GameGrin Gaming Forums
Home LANs Forums Reviews Previews

Go Back   GameGrin Gaming Forums > General Community Forums > Hardware, Software, Gadgets, Phones Discussion > Tech Chat > Software Discussion

Software Discussion Discuss Software and ask for unsupported help

Old 23-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Vale

Vortigaunt

Vale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to behold
VPS recommendations

Hi,

I want to find a vps provider that offers access to vsphere server or similar.

Basically I want to be able to mount what ever appliances I want inside the resources I have rather than having access to the OS of just one server - if you get what I mean.

Any ideas?
Old 24-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
tehBoris

Snark

tehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the rough
Re: VPS recommendations

The problem you have is that each company that hosts VPS's can do it any number of ways. Using vSphere is really the expensive option for them. You will need to look for 'cloud VPS' which is what it is usually called.

This is often quite a bit more expensive but that's because you get far grater flexibility with regards to resource assignment and fail over redundancy.

The only company I know of other than rack space that are cheaper than rack space that offer this is UKFast. Unfortunately they are still expensive.

http://www.ukfast.co.uk/mycloudstack-virtual.html

You would probably be better off buying a dedicated server and installing Xen or similare manually in terms of cost.
tehBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
Vale

Vortigaunt

Vale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to beholdVale is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

Thanks for the info - spot on..

Any you're right - well out of my budget. :/

What do you mean in terms of buying a dedicated server? hosted with a provider? or at home?
Old 24-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #4
tehBoris

Snark

tehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the roughtehBoris is a jewel in the rough

If you get a dedicated server (pick from one of any web host) then you can do any thing you want including install virtualisation software. Since your original goal was to be able to run what ever appliances you want, this will do it.

You could, of course, if you where mad enough, install virtualisation inside a VPS. Though memory usage would probably become a issue fast.
tehBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
JaneJLocane

Scanner

JaneJLocane is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks a lot!
JaneJLocane is offline   Reply With Quote