GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Comedy and Jokes

Comedy and Jokes Chat about Comedy, Jokes and Amusements

Old 23-01-2014, 02:40 PM   #21
Jetgirl

Poisonous Headcrab

Jetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura about
Re: Stand-Up Comedians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
He was my brother's drama teacher at school.

Another one is Milton Jones. Family friend.
I LOVE Milton Jones!

Eddie Izzard is probably my all time favourite comedian. My husband is responsible for about 27 peoples love of Eddie Izzard by playing his Dressed to Kill Tour CD in his car back in the day. We got tickets to see Eddie Izzard for a wedding gift... best gift ever :-) He is the only comedian we have DVDs of tbh and we have them all (except the very latest one)

I like Michael McIntyre as well but that's mostly as a parent. He does some stuff that really rings true when you have kids. Also the man drawer sketch had me in stitches.

I love all the old Rik Mayall/Ade Edmondson stuff (bottom, young ones, fr & c, comic strip presents etc) but it's not stand up :P My brother hunted forever to get me the Dangerous Brothers on DVD because he remembers me making him watch it as a kid lol.

Last edited by Jetgirl; 23-01-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 26-01-2014, 01:50 AM   #22
Lesmocon

Houndeye

Lesmocon is on a distinguished roadLesmocon is on a distinguished roadLesmocon is on a distinguished roadLesmocon is on a distinguished roadLesmocon is on a distinguished roadLesmocon is on a distinguished road

I'm finding myself watching less and less comedy these days because there's an increasing amount of "wtf how are they even on television" sort of people, there's especially been an irritating serge of "young" comedians who make me feel embarrassed to be under 25 myself.

Favs:

Sean Lock
Ross Noble
Dara O'Briain
Lee Mack
David Mitchell (although not technically a standup)
Paul Merton
Joe Wilkinson - I haven't actually seen much of his stuff, but he has made me laugh on every single 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown, which is a way better show than it has any right to be.
Ricky Gervais + Karl Pilkington (Gervais on his own gets bunked down to the below category)
Stephen Fry (but this is more for all round personality than comedy tbh)

Consistently tolerable (which is an achievement to me)

Jimmy Carr
Noel Fielding
Russell Brand
Bill Bailey
Doug Stanhope
Hugh Dennis
Marcus Brigstocke
Frank Skinner
Lee Evans
Rhod Gilbert
Rob Brydon (this guy irritates me just for the fact I -should- hate him but never do)

Just No.

Michael McIntyre - I don't really want to bash him because I think he's a great performer/entertainer and good to see him getting big gigs on Saturday night TV shows, but his comedy is way too safe and homogenised for me to get anything out of.

Stephen K Amos - Replace joke with "I'm black/gay (delete where appropriate) weird innit?" and you get about the same effect.

One liner Comedians - They're cute when they get a five minute spot on a TV show but actually watching a 80 minute show of this stuff is like pulling teeth. One liner comedians to me is like watching a compilation of random explosions instead of an action movie.

"Gimmick" Comedians - Basically Stephen K Amos again but extending the thing to everyone who falls under this style. Think comedians where you could just replace all their jokes with "As a -insert social class, race, gender or sexuality here- I often -shite anecdote-" There's a bit of this with most non-improv routines but I'm talking about people who make their entire show out of it.

Jo Brand - She's been on every single comedy show since about 1927 and never made me laugh once, I don't hate her but I feel like something's wrong and it's not my fault.

"Ooo err missus" Comedians - Innuendo reliant imbeciles, guys like Alan Carr are just knob for me. OOHHH DOWN BOY

That time where Jack Whitehall said he was watching TOWIE with Baroness Trumpington on HIGNFY - I don't hate Jack Whitehall enough to put him on this list but this particular joke was the only example I could think of like what I said at the top, stupid stuff like this is why everyone over 30 hates everyone under 30.

Everyone else I either forget about, haven't watched much of, or just can't be bothered to mention.
Old 26-01-2014, 03:00 AM   #23
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Stand-Up Comedians

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyStoat View Post
There is only one God in my world - Rik Mayall.

Wanna discuss Bottom/Young Ones/FR&C/Bad News/21stCC/etc... am your gal.

Everything else is meh. :P
he doesn't do comedy anymore..

and PS

Last edited by Bobster; 26-01-2014 at 03:08 AM.
Old 26-01-2014, 11:54 AM   #24
Ewok

Human Grunt

Ewok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to behold

Love a bit of stand up. Watched Greg Davies' most recent one lately and thought it was good. Very 'guy' humour though, so some of the ladies might not like it.

