GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Comedy and Jokes

Comedy and Jokes Chat about Comedy, Jokes and Amusements

Old 14-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #1
Acelister

Tentacle

Acelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to all
Stand-Up Comedians

We obviously all like to laugh - I've seen the other threads in this sub - so who do we all like to laugh to? I'd post in the other threads, but I see the funny pictures/memes, I don't make them...

My favourite, without a doubt, is Lee Evans. I owned most of his DVD's even before the boxset came out. Which I also bought... I like the obvious ones - Billy Connolly, Victoria Wood, Richard Prior, George Carlin... But Evans is my favourite.

Some I've only come across from podcasts include Christopher Titus, Cash Levy and Jim Jeffries. Also the Radio 4 Friday Night Comedy podcast has various comedians, though I've yet to track down their stand-up stuff.
Old 14-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #2
FoxyStoat

Human Grunt

FoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stand-Up Comedians

There is only one God in my world - Rik Mayall.

Wanna discuss Bottom/Young Ones/FR&C/Bad News/21stCC/etc... am your gal.

Everything else is meh. :P
Old 15-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #3
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute
Used to love Lee Evans. Still do, but don't watch his stuff too much. Quite like Tim Minchin but gotta be in the mood to watch his stuff.

Don't really have a favourite thanks to Netflix. I watch shit loads of stand up on there. Really love Eddie Izzards stand ups. Quite like Jimmy Carr and Bill Bailey but also like quite a lot of American stand ups whose names currently allude me.
Old 15-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

Bill Bailey and Ross Noble are my two favorite comedians of all time.

For US chaps, you pretty much can't beat Ben Bailey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r--ROIljv0Y
Old 15-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #5
HarrieSilver

Hopper Mine

HarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant futureHarrieSilver has a brilliant future

Jumping on the main stream train here but Michael McIntyre's latest one where he does the whole skit about going to the dentist, never laughed so much at a comedian in all my life.
Old 15-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
For US chaps, you pretty much can't beat Ben Bailey.
Get out of here with your Ben's! We have our Bailey's Bill, and we like it that way!
Old 15-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #7
Acelister

Tentacle

Acelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrieSilver View Post
Jumping on the main stream train here but Michael McIntyre's latest one where he does the whole skit about going to the dentist, never laughed so much at a comedian in all my life.
No, no, let me fix that for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrieSilver View Post
Michael McIntyre... never laughed at that "comedian" in all my life.
Ah, much better. My wife loves him - I've smiled once at a "joke", and that was only because I wasn't expecting the punchline.

I liked Rik Mayall so much, when my old secondary school did a talent show, my friend and I wrote a Bottom Jr script. I was Eddie, he was Rik. He had better lines, so he wanted to be Rik first... At least I got to beat him up in front of our Year 10. Though I'll admit I've only ever seen him on TV shows, unaware of any stand-up he may have released.

Eddie Izzard and Jimmy Carr are very funny guys. I believe the last time I saw Izzard on tv, it was that Day Of The Triffids remake...
Old 15-01-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acelister View Post
Ah, much better. My wife loves him - I've smiled once at a "joke", and that was only because I wasn't expecting the punchline.
Thing with Michael McIntrye is that he's a really good observational comedian. He's so popular because his observations are very relatable.

I love his stand up, for the most part. It's just simple and easy to understand :P.

Quote:
I liked Rik Mayall so much, when my old secondary school did a talent show, my friend and I wrote a Bottom Jr script. I was Eddie, he was Rik. He had better lines, so he wanted to be Rik first... At least I got to beat him up in front of our Year 10. Though I'll admit I've only ever seen him on TV shows, unaware of any stand-up he may have released.
Couldn't car less for Rik Mayall. I hated his character in The Young Ones and every subsequent role he's played. The only character I could bare was Lord Flashheart in Blackadder, and that's only because I love Blackadder.

I find his hole way of acting really, really irritating.

Quote:
Eddie Izzard and Jimmy Carr are very funny guys. I believe the last time I saw Izzard on tv, it was that Day Of The Triffids remake...
Harrie (iEmSilver) and I went to see Eddie Izzard the other month at the O2. Was pretty good - made a lot of references to his older stuff.
Thing I like about Eddit Izzard is that he can play multiple characters though. He's really funny at Stand Up and can also play non-comedic characters such as in The Riches. Very similar to Billy Connolly in that sense.
Old 15-01-2014, 02:42 PM   #9
FoxyStoat

Human Grunt

FoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond reputeFoxyStoat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, no, let me fix that for you...
Star Trek fan AND Rik Mayall fan? You are a rising in the numbers to be a great GG member.

Mayall hasn't done stand up since he started out in the comedy clubs of London, he's never really been a fan of it anyways. Since his comedy partner Edmondson prefers "serious acting" aka driving around the UK meeting old people and talking about pie/wheels/cider their routines and Bottom ideas went out the window .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaostic View Post
Thing with Michael McIntrye is that he's a really good observational comedian. He's so popular because his observations are very relatable.

