GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > All Things GameGrin (GG) > Web Site: Updates & Problems

Web Site: Updates & Problems Noticed a problem with the GameGrin site or unsure how to use a feature? Post in here for more information.

Old 13-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute
User titles - More changes coming

Ok
User titles was designed to be expanded

Now we have some extra items to add to the list now
So were going to be adding them in to the system soon

We wasn't sure if to carry them on from after Nihilanth
but after looking over the system fully this week
they are going to be added in to where they match on the current list

There is only about 3 news to add but with Luke's request he has pointed out 2 or 3 which we missed and he thinks should be put in now

Now after a look at the current system the images are so outdated
so need to take a full set of new images
(if anyone wants to do this job please say as it would save us about a week of work in running through the games taking screen shots)

Current list can be found here

As i said above we had thought about adding them to the end but it would really look out of place.

Remember the whole point the user titles was to have a system which will last for as long as needed
We have done about 2 or 3 other systems in the past
but most of them didnt get above 3k posts and was too easy to hit

The current order of the user titles wasnt an easy one made
Took us weeks of going through the games and lot of debates about where to place them.
If you are a really big Half-Life fan and want to help with it, just say and were add you in to the team of who ever works on it

Follow us on Facebook / Twitter
Follow me on Twitter
Rasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
Vulpine

Vortigaunt

Vulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant futureVulpine has a brilliant future
Can someone with a suitable 3D package and the knowledge, get the actual models from the HL2 directory and take screens that way?

It would mean a uniform look to the images?

I have no idea how it would be done, I thought if it because I seem to remember being able to view counter strike skins/models and with a bit of freeware some years ago!? Anyone?

EDIT: Maybe: http://www.wunderboy.org/apps/jhlmv.php

Last edited by Vulpine; 13-02-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Vulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Rasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond reputeRasher has a reputation beyond repute
if they could that would be much better
if they could, its going to be who can take the time to do it
not many people like doing the "little" but "long" jobs like this
hence why i end up always doing them

Follow me on Twitter
Old 13-02-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

POBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of light
On a further note, what about assigning unique title's, like "Promaestro"

hint hint
POBmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #5
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

POBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of lightPOBmaestro is a glorious beacon of light
OK I am willing to upgrade the forum title images. It may take a week or so as I have a number of other projects on the go, but I don't mind doing a bit each nite. Need a bit of help to get this done right tho

Garry's mod might be a good place to start on the HL2 side of things, but does anyone know anyway of getting HL1 models in this way?

Or alternatively can I put HL1 and HL2 models into the same model viewer. If so where do I find the actual models?

Also would Source SDK be any good for this? Its 1gb (>5hr download) so I would like someone to tell me if its any good first

Ok ok, looks like I can use the older version of HLMV (Half-Life Model Viewer) for the HL1 engine, and the newer version included in the Source SDK for HL2 engine stuff. That's so long as a black background for all images is fine; it will give it a more uniform look at least.

Last edited by POBmaestro; 03-03-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Addtion +1 :)
Old 03-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Blak

Human Grunt

Blak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond reputeBlak has a reputation beyond repute
If you bought the silver package back when HL2 came out then you'll have Half-Life:Source with the HL1 models tarted up into the source engine so you'll be able to use them in Garry's Mod.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

Nop just got vanilla HL2. Anyhow you gotta have retro graphics

Although I do have the HL1 Definition pack which bring them up to PS2 quality
Old 04-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
azrael316

Combine Soldier Elite

azrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond reputeazrael316 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by POBmaestro View Post
Although I do have the HL1 Definition pack which bring them up to PS2 quality
Ah, so same as on my old 486DX2 then.

AFA (From Facebook) :

Yay little boys are awesome...

azrael316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #9
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

i can sort you out an account with access to HL1 Source if you like m8

Follow me on Twitter
Old 04-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #10
Beanz
Super Moderator

Beanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond reputeBeanz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
i can sort you out an account with access to HL1 Source if you like m8
But what's Luke going to play with?
Beanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 PM   #11
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

Thanks Rasher, if I could use Garry's mod for both that would be ace.

2 problems at the moment:

1. No idea where to find HL1 models (.mdl), other than the "high def" ones.
2. No idea how to use Source SDK to view HL2 models. [FIXED] - Was using Source SDK Base

Stumped atm but I'm sure you guys can help. Although just using Gmod for both would solve these easy. Plus any chance to annoy smiles

Last edited by POBmaestro; 04-03-2008 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

FAO Rasher

I've made a quick list of the models I can do using Source SDK and HLMV. Those with "NONE" next to them I cannot find and I may not be able to do.

