GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > All Things GameGrin (GG) > Web Site: Updates & Problems

Web Site: Updates & Problems Noticed a problem with the GameGrin site or unsure how to use a feature? Post in here for more information.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:45 PM   #1
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute
Help: Checking Videos

As per other post
There is simple jobs sometimes which get missed.

We upload hundreds of Game Trailers each week to our YouTube Channel.
Its not easy to spot video which get copyright claims on them.

Example would be last week we put up the 12 minute Batman Trailer, What we didn't know is that there was a copyright ownership taken (by IGN, that's a story for another day)

Because we are logged in to YouTube all the time, when we play a video from the website or YouTube it will NOT show us that the video isn't available. it just plays the video as normal.
As you can image this is quite damaging for us if people come to the website to see a trailer ands its not there or viewable.

So, what can you do to help?
Simple, if you are in a position to watch trailers (i.e. not at work )
Just simply if you see a news post with a trailer, just check the trailer works for us.
If it doesn't, let us know by either posting in the news post or in this support forum with a link to the news post in question.
That is it.

An example of a video not showing
(this trailer plays for me because i am logged in as GameOn, so i never spot them straight away)

Just as a note: the Batman one that we was been informed about (by a user), that the video had a copyright notice on it, We got it re-enabled and in less than a week has has over 200'000 views on it. This pay just for the fact that people follow us or even come to the website after seeing the trailer.

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help: Checking Videos

So basically just keep a eye on all news posts and see if the vid works, Youtube pulls it if there's a issue anyhow don't they?
This I can do, Can only check evenings and weekends though and obviously would let people know if I am away and cant check.
I get about 100000 notifications via Facebook and Twitter when a new post goes up anyhow

"Left cex. Am up on high street
Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Platinum

Tentacle

Platinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond reputePlatinum has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about it, if there all Youtube rather than checking the site would it be better to check the Youtube channel every day or so?

Going to cash gen opposite primark. Then into game in the bridges." - djd4ws0n 2017
Old 08-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #4
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute

no, because it wont show you videos they have removed on our list on the right hand side.
Our Channel, only shows you (the user) www.youtube.com/GOGameOn what is enabled.
Again, we still see disabled videos on the right hand side and have no idea if they have been disabled, but you wouldn't.

On top of this, more the ones that we post as news or in reviews/preview which are more important.
We get around 40% + copyright notices on our videos - not all of them block them
We have around 5 and half thousand trailers up there now, If they remove something we don't have linked in, then it don't really effect us.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-07-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
finlay666

Poisonous Zombie

finlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud of

I have already written some software that will do it for you if you are interested, did some similar stuff for a site where we were going to upload & manage videos on youtube (& vimeo, but in the end just vimeo) for them and had a tool that pulled the rss feed of their videos down and then checked each video to see the status

Could adapt it next weekend (got revision for an exam this coming week) and shouldn't take much longer than the weekend to do

HTML Code:
<entry xmlns='http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom' xmlns:app='http://purl.org/atom/app#' xmlns:media='http://search.yahoo.com/mrss/' xmlns:yt='http://gdata.youtube.com/schemas/2007'>
  <id>http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos/2qY2cLRTKjQ</id>
  <published>2011-06-06T07:21:08.000Z</published>
  <updated>2011-06-06T07:25:40.000Z</updated>
  <app:control>
    <app:draft>yes</app:draft>
    <yt:state name='restricted' reasonCode='requesterRegion'>This video is not available in your region.</yt:state>
  </app:control>
  <category scheme='http://schemas.google.com/g/2005#kind' term='http://gdata.youtube.com/schemas/2007#video'/>
  <title type='text'>Tomb Raider Turning Point Trailer</title>
  <link rel='alternate' type='text/html' href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qY2cLRTKjQ&amp;feature=youtube_gdata'/>
  <link rel='self' type='application/atom+xml' href='http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos/2qY2cLRTKjQ'/>
  <author>
    <name>GOGameOn</name>
    <uri>http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/users/gogameon</uri>
  </author>
  <media:group>
    <media:category label='Gaming' scheme='http://gdata.youtube.com/schemas/2007/categories.cat'>Games</media:category>
    <media:title type='plain'>Tomb Raider Turning Point Trailer</media:title>
  </media:group>
</entry>

That is just the unauthenticated stuff that I (well anyone with the knowhow) can access about <VERY> basic data about a video, you can do a lot more with a generated API key from the developer centre associated to your account, I would have to have a better look at it next week when I can

Given the number of videos you have it would be silly to manually do the process over and over if there is an automated way of doing it

I'll drop you a skype later about it, some example videos of what does and doesn't work would be great, and can set it up so you don't have to give me your pin, mothers maiden name and national insurance number
finlay666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
Hairy

Bullsquid

Hairy has a reputation beyond reputeHairy has a reputation beyond reputeHairy has a reputation beyond reputeHairy has a reputation beyond reputeHairy has a reputation beyond reputeHairy has a reputation beyond reputeHairy has a reputation beyond reputeHairy has a reputation beyond reputeHairy has a reputation beyond reputeHairy has a reputation beyond reputeHairy has a reputation beyond repute

You must spread your legs before giving it to Finlay again blah, blah, blah .....

The views stated here are God's and not mine, unless otherwise stated.
Hairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Ohh nice one Finlay, stuff like this will save us so much time you wouldn't believe.
I was aware of the API but never understood enough of it to look at it tbh.

Again, thanks and i will speak to you on Skype soon

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
Platinum

Tentacle

Nice one Fin!

Old 12-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
finlay666

Poisonous Zombie

finlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud offinlay666 has much to be proud of

Working on this now, a few days and I should have something usable, having to fit it in round studies for my exam on Friday (makes a welcome break)

Got the first 25 videos from the GameOn feed if that is any consolation

Edit: Bloody hell rasher, over 5000 videos!!!!! (5509 on this count) Looks like I have my work cut out for me!

Turns out as I'm just reading and not uploading like last time I don't even need a username/password from you, made an API key on my account and linked it to the gameon site just incase but it seems ok
Old 18-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
finlay666

Poisonous Zombie

Got to check the actual status checking side of things..... but

Old 19-07-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
finlay666

Poisonous Zombie

Going to need to figure out a way around this 1000 video limit, it's beginning to pose a fairly major issue and don't want to have to add the other thousands in manually
Old 19-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #12
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Cheers for the update,
I will try to catch you tomorrow (fully booked and busy today)
see if we can throw some ideas about

Follow me on Twitter
Old 19-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #13
finlay666

Poisonous Zombie

Can do, I'm not sure how easy it would be but it might be a case of something like creating playlists for videos then checking those or something like that, will have another shifty after work as it's going to annoy me until I figure out a way around it!