GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > Gaming Forums - Chat about Video Games

Gaming Forums - Chat about Video Games Anything about gaming, any platform

Old 07-01-2015, 11:05 PM   #61
Ewok

Human Grunt

Ewok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to behold
Re: Elite Dangerous

Not sure if Bobster has accepted my request to join - sent it before this play session.

Done for night now. After my big victory I got cocky. Got killed scrapping a couple of Eagles

Last edited by Ewok; 07-01-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:40 PM   #62
Jamz

Antlion

Jamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe, yeah, you're in the group.

There will prob be a GG group made eventually too.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:42 AM   #63
Misterwoot

Manhack

Misterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura about

Commander Mister Woot reporting.
Bang
Blow
Shoot First, Second, Third and Fourth.... and ask questions to fill time while you reload.
Misterwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #64
Acelister

Tentacle

Acelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to all

That's a mouthful...
Old 08-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #65
Misterwoot

Manhack

Misterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura aboutMisterwoot has a spectacular aura about

I was tempted by Sesquipedalianist ...
Bang
Blow
Shoot First, Second, Third and Fourth.... and ask questions to fill time while you reload.
Misterwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 02:49 PM   #66
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Elite Dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz (rupert) View Post
There will prob be a GG group made eventually too.
Who's gonna call themselves GG then?
Old 08-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #67
Bobster

Tentacle

Bobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond reputeBobster has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Elite Dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok View Post
I'm still playing in solo mode Jamz.

Sod this trading cack. Just claimed me a 22k bounty in my crappy little Sidewinder
ooooh nice! Jamz got himself 16K the other night

I've upgraded to gimbled weapons, thinking of bounty hunting too!
Old 08-01-2015, 04:23 PM   #68
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Josh (Namredips) and I have been playing in a private session. Really don't need to find out whether the game has as many griefers as Eve so we're just keeping to ourselves for now.

Started out with the standard sidewinder and did various missions and a few trades to get the money together for a Hauler.

Upgraded that a bit and started doing some rare runs. There's a nice cluster of rare sites all within a jump of each other around Lave. I'll list them in a minute.

Fill up with rares then travel 170ly in any direction then sell. You'll buy rares for anything from a few hundred to a couple of thousand credits. When you sell them you'll get between 16k and 24k in my experience.

The 170 light year trip only takes about an hour of non stop jumping with a couple of stops for fuel.

We did that a couple of time then had enough to upgrade to a Cobra which I've upgraded to carry 36 tons with a 16ly jump range. Now the 170ly trip only takes about 20 minutes. I refuel with a fuel scoop which means you don't waste time docking.

Now we're trekking backwards and forwards beween the Lave rare cluster and another around 39 Tauri which has 3 decent sites to stock up on from. My record so far for this round trip has been about 970k. About 500k an hour.

Here are the cluster sites if anyone if interested.

The first one is Lave, then Uszaa, Diso, Leesti and Orrere. I manage to fill my 36 ton hold at this end.

You then jump to LHS 2441 which is about half way to 39 Tauri. You'll have trouble plotting a route the whole 170ly but LHS 2441 is easily routable to and you can route to 39 Tauri from there.

Then there's 39 Tauri, Fujin and Witchhaul. I can usually get between 25 and 30 tons here so it's not quite such a profitable route but more than pays for the petrol to get back to lave. I usually make about 300k on this leg. You can also include Wolf 1301 on this leg if you want but the rare from there, Wolf Fesh, is listed as illegal in some systems so I haven't bothered with it.

I got this route from this post on the Frontier forums. The same thread also has a long circular rares route with some 30 stops on the route. Buy in one place then sell when you've gone far enough and the price has risen enough. I'm saving up for a Type 6 to do this run with on my way to my goal of Anaconda ownership.

My Cobra is a real hard bastard with lots of armour, shields and weapons. I look forward to being interdicted now whereas I had a few sphincter tightening moments when flying my Hauler.

Last edited by Betty_Swallocks; 08-01-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Betty_Swallocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #69
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Betty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond reputeBetty_Swallocks has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, I forgot to say. If you're going to do this run and you still have your basic scanner get into the habit of doing a quick scan as you enter a system. On my first trip to 39 Tauri I made an extra 26k from selling my scan results from the trip.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #70
Ewok

Human Grunt

Ewok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to beholdEwok is a splendid one to behold

I've not even seen any of those systems... I'm not exactly well travelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
ooooh nice! Jamz got himself 16K the other night

I've upgraded to gimbled weapons, thinking of bounty hunting too!
It wasn't exactly a fair fight. I engaged an Python, figured my ship replacement cost was only a couple of hundered, so what was the worst that can happen.

