GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Cars & Bikes

Cars & Bikes Talk about things with wheels or things that go vroom!

Old 24-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Sin_Chase

Vortigaunt

Sin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really niceSin_Chase is just really nice
GoPro Hero HD

Brief backstory - ~6 Months ago I wanted a mountable camera for the car I can take to track days, events and whatever else I do be it with my car or others. I'm picky, very picky about quality and Standard Res stuff was not cutting it for me. I researched a lot and anything HD, even only 720p cost the earth. Then about 3 weeks ago my friend got an Amazon link containing info about the GoPro Hero upgrade - HD. I checked it out and for the price was sold instantly. 720p 30/60FPS, 960p for non-wide capture and full on wide 1080p @ 30FPS. They have worked on the audio side of things and offer a wide array of attachments, the package I picked included a PanaVise suction cup mount. $300 - Sold. Sold. Sold.

So it arrived from the states the other day so chucked it on the car quickly and did a test

Did not get charged import tax or VAT (woot) so it came down a whole 100 cheaper than UK pricing. For 200 I am mighty impressed by the video quality. Audio is leaving a little to be desired at the moment but other people have better audio results than me so I do need to have a good fiddle with it.

The quality of the unit as a whole is pretty good, it looked a little plasticy on videos but the rubberised plastic they use has a very nice finish and it feels much more 'solid' when it is in your hands. I was a little weary of the suction cup at first and I wanted to make a tether but was unable to find anything soft enough to avoid destroying my paintwork so I thought "sod it" and whacked it on the car, pulled it and shaked it around a bit and that thing is going nowhere. The only one incident I found of it falling off was from someone who put it on in the morning, left it on for some hours un-used while the ambient temperature rose and as a result lost suction strength. Needless to say I was checking on it every minute

I was very impressed by the cameras ability to maintain exposure in bright sunlight without going totally crazy and it did not stutter or glitch once.

Instead of uploading to YouTube I thought I would offer anyone who is interested in one the RAW footage from the cam, it weighs in it 1.3GB and is not the most interesting of captures ever seen but it will show you the quality of the video and do it justice without compression and resizing.

GoPro Hero HD - S2000 - 1080p Test 1 (RAW)
Old 24-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute
Re: GoPro Hero HD

Heh, as you said, not the most interesting of caps, and I won't claim to know anything about how they work, but the actual video was pretty damn good quality.
Old 25-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
fuKKer

Human Grunt

fuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant future

1.3gb.... seriously??

i didn't think it was released until next year but the demo footage i saw of it was impressive.
I'm much like yourself when it comes to the quality of these onboard camera setups. 2 years ago i spent 340 on a Dogcamsport bulliet camera setup and i was not pleased with the results to say the least.
The recorder would drop a frame every second thus reducing it to 24fps, once you seen the frame being dropped you'd see it in every video recorded.

Here is a video of the first and last time i used it, unfortunatly i put in a crap place.

sh*te compared to that HD camera you have and i may buy one after reading this thread.
Old 26-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
fuKKer

Human Grunt

fuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant futurefuKKer has a brilliant future

Sin, i just watched that footage and i'm very impressed, will buy