GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 25-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Killa-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud of
The sexy HD 5970...

In direct relation to this thread, here are some snaps and some info on the 5970 I managed to get my hands on.

Dimensions
The card is dual slot, a little wider than the 8800GTX she's replacing which means she's very close to my sound card (pictured).
The card length is fairly extreme, as you can see from the side by side shots of the the cards.
It fits comfortably in to my Hiper HTC-1K514, Osiris Mid-Tower Case. It would prevent an optical drive being installed at the same level as the card, because of the length.

Drivers
Initial impression isn't that good but I think in time I'll grow to like them. They do seem counter-intuitive to use, getting my usual dual display setup working was a bit of a ball ache and I had to turn the software to basic mode and use a wizard, easy once I found it...
Out of the box performance tweaking and vitals monitoring is included which is nice.

Temps
Putting my hand to the rear exhaust suggests a very warm running card. The drivers have indicated approx max of 77 degrees under load so far. This is in a 20 degree room. The temp gauge suggests this right where it supposed to be.

Power Consumption
There have been no power issues to speak of.
The 5970 requires two PCI-E power adapters, 1x 6pin and 1x 8pin (pictured). I have 3 SATA HDD's, 1 IDE Optical, PCI Sound Card, i7 CPU, 2 RAM DIMMS, Asus P6T board powered by a 620W Corsair HX Series Modular SLi PSU.

Performance
Initially I'm very, very impressed.
So far I've tested with GTA4, Crysis, Far Cry 2, Arma II, CS: Source. I maxed settings to highest/ultra etc and used 2560x1600. So far I've yet to experience unplayable framerates.

CrossFire
I haven't seen any options related to CrossFire... I'm guessing the drivers and hardware is doing it automagically. I'm also guessing that a single GPU would not be able to provide playable framerates in with the maxed out settings I've tested. If its automagic, I like the transparency.

I'll post up some more detailed benchies at some point in the coming weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8086.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	20903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8087.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	20904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8088.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	20905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8089.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	20906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8091.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	20907  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8092.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	20908  

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Achtung Baby!

Xfire: gokyle

Last edited by Killa-Kyle; 25-11-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Killa-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
MaddAussie

Antlion

MaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond reputeMaddAussie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The sexy HD 5970...

Look at the size of that thing, I thought my GTX 260 was big....
Old 25-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

My God. Its frickin' HUGE!!!

Takes me back to full length ISA cards. lol.

AFA (From Facebook) :

Yay little boys are awesome...

azrael316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

I want one now!, Think ill wait for Fermi though, even if its toss it should bring ATI's prices down.
My system feels lacking, shiny i7 held back by my single GTX 260 , Hmmm SLI...

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
I want one now!, Think ill wait for Fermi though, even if its toss it should bring ATI's prices down.
Same, I can't afford 500 for a graphics card right now.
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Killa-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud of

Quote:
Per my other post, 2x 260's seem generally faster than a 295 Bit of a power hog tho...

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Achtung Baby!

Old 25-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcessNeo View Post
Same, I can't afford 500 for a graphics card right now.
My GFX blew, hence me being on the look for one. My problem was actually finding stock!

Scan still out of all 58XX stock...

Looks like they have some ASUS 5970's tho...

Achtung Baby!

Old 25-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #8
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Want, but I refuse to pay almost 600 for a card, even if I can afford it.

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 25-11-2009, 11:03 PM   #9
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Quote:
Want, but I refuse to pay almost 600 for a card, even if I can afford it.
Its technically 2x 5870's right? Given that its a single card solution with good power consumption and little cheaper than 2x 5870's... its not that bad.

It will probably see 3 or 4 years before it needs replacement (or dare I say 2x 5970's). 200 per year if you replaced it after 3. Spreading the cost... 55 pence per day, 16 quid a month.

I have an xmas bonus coming up, so its not so harsh for me to front the cash. Scan finance is always an option...

Achtung Baby!

Old 25-11-2009, 11:47 PM   #10
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Far Cry 2 benchmarks:

1920x1080 (HD) Ultra High

2560x1600 Ultra HighNot sure if the 2560x1600 8x AA tests are CPU or GPU bound. Will do some CPU/GPU graph observations at some point.

Achtung Baby!

Last edited by Killa-Kyle; 26-11-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 26-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa-Kyle View Post
Far Cry 2 benchmarks:

1920x1080 (HD) Ultra High

2560x1600 Ultra HighNot sure if the 2560x1600 8x AA tests are CPU or GPU bound. Will do some CPU/GPU graph observations at some point.
To be fair at those resolutions you don't exactly need that much AA, I basically never turn it on and I'm playing 1920x1200.
Old 26-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #12
Platinum
raggggggggge

Quote:
Its technically 2x 5870's right? Given that its a single card solution with good power consumption and little cheaper than 2x 5870's... its not that bad.

It will probably see 3 or 4 years before it needs replacement (or dare I say 2x 5970's). 200 per year if you replaced it after 3. Spreading the cost... 55 pence per day, 16 quid a month.

I have an xmas bonus coming up, so its not so harsh for me to front the cash. Scan finance is always an option...
True, but still, I don't like shelling out that much on something that will be upgraded again in a year

Old 26-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #13
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Quote:
To be fair at those resolutions you don't exactly need that much AA, I basically never turn it on and I'm playing 1920x1200.
Are you playing on CRT or LCD? If its a panel, what is the native resolution?

I'll do a few screenies for comparison.

Achtung Baby!

Last edited by Killa-Kyle; 26-11-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 26-11-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Quote:
True, but still, I don't like shelling out that much on something that will be upgraded again in a year
I'm really hoping that a duel GPU solution will last longer than 12 months...

Achtung Baby!

Old 26-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

**** me, that's only 200 off my whole new build...
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #16
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozer View Post
**** me, that's only 200 off my whole "All the Exras and a Happy Ending" Price....
Fixed.

AFA (From Facebook) :

Yay little boys are awesome...

azrael316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #17
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

Quote:
Are you playing on CRT or LCD? If its a panel, what is the native resolution?

I'll do a few screenies for comparison.
LCD, 1920x1200 is the native resolution I have a BenQ FP241WZ.
Old 26-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #18
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Quote:
LCD, 1920x1200 is the native resolution I have a BenQ FP241WZ.
If your playing games at native res, its going to look better of course. I'm guessing this is why your saying the requirement for AA is much less?

I've updated the Far Cry 2 benchies with some non AA for comparison.

Achtung Baby!

Old 26-11-2009, 06:40 PM   #19
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

Quote:
If your playing games at native res, its going to look better of course. I'm guessing this is why your saying the requirement for AA is much less?

I've updated the Far Cry 2 benchies with some non AA for comparison.
It's not just to do with the native resolution, 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 are large enough resolutions that you shouldn't be noticing that many jagged edges so running maximum 2x or 4x should cover any really.
Old 26-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #20
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Quote:
It's not just to do with the native resolution, 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 are large enough resolutions that you shouldn't be noticing that many jagged edges so running maximum 2x or 4x should cover any really.
Not sure I can 100% agree with you there... 1920x1200 on my dell 30" looks like "medium ass".

Achtung Baby!