Well I wasn't even scratching him, but the fight went on long enough for three fellow bounty hunters, piloting Cobra's, to join in. I sailed away to a safe distance, waiting for them to knock his shield out.

Then I swooped in, took the killing shot, then jumped into supercruise and hi-tailed it to the nearest station. Job done .
Old 08-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #71
Bobster

Tentacle

Jamz just picked up a tough 26Ker!
Old 08-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #72
Bobster

Tentacle

get your butts into the party!

and into TS!
Old 08-01-2015, 09:43 PM   #73
Acelister

Tentacle

Acelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to allAcelister is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks View Post
Oh, I forgot to say. If you're going to do this run and you still have your basic scanner get into the habit of doing a quick scan as you enter a system. On my first trip to 39 Tauri I made an extra 26k from selling my scan results from the trip.
And make sure you don't disable its firing group by accident. I've missed out on quite a bit of cash because I didn't realise the scanner not working was MY fault, not the fault of my Eagle.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:32 PM   #74
Jamz

Antlion

Jamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond reputeJamz has a reputation beyond repute
Just arrived at Lave station after about an hour from Eravate.

I purchased a Hauler before leaving and have two x8 slot cargo bays, a refinery and the basic discovery scanner, although with regard to that, I'm not actively pressing a button to scan new areas, should I be? I'm using xbox controller set up, plus keyboard for certain functions.

I'll let you know how I get on with your suggested route .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-01-2015, 05:39 AM   #75
Bobster

Tentacle

Useful tool
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showth...light=Bpc+tool
Old 09-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #76
Jamz

Antlion

Ok, SO I arrived at Lave without issue, purchased their rare items, Bob, rare items appear YELLOW in the commodities page, I think we were unaware of this last night when talking over TS.

Headed to the second place on your list before going to bed, but there was no name sake station, there were two landing platforms available in the system, however, neither had any rares.

Am I to head to the next destination on your list or wait for some to become available at either of these outposts?

Thanks for your advice Betty, as you can see I'm still extremely new!

What are your and Josh's commander names?

It would be awesome for all of us to meet up in bobsters group and maybe take the trip together?
Old 09-01-2015, 02:56 PM   #77
fazer

Manhack

fazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud of

Chaps if your doing rare runs, this is useful http://eliteraretrader.co.uk/
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #78
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

I've got some useful resources for rare trading.

Firstly there's Thrudd's Trading Tools which is a community populated trades database. You tell it where you are, what your maximum jump is, how much cargo capacity and cash you have and it'll tell you the best thing to buy and where to take it for maximum profit. It also shows you the distance from wherever you are to any particular rare site. This is useful if you want to just find a site at the 170 light year profit sweet spot. There's no point in going further than that as they don't get more valuable.

Next there's a post on the Elite Dangerous forum giving a list of rares with their location, what station they are at, and a lot of other information including the stations distance from the nav beacon. I would avoid the ones with stations hundreds of thousands of light seconds (or even in a couple of cases well over a million) away. You will waste a significant part of your life going to these places and the rare will be no more valuable than any other.

Another point I should mention. You'll see that it mentions maximum allocation. This doesn't mean that you'll find this many for sale. Usually you won't. I usually start at one end of the cluster, go to the other end then turn round and go back. You'll usually find more for sale on your second visit. The maximum allocation means that's the most you'll be allowed to buy in total until you've sold what you've got. So for example I might find 10 Tauri chimes when I get there. There's an allocation of 17 on those so I can come and go until I've got 17 but then no more will become available until I've sold those.

This is the post I got those two clusters from. Some very useful information on there including, further down, a long circular rare trading route that I'm going to try out now that I've bought a Type 6. A few goes around with that should get me all the ships my heart desires.

And finally here's something to listen to while on those long 170ly non-stop jumps. Radio Corvus. An Elite themed radio station.

Last edited by Betty_Swallocks; 09-01-2015 at 05:23 PM.
Betty_Swallocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:02 AM   #79
Betty_Swallocks
Super Moderator

Bob? Have you been having any trouble with your private group since the 1.04 update? Josh and I were having no problems before the update but now we can see each other if we're in open space but in the private group we get dumped in different servers.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:00 AM   #80
Bobster

Tentacle

Lightbulb Re: Elite Dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Swallocks View Post
Bob? Have you been having any trouble with your private group since the 1.04 update? Josh and I were having no problems before the update but now we can see each other if we're in open space but in the private group we get dumped in different servers.
Jamz and I were on with 1.04 the other night, no problems, could see each other just fine..

he did have a little trouble docking however