GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 26-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #21
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Killa-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud of
Re: The sexy HD 5970...

GTA4 benchmark. Everything set high as possible except:
View Distance: 30
Detail Distance: 30
Shadows: Off
I'll up these and do comparisons later.

I noted using GPU-Z that both GPU's were near 100% utilisation at the start of the benchmarks and maybe 40% towards the end.

I did 3 runs, here is the average results:

Average FPS: 61.00
Duration: 37.43 sec
CPU Usage: 36%
System memory usage: 75%
Video memory usage: 90%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 2560 x 1600 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Texture Filter Quality: Highest
View Distance: 30
Detail Distance: 30

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Ultimate
Service Pack 2
Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 5900 Series
Video Driver version: 8.14.10.700
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Achtung Baby!

Xfire: gokyle

Last edited by Killa-Kyle; 26-11-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Killa-Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #22
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Killa-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud ofKilla-Kyle has much to be proud of

Did a bit more testing in GTA4, seems the default benchmark isn't representative of real gameplay framerates at all. During normal gameplay GPU's are ~50% utilisation, similar to CPU. Framerates range from 20fps to 120 fps with the above config.

Seems GTA4 is still really br0ke when it comes to performance.

I've half a mind to write the Rockstar donkeys an strongly worded email asking why only ~50% of my GPU and CPU are being utilised.

Turning on shadows looks great but has a massive fps hit at this res

The opinions expressed in this post are purely that of my own and nothing to do with "GameOn Networking Ltd" unless otherwise stated.

Achtung Baby!

Old 27-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #23
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Yea GTA IV is teh fail on ATI GPU's as I found when I had a 4870, moving to the GTX 260 which should be on par got me a 50% boost in performance.

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #24
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

I'll post if I find any ATI GTA4 cures, turning off shadows defo helps.

Achtung Baby!

Old 23-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #25
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

I got Dirt 2 free with the card via Steam. Just after the game was release I got a chance to play. Its extremely playable at maxed out @ 2560x1600 res. FPS during gameplay is generally >50.
Not had any notable GFX lag while playing.

I guess I'm not seeing the any DX11 still being on Vista?

Achtung Baby!

Old 23-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #26
Snoozer
Banned

Snoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished roadSnoozer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa-Kyle View Post
I guess I'm not seeing the any DX11 still being on Vista?
I've yet to try Dirt 2 (I had the same voucher with my 5850) but I presume it's only W7. I'll give it a run tonight and see what my rig throws up.
Snoozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #27
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

It works on Vista without issues... I didn't check the DX version post install but I'm guessing my Vista is still 10.
My Crysis stopped working post DIRT2 install tho, so I wonder if it did something funky with the DX...
I'll post at some point what the story is.

Achtung Baby!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #28
Killa-Kyle

Antlion
Administrator

Glad to report the the new AvP multiplayer demo runs very nicely on the 5970. I'm guessing the full single player game will have more detail and will be DX11, however it's a very positive sign!

Can't wait to play the single player!

Achtung Baby!