GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > Gaming Forums - Chat about Video Games > Misc Games Chat

Old 05-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Steam wow

7,805,443 peak users online.

Steams going from strength to strength at the moment and SteamOS is only gonna make things better, I wonder if MS / Sony are worried?

Once console gamers get wind of Steam sales and the overall prices of games on there vs Console then there may be a wave of converts

And box prices, check this out, $499 with a more powerful GPU than the PS4!

http://www.steamfirst.com/ces-2014-i...cially-coming/

All hail Gaben

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #2
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of
Re: Steam wow

Have you read this piece by Yahtzee?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...eturning-to-PC

Very eloquently put. This bit in particular nails it for me.

Quote:
When gaming was in its infancy, PCs and consoles occupied opposing ends of the spectrum. PCs were more about adventure games, strategy games, simulators and the like. Appealing to the older crowd with the necessary level of computer literacy, focussing on more thoughtful aspects like writing and preparing for the challenges ahead. Consoles, meanwhile, were the children of arcade gaming and offered quick, gameplay-focussed adrenaline challenges that generally appealed more to the young. And this was all fine. Neither was better than the other, they just appealed to different audiences. Console gamers didn't want to have to faff about with installation, boot disks, operating systems and the like. The inability to write documents or hack into classified missile defence systems was an acceptable loss if it meant they could just switch on and start playing.

But now, I get my Xbone set up, put a game disk in, and could find myself waiting anything up to an hour before reaching the point where I am in the game and moving the little man around with the controller. The amount of time between console switched on and moving the little man around would embarrass my old Commodore 64. So that's one traditional benefit of console gaming out the window.
I've spent way more time on Steam in the last few days than I have in months, owing in part to a phenomenal backlog of games from the Humble Bundles. I'd still say I'm primarily a console gamer just 'cos I find it comfier (seriously, KB+M is better for aiming, but I feel like Satan has used my fingers to pleasure his spined and fiery bottom and I dislike this) but I'm far more likely to switch as opposed to upgrade.
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

I am having a simalar experience with my XBOne, from putting the NFS Rivals disc in to playing it was almost half a hour, first it wanted to install, then patch.
I could play it half way through the install but whats the point when its pretty much a demo at that point.

With Steam I can set the install going anywhere as long as its logged in at home and then get home to find my latest purchase installed and ready to go.

Steam is going places, fast.

Oh and Digital downloads on XBOne like 10 more than disc, convenience tax, thats going to get people to move over sure.

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 06-01-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
Kaostic

“Because cards...”

Kaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond reputeKaostic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
Oh and Digital downloads on XBOne like 10 more than disc, convenience tax, thats going to get people to move over sure.
This is what pisses me off more than anything. You can't take a physical retail product, put it into digital distribution and charge the same amount.

The vast majority of a retail product is profit, obviously, but it's also high due to production, shipping etc. You don't get any of this with digital distribution. 30 max. for an online game, and that's still getting gamers to lube up and be bummed by EA for profit.
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Platinum
raggggggggge

TBH it is sort of the same on Steam but not to the same levels, past few AAA titles I have bought for the PC I bought the version on disc and attached it to Steam, only a few quid to be saved though.

Old 06-01-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
djdawsonuk

Bullsquid
Administrator

djdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond repute

It's definitely an interesting time for gaming, that's for sure. Will this pull the masses away from consoles..? I'm not so sure.

You've got to remember that "Peak Users Online" doesn't mean their actively using the Steam service to be playing a game at that time. You'll be lumped into that stat if you're just signed in!
Old 06-01-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
TGK

Civil Protection

TGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond reputeTGK has a reputation beyond repute

such trading cards
much inventory
wow
Old 06-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

I think it will start to pull people over, and I'm hoping it means the console devs will sort their act out. The point about digital downloads is a great one - why in the name of all things good and clean would I pay $60 to download a new game when I *could* wait for a week and buy it second hand for a minimum of $10 cheaper? Or even buy it from a store for a special price? That's not even taking into consideration how utterly useless console HDDs are for storing games. I have something like 120 Xbox 360 games on my shelf - at, say, 5gb per game (not including multidisc games) that's 600 gig, already more than an Xbone's hard drive, and I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume the Bone has far larger files for each game.
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #9
djdawsonuk

Bullsquid
Administrator

djdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond reputedjdawsonuk has a reputation beyond repute

I missed a point in my previous post where I was meant to say that I think it will pull 'core' PC gamers, definitely.

And pricing. Yes. I agree 100% there. That needs to change.