Current
Scanner - SDK
Snark - NONE
Houndeye - HLMV
Baby Headcrab - NONE
Headcrab - SDK + HLMV
Zombie - SDK + HLMV
Barnacle - SDK
Fast Headcrab - SDK
Fast Zombie - SDK
Poisonous Headcrab - SDK
Poisonous Zombie - SDK
Roller Mine - SDK
Hopper Mine NONE
Manhack - SDK
Human Grunt - HLMV
Vortigaunt - Alien Slave - SDK + HLMV
Bullsquid - NONE
Antlion - SDK
Civil Protection - SDK
Combine Soldier - SDK
Combine Soldier Elite - SDK
Assassin - HLMV
Alien Grunt - NONE
Alien Controller - NONE
Ichthyosaur - SDK
Garg - NONE
Antlion Guard - SDK
Gonarch - NONE
Combine Gunship - SDK
Strider - SDK
Nihilanth - NONE
Dr Breen - SDK

Smiles Suggestions
Combine Chopper - SDK
Combine Dropship - SDK
Hunter- SDK
Acid Antloin Worker - SDK
Adviszers - SDK

Possible Additions (All in SDK and/or HLMV)
Gman?
Monk?
Kleniner?
Alyx?
Barney?
Dog?
Eli?
Monk?
Mossman?
Odessa?
Stalker?
Restistance?
Scientist?

WTF are these? (I've not played ep2 yet...)
Sheild Scanner
Synth
Mortar Synth

HL1 Source may help make some of these appear in SDK. Unless someone can point out where to find vanilla HL1 .mdl files.
Some I may be able to take in game, then replace the background with the blue stock colour of the others - this will take more time.

I'm not about tonite, so I will badger you some more 2moro

Last edited by POBmaestro; 05-03-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Luke posted these
i will sort out the missing ones with you tomorrow if your around m8

http://forums.gamegrin.com/blog.php?b=39

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #14
Teddy Slayer

Snark

Teddy Slayer will become famous soon enoughTeddy Slayer will become famous soon enoughTeddy Slayer will become famous soon enoughTeddy Slayer will become famous soon enoughTeddy Slayer will become famous soon enoughTeddy Slayer will become famous soon enoughTeddy Slayer will become famous soon enoughTeddy Slayer will become famous soon enoughTeddy Slayer will become famous soon enoughTeddy Slayer will become famous soon enoughTeddy Slayer will become famous soon enough
Pob, shield scanner is the weird scanners that appear in 'Follow Freeman' that like to shine a torch in your face, and they drop batteries when they die. They're white not grey and if you want to see one go to the bit where a strider smashes through a tunnel behind you and you have to run up a building to get the rpg crate, they spawn infinitely over there.

Synth (I think its called crab synth) and mortar synth are the two monsters you can see walking around on some catwalks at the top of the citadel, while you are being taken up in the pod at the end of hl2. You never actually fight them.
Teddy Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #15
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

The extra zombie soldier is in SDK too so I can do that

See below some tests I did with colours

->The first is the primary GO colour of the forums, and is what I think it should be as it blends in nicely.

->The second is the secondary GO colour, which doesn't blend so nicely.

->The third is the colour Rasher (using HEX) said it was.

Please also comment on the size. These are (roughly) 256x256. Maybe 128x128 would be better for space and load times. I will have 2 images for each character, keeping to the size ratio for every single one to keep a unified look.

Enjoy:
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #16
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

I installed HL again outside of steam and now I can access all the models required, even the baby headcrabs! I should be able to get to work 2moro

Below are just some more tests, showing 128x128:
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #17
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

FAO/FYI Rasher et al

In-case I don't see you today Rasher, or for anyone who's interested:

All 33 of the original titles have been located and progress is good on getting them done.

Also got another 33 new titles which need to be decided on if they are to be included. This needs to be done quick as they are all taken and I need to know which to crop and resize etc.

Finally, as I am doing 2 of each title, would you like to have them seperate or join them into one file? (see testing at the bottom)

The new titles are:

Smiles Suggestions
Combine Chopper
Combine Dropship
Hunter
Acid Antloin Worker
Adviszers
Zombie Soldier

Others
Gman
Alyx
Barney
Restistance Medic
Restistance Soldier
Scientist
Combine APC
Prison Soldier

Opposing Force Extras
Baby Voltigore
Barney Zombie
Geneworm
Voltigore
Pit Tenticle
Strooper
Grunt Recruit
Pit Worm
Pit Drone
Otis
Blackop Assassin
Commander Grunt
Engie Grunt
Medic Grunt
Heavy Zombie
Drill Sergeant
Blackop Osprey
Blackop Apache
Cleansuit Scientist

And just some more tests to see how these are coming out: (2 Antlions on the left are 2 seperate files while the 2 on the right is one file)
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #18
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Really nice work so far m8

as for the background colours

I prefer that one as it seems to blend in with most of GO's Colours

Or how about doing them transparent?
then they will go with any page layout

just a thought

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #19
Rasher

Tentacle
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by POBmaestro View Post
Please also comment on the size. These are (roughly) 256x256. Maybe 128x128 would be better for space and load times. I will have 2 images for each character

Enjoy:

I think 128x128
bandwidth/space isnt an issue (ever)
but its just the load time for users

originally we was only going to have 2 images per
but some of them needed more images (like the Grunts) as there was more than 2 types of them

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #20
POBmaestro

Human Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasher View Post
Really nice work so far m8

as for the background colours

I prefer that one as it seems to blend in with most of GO's Colours

Or how about doing them transparent?
then they will go with any page layout

just a thought
COCK. Done the colours which blend into the background already. Half way into the project now and changing that would mean starting again. I did ask what colours 3 days ago and as no-one replied I went with what I liked so there you go

Transparent isn't possible, unless you can set the transparent colour to the colour I've done them too already.