GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Hardware Discussion

Hardware Discussion Discuss Hardware and ask for unsupported help

Old 26-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Platinums home server project

So I thought I should start a little thread to document my new build for people who are into that kind of thing.

Basialy its a upgrade to my small server project I bodged together a while back to give me a fully featured home server / lab machine.

The old machine was my old media pc based around a Core i7 2600k CPU and 4gb memory, storage was my old Readynas box with 4x 2tb drives.

My plan is to turn that machine into a full on home server, why well because I can and also because it offers a lot more flexability and gives me a better platform for learning.

Its pretty much a new build, the only things I a keeping from that box is the CPU and the SSD.

The new box will have the following hardware :

Fractal Design 304 Chassis
Asus P8H77-I motherboard
16gb (2x8gb) Kingston Kyper X 1600MHz CL10 1.35v memory
Core i7 2600k
Antec Earthwatts 450w Platinum rated PSU
4x 2tb Western Digital Red Hard drives
64gb Crucial M4 SSD

Looks a odd combination for a server right? well there is reasoning there, the case, well I wanted to stick with a SFF (Small form factor Kris) case, and looking around the Fractal design node picked it self (you will see why when I put pics of the build up), the motherboard was selected because its the only ITS board I could find with 6 SATA ports, I could use a PCI-E slot but I want to keep that single PCI-E slot free for a dual port NIC.
Memory is overkill but oddly it was cheaper at the time that standard Kingston ValueRam, and being 1.35v it will cut a few watts from the power draw.
The PSU, well anyone who knows me knows that I dont skimp on the PSU, its the most importent part of any PC alongside the monitor so a Platinum rated one seemed sensible seeing as the machine will be on 24/7.
Hard drives selected because WD rated them to run 24/7.

Software wise I plan to install Server 2012 as the base OS, have it set up for file sharing to start and then add roles as and when I see fit.
Ill be using Hyper V on top of that for anything I want to test / want to have a play with relating to my work development.

Most of the parts have arrived, just waiting on the Chassis and Heatsink from Scan which should be arriving tomorrow, I have the week off next week so ill get it built probably over the weekend and the software on soon after, then next week I can have a play around with Server 2012 and no doubt break things

Well there it is so far, I plan to add some pics when I build it, yea you have all seen PC's in bits but I think this one is a little unique given the form factor and the fact its not going to be a gaming PC.

Hopefully this thread will prove mildly interesting and not end up in the depths of the forum with no replys

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Platinum
raggggggggge

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Platinums home server project

Also if anyone is interested, once I have removed the CPU and SSD from the current box I plan to get a lower end Intel chip that has a GPU suitable for media duty's and put it back under the TV.
A side project with that that I plan to do is have it not only handle media duty's but also act as a mini test SAN set up most likely using Starwind.

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 26-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Platinum
raggggggggge

Pic of new kit that's arrived so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	886469_10151539371939577_1452021899_o.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	23865  

Old 26-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Gunner002

Antlion

Gunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to beholdGunner002 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plat
SFF (Small form factor Kris)
I lol'd, love the choice of case. Nice to see WD reds in a home server build, all it needs now is a RAID setup and 10gbps fiber home network.
AMD R9 290X @ 1100/1420MHz
OCZ 512GB Vertex 4 X2
XFX XXX 650watt PSU
Corsair Vengeance C70 Black
Gunner002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #5
alsenior

Roller Mine

alsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond repute

if you want to pull some "linux" ISO's off my file server at the lan your more than welcome bring a GIGe Switch. i dont have mine anymore.
Old 26-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner002 View Post
10gbps fiber home network.
Lol.. Not anytime soon for the Exchange Plat is on.

AFA (From Facebook) :

Yay little boys are awesome...

azrael316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Platinum
raggggggggge

Yea no worrys mate, I have a little 5 port switch here and 2 Nics in my PC so I could have a dedicated lan gaming nic and a dedicated leech Al's "isos' link, and if anyone else wants to there would be 3 spare ports

Im assuming the server will be on the standard lan as well?

Remind me before the lan and ill bring it

Old 26-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #8
Platinum
raggggggggge

For anyone to lazy to Google it, this is the chassis thats arriving tomorrow :

http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=94

Check some of the reviews and you will see its clearly the best one for the job and epic at making use of all the available space

Old 26-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
alsenior

Roller Mine

alsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond reputealsenior has a reputation beyond repute

I may have a new one before the LAN anyway it was just my 24 port dell was noise and drunk power like plat drinks booze im just looking for a nice managed gige switch. my paln is to have people lash up servers on a seperate switch and then have a lag from to this switch to the rest of the lan. this is to try limit the amount of data going over the main switches.
Old 26-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
alsenior

Roller Mine

the node 304 is a sexy case for a home nas. if supermicro or tyan made a itx socket 1155 board i would be all over it.
Old 26-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #11
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner002 View Post
10gbps fiber home network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael316 View Post
Lol.. Not anytime soon for the Exchange Plat is on.
Why would Plat's home network rely on his exchange?
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
finlay666

Poisonous Zombie

finlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud of

Are you able to bring this to the lan? Really want to see a node case in person as I'm tempted to get one for a similar project
finlay666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
Platinum
raggggggggge

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsenior View Post
the node 304 is a sexy case for a home nas. if supermicro or tyan made a itx socket 1155 board i would be all over it.
Yea the Asus board I bought should be fine, 6 onboard SATA ports and I plan to stick a dual port Intel Nic in the PCI-E slot.

Old 26-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #14
alsenior

Roller Mine

i would have a pci-e controller card in that slot so i would need 2 ports on board. actually come to think of it i think intel do a board with 2 nics onboard. hmmm.
Old 26-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #15
Platinum
raggggggggge

Quote:
Originally Posted by finlay666 View Post
Are you able to bring this to the lan? Really want to see a node case in person as I'm tempted to get one for a similar project
If its working by then (Still learning with 2012) but if so yea ill load it up with my 4tb worth of "iso's" hook it up to al's network and share

Old 27-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
Platinum
raggggggggge

All the kit has arrived!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	882063_10151540970014577_2037224179_o.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	23866  

Old 28-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
alsenior

Roller Mine

Need more pics

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2
Old 28-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
Platinum
raggggggggge

Yea I'll post pics as I build it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Old 30-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
Platinum
raggggggggge

Just realized I never posted pics, here are some
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	892269_10151545805989577_1999336774_o.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	191.3 KB
ID:	24005   Click image for larger version

Name:	893999_10151545805429577_2139868109_o.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	24006   Click image for larger version

Name:	894667_10151545804679577_1004599079_o.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	24007   Click image for larger version

Name:	894720_10151545806514577_117979514_o.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	24008   Click image for larger version

Name:	901443_10151545806889577_1808777583_o.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	24009  

Name:	903009_10151545805584577_1745362095_o.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	24010   Click image for larger version

Name:	906510_10151545804959577_1053113726_o.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	24011