Dara O'Briain is probably my favourite, but I like a pretty wide selection of comedians - Jimmy Carr, Tim Minchin, John Bishop, Bill Bailey...

I intensely dislike the following: -

Female comedians whose jokes focus on chocolate, weight loss/gain, periods and ragging on men.

Gay comedians who don't even tell jokes, and get laughs just by being camp.

Second or third generation-immigrant comedians who do an impressions of an elderly relative, because clearly putting on an accent is 'hilarious'.

Michael McIntyre - because he laughs at his own jokes, does so louder than anyone in the audience, and does it way before the punchline - and when he gets to it, turns out to be distinctly unfunny anyway.
Old 26-01-2014, 12:09 PM   #25
Jetgirl

Poisonous Headcrab

Jetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura aboutJetgirl has a spectacular aura about

Rik Mayal has done little since his quad bike incident, he really stepped down after that.

Most comedians I see on Mock the Week are decent. Mostly my main thing is I can watch a lot but 95% of comedians I won't rewatch as they are often only funny the first time. Eddie Izzard is really the only person who I have ever watched his shows over and over and it is his mannerisms which get me.
Old 27-01-2014, 09:56 PM   #26
finlay666

Poisonous Zombie

finlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
Love a bit of stand up. Watched Greg Davies' most recent one lately and thought it was good. Very 'guy' humour though, so some of the ladies might not like it.
Should have said you were going! Was laughing when he 'accidentally' revealed the real name of his mate with the psycho wife though
Old 27-01-2014, 10:09 PM   #27
Ewok

Human Grunt

Ewok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to behold

Going? Didn't 'go' anywhere mate, sat home in my fat arse and watched the DVD
Old 28-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #28
finlay666

Poisonous Zombie

finlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud of

pfft lazy, he was at City hall
Old 28-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #29
FoxyStoat

Human Grunt

FoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetgirl View Post
I LOVE Milton Jones!
I love all the old Rik Mayall/Ade Edmondson stuff (bottom, young ones, fr & c, comic strip presents etc) but it's not stand up :P My brother hunted forever to get me the Dangerous Brothers on DVD because he remembers me making him watch it as a kid lol.
It's now on the internet (yay You Tube) in case you ever fancy watching it, I love their stand up routine from before it went to DVD as they cocked up so much when they were young it works perfectly with the shitty audience.
Old 31-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #30
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice

Reg D hunter is missing from here, There is a fantasic clip of him on HIGNFY
Old 31-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #31
snaggs

Manhack

snaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nicesnaggs is just really nice

also this one is funny,
Old 08-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #32
Misterwoot

Manhack

Misterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura about

Love the work of :
Hank Rollins (speaking from the box tour especially)
Lenny Bruce
George M'Fkin' CARLIN <<< If you don't know this man and his comedy, go to netflix and WATCH SOME you trolls!
Bill Hicks. Life is just a ride folks, life is just a ride.

Shoot First, Second, Third and Fourth.... and ask questions to fill time while you reload.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:11 PM   #33
snaggs

Manhack

Bill Hicks" hah he is funny
Old 08-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #34
Misterwoot

Manhack

Misterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura about

Just to prove the point about George.

Shoot First, Second, Third and Fourth.... and ask questions to fill time while you reload.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #35
snaggs

Manhack

Giving it a go now mate

( said the Quick-Fit engineer to Ryan Munro)
Old 08-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #36
snaggs

Manhack

23 mins in and yes x3께께께께께 funny
Old 08-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #37
snaggs

Manhack

Brilliant !
Old 09-02-2014, 12:22 PM   #38
Misterwoot

Manhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
he doesn't do comedy anymore..

and PS
Back in the mists of time when he and Rick were on one of the Bottom tours they dropped in to a little Bistro in Bakewell in Derbyshire called Scotties. A lanky amphetamine addict Chef called Mark and I cooked them steak and they said it was amazing

Old 03-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #39
KBHop

Scanner

KBHop will become famous soon enoughKBHop will become famous soon enoughKBHop will become famous soon enoughKBHop will become famous soon enoughKBHop will become famous soon enoughKBHop will become famous soon enoughKBHop will become famous soon enoughKBHop will become famous soon enoughKBHop will become famous soon enoughKBHop will become famous soon enough

Personally Jimmy Carr is the most annoying man on tv...don't even know what it is about the bloke but I have change channels if he's on.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:31 PM   #40
snaggs

Manhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBHop View Post
Personally Jimmy Carr is the most annoying man on tv...don't even know what it is about the bloke but I have change channels if he's on.
I have the same reaction to Alan Carr