GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > Gaming Forums - Chat about Video Games > First Person Shooter

Old 10-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute
Duke Nukem Forever is out Now!

Duke Nukem Forever is out Now!

Visit here to read more

2K Games and Gearbox Software are proud to announce the legendary Duke Nukem Forever has arrived and is now available in the UK on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Windows PC.

......Read More

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Duke Nukem Forever is out Now!

Cant play it until 5 , Still at least its pre loaded and ready to go

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Cronos

Antlion

Cronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond reputeCronos has a reputation beyond repute

And it's fookin' awesome!!!!

"The standard you walk past, is the standard you accept."

I have brave fight to wild bear
I have strong arm lift to wild bear
I am so fast more than train
Cronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
fazer

Manhack

fazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud offazer has much to be proud of

When can we expect to see a GameOn server rasher?
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Adam2208

Barnacle

Adam2208 will become famous soon enoughAdam2208 will become famous soon enoughAdam2208 will become famous soon enoughAdam2208 will become famous soon enoughAdam2208 will become famous soon enoughAdam2208 will become famous soon enoughAdam2208 will become famous soon enoughAdam2208 will become famous soon enoughAdam2208 will become famous soon enoughAdam2208 will become famous soon enoughAdam2208 will become famous soon enough

Now, I haven't played the game (and don't intend to) but do you think the main reason as to why it's not meant to be very good (according to the reviews) is because it's probably the most hyped game in existence? It's been in development for 12 years.
Adam2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably because those reviewers either have no idea what Duke's about, or they've forgotten. It was never going to be a classic masterpiece with a deep plot and intricate level design. It's a mysoginistic, dick-joke, swear-a-thon with awesome weapons to kill aliens with. Never expect anything more and it's as awesome as it should be.
Dead Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam2208 View Post
Now, I haven't played the game (and don't intend to)...
I lost interest in what you were saying as your taste in games is poor. I haven't played it yet aside from the demo, but I know I'm going to love this game when I play it. If it took itself serious enough to get good game reviews it would not be worthy of the name Duke Nukem.
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 07:34 AM   #8
Flarty

Fast Headcrab

Flarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the roughFlarty is a jewel in the rough

its a good game, but i miss the level design of duke 3d, the level design is so linear that it makes it impossible to back track and leaves nothing to explore. Also the regen health and 2 weapon system has made it some sort of weird cod/halo hybrid game. But apart from that its fun as hell. i dont know why people are complaining about graphics, they look fine on my pc. deserves a good 7/10

I wont be replaying the sp again any time soon. But im going to see how long mp lasts with such a small number of maps.
Flarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why its getting slated, reviewers don't seem to take into account the game is just pure fun.

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 15-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #10
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

Ha, it's funny how panned this game is. Only a handful of places have rated it over 4/10... I'd say "told ya so" but I haven't picked up a copy to check how good it is for myself. Nor will I, but as soon as I find somebody who's been daft enough to shell out sixty bucks for the single most overhyped game to ever exist I'll probably have a quick play.

Also, as untrusting as it sounds, I really hope the GO review is balanced. It's probably safe to say GameOn became a little bit too obsessed with Duke...

Last edited by Fat Tony; 15-06-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
Platinum
raggggggggge

People need to look at the game for what it is, Duke Nukem, puerile childish fun that doesn't take itself to seriously, that's it, accept that and you will enjoy it, if not then the game is not for you, doesn't make it a bad game.
I think these reviewers are trying to compare it to COD or just don't understand what the games trying to be.
That said a lot of the complaints I have read about the game only seem to relate to the 360 version, the PC version is largely unaffected by them so I do wonder why the PC version gets slated for the same problems?
Personally if I were reviewing it I would give it a 7 out of 10, as a shooter its average at best, however Duke for me helps a lot in bringing the overall score up for me, its funny, childish and yea ill play it again just for lolz.

Old 15-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
Fat Tony

Human Grunt

Fat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud ofFat Tony has much to be proud of

I didn't realize COD wasn't just childish puerile fun?

(Also I just discovered I've been spelling "puerile" wrong all my life)

I think the problem is people are bumping the score up just because it's Duke. A game doesn't have to be wildly in-depth for it to be great, but c'mon.
Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2011, 05:18 AM   #13
Dead Alive

Antlion

Dead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond reputeDead Alive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
I think the problem is people are bumping the score up just because it's Duke. A game doesn't have to be wildly in-depth for it to be great, but c'mon.
From what I can see it's the polar opposite, and they're putting the score down because it's Duke. People are saying it's terrible - then at the end it's 'because it's Duke Nukem and we've waited this long, it should be better.'

Like a few folk here have said, that's the wrong way to look at it. It'd be like a Legend of Zelda game getting delayed for 14 years then when it's finally released reviewers en masse said there weren't enough dick jokes. Duke isn't a serious shooter. It's not hard to grasp (or rather, apparently it is), it's not trying to be game of the year, or compete with Half Life for story-telling and atmosphere. It's going for humour and killing ****, which it does adequately enough.

The only major complaints I have with the game on the whole, is regenerating health (which I despise in all games, not just this) and the maps aren't as open (thus filled with next to no secrets). Other than that, I play, I shoot things, I laugh at the jokes and enjoy it for what it is.
Old 16-06-2011, 07:49 AM   #14
Platinum
raggggggggge

There are secrets you just have to look for them, anyone found the Glory Hole yet?

Old 16-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
Dead Alive

Antlion

I was meaning more actual secrets over easter eggs. Like in Duke 3D where you'd find one in a wall or behind a bookcase with an Atomic Health or something hidden there. It's not needed in this because of sodding regen health.
Old 16-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #16
ExcessNeo

Bullsquid

ExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond reputeExcessNeo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum View Post
There are secrets you just have to look for them, anyone found the Glory Hole yet?
Yea I found it
ExcessNeo is offline   Reply With Quote