GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > All Things GameGrin (GG) > Web Site: Updates & Problems

Web Site: Updates & Problems Noticed a problem with the GameGrin site or unsure how to use a feature? Post in here for more information.

Old 30-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute
GameGrin XP

Hi everyone

We have been messing around with a reward system idea for about 5 years, So Dawson and I put this in to play about 4 months ago and now the staff have put some pretty good input in to this.

You can log in with your forum account (email or username)
OR
you can login with a Facebook account.

If your Facebook account has the same email address that you are signed up on the forums with, it will automatically link the two accounts together for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	24403

For the next features to work at their best, you are going to need your accounts linked.
If you just log in to the main website with your forum account.

Once you are logged in you will notice it give you your XP score at the top LEFT hand side.
Click it to go to your WEBSITE profile.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	24404
Example of a profile is like this
This profile show you everything from points you have earned to other interactions with the website.
Currently how to earn points (automatable)
  • Posting comments on website articles
  • Taking the piss out of Kris on the forums
What you will be able to earn points in the future
  • Logging to the website each day (not forums)
  • Adding games to your profile
  • Helping contributing towards building up the games directory (see post at bottom to explain this one)
  • Reading website content
  • posting in the forums each week
  • Starting new threads on the forum.
  • Turning up to theme nights
  • Coming to LANs
  • Liking/following - Facebook/Twitter
  • Sharing articles on social networks
  • Referral Program (staff)
Points are also being used for Staff, in a big way.
Currently for posting comments you get 5 points, but this is subject to change (while we are testing the system out fully.)

If you post a comment on the main website, PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU ARE LOGGED IN TO THE GameGrin website (as well as the social you are posting from) or it will not give you points.)

Points will be able to be used to buy things, from LAN discount to Press kits (really rare stuff we are given for games sometimes)

Again, here is some examples of what we are planning on giving away.
(please note, the points aren't set yet but these are the sort of prizes giving away)

Feel free to make some comments on articles, you will notice the website will inform you that you have just earned some points.

I am sure you have loads of questions, fire away.

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by djdawsonuk; 30-10-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: GameGrin XP

How do you know for sure if your accounts are linked? my login details are the same but I am sure I had to sign up seperatly a while back?

Also do you still get forum based points if you dont have the main website open?

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

And there does not seem to be a way to edit my profile unless I am being blind?, clicking profile gives me a page with non clickable text?

Edit just clicked a review, gone to comments and there is no way to add a comment?

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 30-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
JK Ferret

Human Grunt

JK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond reputeJK Ferret has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure the 2nd currently automated points-giving implementation is WAI. How is it to know whether we are extracting the urine from Kris, or whether it's sarcasm, and what if it's more fun to do it to someone else and Kris is a co-conspirator in said plot (eg, on-the-fly creation of websites to troll TGK who is clueless. I wasn't there but I've seen the evidence)? SO MANY VARIABLES AND ETC!

@Plat: It gives me a comment box, so /shrug. Is your facebook linked? Mine seems to be, it says on the front page that I and a few thousand others like it and the comments show as my fb profile.
JK Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #5
Platinum
raggggggggge

Don think FB is linked, where do I go to link it?

Also whats to stop me adding every game and commenting on every article to boost XP?

Old 30-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
Platinum
raggggggggge

Ok so I got XP from commenting on a article but nothing from adding games to my profile, can we get a full run down of what gives XP and the steps needed to have the XP added?

Also "Logging to the website each day (not forums)", I automatically log in and generally don't close my browser, do I need to log out and back in again daily to get XP?

Old 30-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
Platinum
raggggggggge

One more post.

Great work all round guys, sorry for the post spam, not trying ot be annoying just trying to help with any bugs / issues / stupid users called Platinum.

Old 30-10-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Ok so I got XP from commenting on a article but nothing from adding games to my profile, can we get a full run down of what gives XP and the steps needed to have the XP added?
It says that in the first post, its only for comments at the moment, under that it lists what is coming

Quote:
Also "Logging to the website each day (not forums)", I automatically log in and generally don't close my browser, do I need to log out and back in again daily to get XP?
If it keeps you logged in, you will not need to log out and back in again (Dawson is really cleaver like that)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 30-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
How do you know for sure if your accounts are linked? my login details are the same but I am sure I had to sign up seperatly a while back?
Basically if your FB has the same email address the forums account, its linked.
Or you can just log in to the main site with the forums (that automatically links)

Quote:
Also do you still get forum based points if you dont have the main website open?
Yes, when the forum points come in, it will be automatic (this is why we need the two account linked)

Quote:
And there does not seem to be a way to edit my profile unless I am being blind?, clicking profile gives me a page with non clickable text?
Not sure how much you can add to your profile yet, Will log in as a user later and check for you.[/quote]

Quote:
Edit just clicked a review, gone to comments and there is no way to add a comment?
I trust you sorted that one out

Quote:

Also whats to stop me adding every game and commenting on every article to boost XP?
If it gets silly, its not hard for dawson to put a limit on it, plus we can check the back end and remove points if someone has just spammed

Quote:
One more post.

Great work all round guys, sorry for the post spam, not trying ot be annoying just trying to help with any bugs / issues / stupid users called Platinum.
Keep them coming, we are more likely to find mistakes by you asking questions to us.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 30-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Platinum
raggggggggge

Cheers, I had a plugin that blocked the FB element, disabled that for this site now.

Right back to trying to break it

Old 30-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #11
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Cheers, I had a plugin that blocked the FB element, disabled that for this site now.

Right back to trying to break it

Yeah we had some issues a plug in blocking the comments, believe it was a cookie/tracker system blocker of sorts

Follow me on Twitter
Old 30-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #12
fazer

Manhack

fazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud of

OK, my email address for FB is the same email address for the forums, however it will not let me log into the main site front page with my forum account, but does with FB link.
So would you my accounts are linked or not?
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
Platinum
raggggggggge

How the fuck do you have 3000 xp thats what 600 comment posts???

Old 30-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #14
Platinum
raggggggggge

Quote:
How the fuck do you have 3000 xp thats what 600 comment posts???
Oh and Kris bums boys

Old 30-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #15
Platinum
raggggggggge

Suggestion, users XP display it in the users forum side text to the left

<------

Old 31-10-2014, 12:08 AM   #16
djdawsonuk

Bullsquid
Administrator

djdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer View Post
OK, my email address for FB is the same email address for the forums, however it will not let me log into the main site front page with my forum account, but does with FB link.
So would you my accounts are linked or not?
Did you try logging in with your username or email address on the front end?
Old 31-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #17
fazer

Manhack

fazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdawsonuk View Post
Did you try logging in with your username or email address on the front end?
Username, gonna try email address, however when I first signed up at GG it was with another defunct email address.

Just tried, got server error, sec at work will try chrome.

Ok none work, old and new email, I just get server error.
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #18
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Suggestion, users XP display it in the users forum side text to the left

<------
Have added it to the job list, not sure how easy it will be, VB forums and post profiles (bit to the left) can be a bit tricky at times

Follow me on Twitter