and menu's)

46" samsung 3d tv
denon 1909 hdmi 7.1 av receiver
gale 5.1 speakers (very old now)
dlink 3tb nas (2300 movies and 3600 tv eppisodes uploaded up to yet)
dlink gigabyte hub
n64 (21 games)
xbox 360
ideq 210p with 1.5tb, ati 3850 hd, duel tv card, 10x bluray/dvd burner, windows 7 x64 ultimate, xbmc
logitec diMini

The only thing thats missing is the snes and that'll be wired up tomorrow
Old 16-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My new media setup

Sure I read your using optical for the sound at some point, wont that degrade the audio what with it not being digital and all?

Other than that its a sexy setup mate

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 16-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

oBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud ofoBladeo has much to be proud of

I'm using hdmi where ever i can. If i can't then i'm using optical as this allows me to use 7.1 without all the mess and fire risk (i have 12 plug sockets back their with wires going all over the place, anymore cables i would be at risk)
Old 16-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't it downscale though due to it not being HDCP compliment?

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 16-10-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
djdawsonuk

Bullsquid
Administrator

djdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond repute

Optical cables still carry a digital signal, so the quality of the audio getting to the receiver would be the same as going via HDMI. HDCP only stops the copying of video and audio with unssupported devices (DRM for HD, if you will) so there's no downscaling as a result. Just that the audio could easily be copied (recorded) by a device attached to the amp.

(May be subject to being wrong on the above, but that's how I believe it to work)
Old 25-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
sprite

Fast Headcrab

sprite is just really nicesprite is just really nicesprite is just really nicesprite is just really nicesprite is just really nicesprite is just really nicesprite is just really nicesprite is just really nicesprite is just really nicesprite is just really nicesprite is just really nice

As far as i'm aware (and im no expert), optical is physically capable of carrying HD audio but the protocol (S/PDIF) isn't.. So any audio passed via optical will not be HD, it will be downgraded. Silly really.

Nice setup mate, Denon 1909 is a luvvverly amp.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
jeff-gamer

Scanner

jeff-gamer is an unknown quantity at this point

looks good mate - but hate to be the bearer of bad news - but looks like things are going consoless - read somewhere that soon we'll be able to play video games without a console - it will all be streamed or something!
Old 11-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff-gamer View Post
looks good mate - but hate to be the bearer of bad news - but looks like things are going consoless - read somewhere that soon we'll be able to play video games without a console - it will all be streamed or something!
Sounds like your talking about the Onlive

http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/gadge...al-with-onlive
Old 11-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
jeff-gamer

Scanner

jeff-gamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Playcast Media?

This was the title of the piece of news I found:
Portugal Telecom and Playcast Media Launch High-End Video Games Streaming Service

What do you think of it?
Old 11-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
oBladeo

Vortigaunt

not sure about that as theres little info about it and how it would work in the real world.

Onlive has already been though beta and should be being released in yje UK soon
Old 04-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
chloe
Banned

chloe is an unknown quantity at this point

My Dad promise me to buy this samsung 3d tv for me at this Christmas..