I love his stand up, for the most part. It's just simple and easy to understand :P.
That explains a lot. :P

Quote:
Couldn't car less for Rik Mayall. I hated his character in The Young Ones and every subsequent role he's played. The only character I could bare was Lord Flashheart in Blackadder, and that's only because I love Blackadder.
Blackadder is immense, I love any of the old 90s comedy shows and this is one of the greats. When the Gold TV channel do the Blackadder specials they always include the interviews of saying how good Mayall is as an actor and how much it made everyone else work that little bit harder to match his expertise and performance.
Old 15-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyStoat View Post
How much it made everyone else work that little bit harder to match his expertise and performance.
Nah, they all just had to raise their voices otherwise the sound guys have 3 days extra work trying to match it all.
Old 15-01-2014, 06:10 PM   #11
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

Loving Greg Davies at the minute, both his live DVDs are hilarious.

Sean Locks pretty good too. Dylan Moran has some great stand up too.
Old 15-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael316 View Post
Loving Greg Davies at the minute, both his live DVDs are hilarious.
He was my brother's drama teacher at school.

Another one is Milton Jones. Family friend.
Old 16-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
finlay666

Poisonous Zombie

finlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud of

Sorry for your family

Do like stand up and tend to go see quite a lot, of the top of my head I've seen
Michael McIntyre
Paul Tomkinson
Tim Minchin
Ed Byrne
Mark Thomas
Ben Norris
Steffen Peddie
Greg Davies
Sarah Millican
Billy Kirkwood
Henry Rollins (more spoken word than comedy)
Mick Foley (WWE Mankind)
Sean Walsh
Josh Widdecombe

That's it off the top of my head for the past year or 2
Old 17-01-2014, 02:03 PM   #14
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
He was my brother's drama teacher at school.
So, DOes your brother know who the Kids he talks about in his "Cheeseballs" DVD are??
Old 17-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #15
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael316 View Post
So, DOes your brother know who the Kids he talks about in his "Cheeseballs" DVD are??
What story was it? Remember, he was a teacher for 13 years. My brother only had him for 5 for a few lessons a week :P
Old 17-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #16
Benneb

Poisonous Zombie

Benneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of lightBenneb is a glorious beacon of light

One I'd like to see live is Dara O'Briain. I love the way he uses the audience. It makes each show different.

Old 17-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #17
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Agree totally. He's fantastic.
Old 20-01-2014, 08:49 PM   #18
Acelister

Tentacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by finlay666 View Post
Sorry for your family

Do like stand up and tend to go see quite a lot, of the top of my head I've seen
Michael McIntyre
Paul Tomkinson
Tim Minchin
Ed Byrne
Mark Thomas
Ben Norris
Steffen Peddie
Greg Davies
Sarah Millican
Billy Kirkwood
Henry Rollins (more spoken word than comedy)
Mick Foley (WWE Mankind)
Sean Walsh
Josh Widdecombe

That's it off the top of my head for the past year or 2
You saw Mick Foley? Lucky! I read his autobiography years ago - borrowed it from my mate - and it was so interesting! When I heard on Radio 2 that he was doing stand-up, my jaw hit the ground - then he said he was writing books! I was watching WWE when he was still in and he was one of my favourites.

The only live stand-up I've seen was Lee Evans in Oxford in, I want to say, 2002 and a trio of acts at Jongleurs in Oxford. Long before it became "The Glee Club"...
Old 20-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #19
The Griddler

Poisonous Zombie

The Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura aboutThe Griddler has a spectacular aura about

The only well known comedian I've seen is Bill Bailey, but I'm seeing Lee Evans later this year.
I also really enjoy:
Louis CK
Ross Noble
Dylan Moran
Eddie Izzard
Billy Connolly
Old 21-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #20
finlay666

Poisonous Zombie

finlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud of

Quote:
You saw Mick Foley? Lucky! I read his autobiography years ago - borrowed it from my mate - and it was so interesting! When I heard on Radio 2 that he was doing stand-up, my jaw hit the ground - then he said he was writing books! I was watching WWE when he was still in and he was one of my favourites.

The only live stand-up I've seen was Lee Evans in Oxford in, I want to say, 2002 and a trio of acts at Jongleurs in Oxford. Long before it became "The Glee Club"...
Yep was looking at a local theatre listings, saw he was doing standup and got tickets and dragged my gf along, funnily enough ended up bumping into one of her good mates there!

The support acts were good too, Billy Kirkwood does regular spots at the Stand in Glasgow/Newcastle as well as commentary on an indie wrestling scene in Scotland and Steffen Peddie is big Keith in Hebburn and a pretty sound guy in general (they filmed bits near where I live and the road the house is on my mates parents live so they met all the cast)